Maryland Assault Weapon Ban 2010Proposal Just Introduced (EDIT: Bill Withdrawn)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    if they passed this what does that mean for me and my AR?

You're screwed. It has "That thing that goes up".

Seriously, if it's the "re-introduction" of the 2007 bill as it indicates, follow that link and you'll see it lists "copy cat" weapons as those semiauto centerfires with basically any "evil" feature, pistol grip, flash suppressor, muzzle brake...

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    1 year 15 days since we arrived here and every day that passes convinces me we won't be staying. But until that time this thing has to die a very quick and excruciating death.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Well, here we go again. This one needs to be taken seriously, it has plenty of the moonbat crowd on board already as co-sponsors.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Here are the sponsors, aka the "got to go" list...
    Sponsored by:
    Senator Mike Lenett, District 19
    Senator Joan Carter Conway, District 43
    Senator Ulysses Currie, District 25
    Senator Nathaniel Exum, District 24
    Senator Brian E. Frosh, District 16
    Senator David C. Harrington, District 47
    Senator Verna L. Jones, District 44
    Senator Delores G. Kelley, District 10
    Senator Nancy J. King, District 39
    Senator Richard S. Madaleno, Jr., District 18
    Senator Nathaniel J. McFadden, District 45
    Senator Paul G. Pinsky, District 22
    Senator Catherine E. Pugh, District 40
    Senator Jamie Raskin, District 20
    Senator Jim Rosapepe, District 21

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Here we go again, ladies and gentlemen. Emails, phone calls, faxes, letters - the works.

Frosh is one of the bill's sponsors, so he will assuredly grant it a committee vote. At the moment, he's the only member of the Judicial Proceedings committee to sponsor this piece of shit, so make sure the other 10 members of the committee know exactly how you feel.

Team Ron Miller

It's the Constitution...
    Dec 15, 2009
    Huntingtown, MD
    I'm not yet a senator - I have to get past Mike Miller first - but if I'm elected, God willing, I will fight bills like this at every opportunity. The 2nd Amendment isn't conditional, and these well-intentioned but ill-advised people fail to understand that. They can't see the forest for the trees.

Watch Mike Miller closely - the NRA endorsed him over me last time, even though I scored higher than he did. The reason? They expect him to use his clout to keep legislation like this from seeing the light of day.

Regards,

Ron

========
    Ron Miller
    GOP Candidate for Maryland Senate, District 27
    Join us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/TeamRonMiller

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    It's baaaack!! After a year or so break, the usual pinheads have re-proposed the Maryland AWB. :mad54: :mad54: :mad54: This one will have to be watched closely and defeated.

http://mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/billfile/SB0516.htm

:tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

1st it has to get out of the senate JPR committee . . . I don't see any JPR co-sponsors (other than Frosh).

2d it has to pass both houses, including getting out of the House committee (O'smirk signing is a given).

3d it has to pass court muster after Heller (and McDonald, we shall see soon). . . self-defense firearms are explicitly protected by the US Constitution (which MD constitution recognizes as supreme). Calling the banned firearms "offensive weapons" is like calling a turd a "New Snickers bar."

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Three years ago when they tried this we got it defeated in the judiciary committee by a 5-4 vote. We need it defeated in committee, you do not want this thing going before a vote in the General Assembly, and it goes without saying O'Malley will sign it.

For those who weren't here before, IF this is the same bill, it would ban future ownership of anything with a detachable mag and any "evil" feature (pistol grip, flash hider, bayo lug, folding stock, etc). Which means all those guns that were legal under the Clinton AWB, for instance AK's without bayo lugs or threaded muzzles, are banned under this bill. Everyone who owns one now would have to register again with the state police and undergo another background check. There was some thought that it would have also banned most semi-auto handguns because of how it was written.

We have the same five friends on the Judiciary Committee. These are the people who supported us last time. There are only nine members of the committee total so we need all five again in order to stop this bill in committee. Please be VERY nice to them when you write and call. They are:

Jacobs
    Brochin
    Stone
    Simonaire
    Mooney

Brochin is a democrat but he is very pro-gun. Last time this happened the Bradys tried hard to pressure and punish him for voting against "their" bill.

If you aren't familiar with this website, you may want to learn it well. A lot of the info you need for political activism is right in here.

http://mlis.state.md.us/

Last edited:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    From the 2007 bill's fiscal report:
    Small Business Effect:
    Minimal. Most of the State’s 250 licensed gun dealers are
    believed to be small businesses. Since the number or percentage of gun sales in the State involving assault weapons is unknown, the extent to which this bill’s ban may limit or
    decrease sales by gun dealers, or at lawful gun shows in Maryland, cannot be reliably
    estimated. However, these weapons are generally regarded in gun shops to be somewhat
    “exotic” and do not represent a significant segment of sales.
    :lol2: What ********. I am only a google fu person and I can find enough data to give an ultra conservative estimate at the least.

For instance, although the fiscal report above is from 2007, I will use 2008 as an example. In 2008 there were over 89,000 NICS checks conducted in MD. Of those at least 34,000 were regulated firearms.
    Of those regulated firearms, even if we note the majority are likely handguns, we still have to take into account this new bill would make many non-regulated rifles and shotguns banned and we can get an incredibly low estimate of what percentage of overall firearms sold by dealers in MD will be banned from studies done in the early 90s of about 2% of all firearms IIRC, but it is probably more like ten or fifteen percent now (especially when the new list includes more types of semi auto rifles). So from 2,000-14,000 firearms Senator Frosh wants to ban will not be sold in MD a year. At maybe a thousand dollars average in price that is millions of dealer sales which will be lost in this state.

Also, isn't there a weapons manufacturer in MD making the rifles they want to ban? Won't their loss of business hurt the state economy that way as well?
    What about Berretta? They will no longer be able to make CX4 Storms at their factory in MD. How many millions will this cost them?

Wraith

Oct 19, 2009
    Denton
    fing c***suckers. Like hell I'll sit back on this one, I still want a AR some time this year (funds allowing :D). Whats the easiest way to get the email addresses for those we need support from?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I'm not yet a senator - I have to get past Mike Miller first - but if I'm elected, God willing, I will fight bills like this at every opportunity. The 2nd Amendment isn't conditional, and these well-intentioned but ill-advised people fail to understand that. They can't see the forest for the trees.

Watch Mike Miller closely - the NRA endorsed him over me last time, even though I scored higher than he did. The reason? They expect him to use his clout to keep legislation like this from seeing the light of day.

Regards,

Ron

========
    Ron Miller
    GOP Candidate for Maryland Senate, District 27
    Join us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/TeamRonMiller
    If the NRA was serious about keeping bills like this from happenning in the Senate and to allow pro-RKBA bills get out of committee, they would have pressured Mike Miller to remove Frosh from Judiciary chairman's position. Maybe they backed the wrong candidate.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    From the 2007 bill's fiscal report:
    :lol2: What ********. I am only a google fu person and I can find enough data to give an ultra conservative estimate at the least.

For instance, although the fiscal report above is from 2007, I will use 2008 as an example. In 2008 there were over 89,000 NICS checks conducted in MD. Of those at least 34,000 were regulated firearms.
    Of those regulated firearms, even if we note the majority are likely handguns, we still have to take into account this new bill would make many non-regulated rifles and shotguns banned and we can get an incredibly low estimate of what percentage of overall firearms sold by dealers in MD will be banned from studies done in the early 90s of about 2% of all firearms IIRC, but it is probably more like ten or fifteen percent now (especially when the new list includes more types of semi auto rifles). So from 2,000-14,000 firearms Senator Frosh wants to ban will not be sold in MD a year. At maybe a thousand dollars average in price that is millions of dealer sales which will be lost in this state.

Also, isn't there a weapons manufacturer in MD making the rifles they want to ban? Won't their loss of business hurt the state economy that way as well?
    What about Berretta? They will no longer be able to make CX4 Storms at their factory in MD. How many millions will this cost them?

LWRC and Fulton Armory.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom