• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I've never been there....to those that have, is it a typical State run facility where there are some benches and a berm without range officers, or is it more formal like Cresap or one of our shoots where there are RO's and determined cold times? I'm thinking about meeting a group of guys there, but I want to know what to expect.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Most likely, there will be no RO. We had a volunteer program going earlier this year that provided RO coverage on the weekends, but things have slowed during the summer and there is little to no coverage these days.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    It really depends on the day you plan to go shooting...Remember that they are closed on Mondays, well closed until 4pm so basically closed.

If you go on the weekend there may on may not be a Range Safety Officer....As Jaredm1 said the Volunteer program is on life support due to some weak individuals that are slackers :sad20:. my opinion of course.

If you go just try to follow the rules and you should have fun...and bring an acceptable target stand that puts your point of impact at least 48 inches off the ground.:D

And Pistols are to be used on the Pistol range and Rifles on the Rifle range and shotguns on the shotgun range.... That's for the slow people : ) lol

ELK NECK STATE FOREST SHOOTING RANGE REGULATIONS
    1. No automatic weapons.
    2. Semi-automatic fire limited to one round per second.
    3. Center of target must be minimum four (4) feet of the ground.
    4. Targets must be in direct line with the shooter to avoid cross fire and errant rounds.
    5. Only paper targets may be used on pistol and rifle ranges.
    6. All target stands must be removed from premises after use.
    7. All hulls, brass, and spent cartridges must be picked up and removed.
    8. No shot shells for patterning. Shot shells may only be used at the skeet area.
    9. All targets must be free-standing. Targets must not be fastened to or leaned against baffles
    or support posts.
    10. No shooting at baffles or supports posts.
    11. A “cease fire” or line clear must be called prior to going down range.
    12. When shooters are down range, all firearms are to be unloaded and all
    breeches open. Firearms are not to be handled.
    13. No loaded firearms behind or forward of shooting areas.
    14. Alcohol and all other controlled dangerous substances are prohibited.
    15. Pets are prohibited.
    16. All shooters must have a valid range permit in possession, or have paid the daily admission.
    17. Children must not be left unattended.
    18. All shooting must be done in a safe manner and only at designated areas.
    19. Annual Permit is valid from date of purchase through December 31 of the year issued.
    20. Firearms are to remain at the firing line or in designated holders and may not be worn on
    person at any time on the way to or from the ranges, and during use of the ranges.
    21. Clay targets are restricted to the Skeet Range.
    ELK NECK STATE FOREST (410) 287-5675 Emergency 911 or 1- 800-825-PARK

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    I have only seen a RO there once, on the pistol range. He was real good at letting the shooters (3-4 of us) determine when we need to go cold.
    I have never seen a RO on the rifle range. All of the times I have shot there, the other shooters were real good at communicating back and forth so as to accommodate new shooters and allow for target changes.
    All in all everything ran real smooth.
    For pictures of the range, go here; http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/elkneckSF.asp

Hart-Attack

Nov 20, 2008
    Fallston, MD
    i was just there on saturday for my first time. finally got to shoot my new AR :). my wife and i got there around 1:15 or so and had a brief wait to get our target setup. there was a RO there, Mike i recall was his name. very nice guy and was very helpful with any questions we had. he even lent us some of the bench bags to help my wife get more comfortable shooting. i will be going back there again in the future.

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    Gentlemen and Ladies,

The ranges at Elk Neck will be closed beginning August 16, 2010. We are closing to make needed repairs to the baffling system. The pistol range will be closed first followed by the rifle range. During the closure, one range will remain open and we will not allow for crossover of firearms.

Thanks,

ENSF

jsl1106

Dec 7, 2008
    Perryville, MD
    "And Pistols are to be used on the Pistol range and Rifles on the Rifle range and shotguns on the shotgun range.... That's for the slow people : ) lol "

I'm sorry, I don't see where it says no pistols on the rifle range. Am I missing something? I guess I can't sight my Wichita Arms .308 handgun in at 100 yards then? Can someone clarify where exactly it is a rule that handguns cannot be used on the rifle range?

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    "And Pistols are to be used on the Pistol range and Rifles on the Rifle range and shotguns on the shotgun range.... That's for the slow people : ) lol "

I'm sorry, I don't see where it says no pistols on the rifle range. Am I missing something? I guess I can't sight my Wichita Arms .308 handgun in at 100 yards then? Can someone clarify where exactly it is a rule that handguns cannot be used on the rifle range?

This is from Shawn the Ranger who runs ENSF. It was posted in our ENSF RSO social group when the same question was asked as far as what was allowed.

We have a long standing tradiition of allowing hunting type pistols on the rifle range. By that, I am accepting a calibur large enough to legally hunt. Generally speaking, it does not need to be scoped but we'd prefer at least a six inch barrel. This in my opinion excludes 9 and 10 mm weapons. That also means the shooter is shooting greater than 25 yards. Shooting a pistol at 10 yards on the rifle range is not to happen no matter what calibur.

jsl1106

Dec 7, 2008
    Perryville, MD
    Well shouldn't that be added to the posted rules and regulations so that us "SLOW" folks know what is allowed? They took the time to post that only shotguns with slugs can be fired on the rifle range. If that is the policy than if should be put on the rules that everyone can see at the range. Might prevent some hurt feelings and sandy v*gina's.

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Well shouldn't that be added to the posted rules and regulations so that us "SLOW" folks know what is allowed? They took the time to post that only shotguns with slugs can be fired on the rifle range. If that is the policy than if should be put on the rules that everyone can see at the range. Might prevent some hurt feelings and sandy v*gina's.

While it would make some clarification to have it posted on the rules, most shooters at the range aren't shooting hunting type pistols. The only ones that seem to have a problem are those without a hunting type pistol wanting to shoot it on the rifle range. I guess they don't understand why its called a "rifle" range and that we have a "pistol" range.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    What about pistol-caliber carbines? Which range can they be shot at? Rifle? Pistol? Or both?

jsl1106

Dec 7, 2008
    Perryville, MD
    "I guess they don't understand why its called a "rifle" range and that we have a "pistol" range."

So with that mentality then shotguns should not be allowed on the "Rifle" range at all, semantics being what they are?

I see absolutley nothing wrong with someone shooting a handgun on the rifle range as long as the targets are the mandated height above the ground and it is not interfering with other shooters.

It is a major pain in the a** to pack up everything from the "Rifle" range to go shoot your handgun on the "Pistol" range. But I am not a range safety engineer so I will defer to those who claim they are.

Or a simple fix would be to make personal preferences official and put them on the posted range rules.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    jsl1106, just to clarify, shotguns are not allowed on the rifle range unless shooting slugs, this is to prevent damage to the baffles as well as possible projectiles from leaving the range. In regards to short barreled pistols, this is also the reason for that rule. This range is public and not a right but a privilege, it would seem some folks have a hard time grasping this concept. If you don't take care of the range and shoot the appropriate firearm on the appropriate range, if the state didn't have the money for up keep because people are destroying the range then what do you think happens to this privilege?

Kim79

Kim
    Feb 19, 2009
    North East MD
    I personally think this should be a written rule if it is so important, it was deemed important enough to make note of shotgun slugs only being used on the rifle range. So why not make note of "hunting" caliber pistols only on the riflerange as well. Without it being a posted rule how are people supposed to abide by it?

I have always shot pistol when on the rifle range, and have had no complaints about it. When I see it in writing I will comply but until then....See you on the rifle range

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    My personal experience is that I do not go to the Elk Neck Range on the weekends. The two (2) times I have gone, I have ran into "Yahoos" and "Cowboys".

The one time, Grandpa was waving a loaded rifle around, so grandson could adjust his bench seat. Grandson, all the while, was adjusting the seat while grasping for the rifle like he was swinging at a piniatta.

The second time, Dude shows up with his crackhead girlfriend with his and hers brand new 9 mm's in a case. They staple targets to the back of a folding chair and place it down range. The targets are maybe 2 1/2 feet off of the ground. Between her literally trying to shake the bullets out of the barrel, and him firing "gangsta", neither one could hit the broad side of my butt. The coup de gras came when Dude started reloading while the rest of us were down range tending to our targets. I turned around and saw him, and confronted him on it. He actually, for a split second, had that thought in his brain as I could see it in his eyes, like he was thinking of drawing down on me. As it happened, "Navy" walked up and reiterated what I had told him, and he stood down.

With all of that said, don't get me wrong, I LOVE THE ELK NECK RANGE. If you go, go during the week day. You get the avid shooters: the guys that make their own, load their own, military or ex-military types, law enforcement... In fact, when I go, I usually wear a baseball hat that says "Army" or something to that effect. If I see a T-shirt that says "NRA", "S.W.A.T.", or a hat that says "Navy", "Marines", "MSI" or anything that even resembles "I've had some formal firearm safety training", I feel much better. Those are the guys that you find there during the week.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    tzoid, i have never been to elk neck but i think i understand your frustration. i think clandestine like myslef view the folks on this forum above the rest. i believe we get your point but no need for the name calling

Well....you have a point, maybe you will meet me someday and someone can straighten me out.

People that post something saying they are going to do something after 2 VOLUNTEER RSO's explain that it's prohibited and still act defiant just pisses me off.

This is one of the reasons the RSO program is struggling.... I tell you what
    we need RSO's so since Kim79 and jsl1106 live close to ENSF and it sounds like they use the range as their home range. Let's have them Volunteer their time to the range and give back to the sport and make things safe at the range. How about it boys???

Kim79

Kim
    Feb 19, 2009
    North East MD
    If you didn't notice you hit a nerve. :lol2:

Do me a favor..... shoot when there is no RSO...That way the VOLUNTEER can avoid having to deal with you.......They are fellow MSF members and good people giving their own time to make shooting at ENSF a safe environment and don't need someone giving them grief.

If that is all that it takes for you to fly off the handle Id rather not even be in your vacinity. Maybe the RSO should be enforcing SAFETY RULES and written rules not personal pet peeves. Who said Ive given a RSO attitude? Ive been to several other ranges and never had this issue... And if were handing out pats on the backs Ive taken home peoples dumped trash, target stands that were left, and swept up .22 casings, taken extra drinks on hot days, its called being a decent human being!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom