• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Spring is in the air, the flowers are in bloom, it can only mean one thing: High Power season is here.

Today I shot my first ever competitive rifle match for record. I always wanted to learn to shoot competitively. Fortunately, Monumental ran a series of practices to allow me to learn. I've been practicing since January and shot a practice match last week.

Today, I only shot 366/500, but did manage to outscore two of my teammates. My best stage was 200-yd rapid fire sitting: 85/100.

Hopefully, with more practice, I will be able to break into the 400s and put some X's on the board.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Match 2

Today after additional practice and study (Jim Owens website and the old Army M1 marksmanship video) I boosted my scores 30 points to shoot a 396-1X.

My 200-yd standing went from 62 to 79. No misses, there were two last week.
    My 200-yd rapid fire sitting went from 85 to 86.
    My 300-yd (simulated) rapid fire prone dropped from 78 to 76 (with one miss :shocked4:).
    My 600-yd (simulated) slow fire prone went from 141 (two misses) to 155-1x with no misses.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Great job!

I actually geeked out and run a spreadsheet/graph with all my cmp match scores to track my progress in the various positions. Helps me pinpoint where I need to concentrate my practice.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    What rifle are you using?

A match grade AR. I built the lower half myself with a DPMS stripped lower (from Dan at GC), a White Oak parts kit (no trigger, so cheaper), an RRA 2-stage NM trigger and a RRA A2 buttstock all from Adco. My WOA Service Rifle upper is still on order.

Monumental lent me one of their two Armalites (M15A2 National Match). My lower trigger is better than the club lower, so I'm currently using my lower with the club upper.

My trigger had a better feel to it and when I asked a High Master/Distinguished Rifleman to compare them, he knew right away that my RRA was below the 4.5 legal weight. I took it home and tried the pull scale (RCBS spring scale): varying from 4-5lbs. :banghead: I called RRA (very hard to get through to them), they said I could send them the complete lower so they could tune it. Fortunately said High Master/DR offered to fix it. It now makes weight and feels better than before:party29:

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    Duke-
    Awesome improvement. There's no lack of matches out there, and I'd encourage you to get out and shoot on a regulation (600 yard) range. There are matches at Quantico, Fort Meade and Bridgeville, all of which have true "across-the-course". The advantage of shooting 600 is that you get to read the mirage and wind flags...and there's no feeling like watching that target come up from the pits with an X on it...from a third of a mile!

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    A year already

Wow, what a difference a year makes. Since shooting those two matches in the AGC league. I went on to shoot at Bridgeville, Meade, and picked up a few Garand matches too.

My final scores at the end of the season was 446/500 in the AGC league (October) and 715/800 at Bridgeville (November).

This year I opened with a 713/800 at Bridgeville. I have a busy schedule this month: two AGC league matches, CMP Eastern Games, the Bridgeville Regional, and an open slot on May 21 (either New Holland or Quantico).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom