• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Updated plan for 2019

LEOSA Reform Act legislation in the 2018 Congress died. Here is an update on plans for 2019:

U.S. Congressman Pushing Change To Block States From Banning Cops Carrying Guns
    By Sandy Malone
    December 23, 2018
    Blue Lives Matter

U.S. Rep. Don Bacon plans to introduce important LEOSA amendments in the next Congress.

https://bacon.house.gov/media/press-releases/bacon-introduces-updated-legislation-improve-concealed-carry-legislation

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    How about legislation to block state laws that ban ANYONE from carrying a gun.

Sort of like Constitutional Carry? There are a few states that recognize the right we were born with, however the odds that the current US Congress will recognize those rights are somewhere between slim and none, while leaning toward "not a chance."

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    So this is not really pro 2A legislation ? Separating rights into groups?

"We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organisation of this farm depend on us. Day and night we are watching over your welfare. It is for YOUR sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples." :D

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    The only LEOSA based law that should be passed is its repeal. LEOSA is an affront to liberty and treats police, especially retired police, as a separate and privileged class. Police officers are private citizens and as such should be subject to the same laws they are charged against enforcing on others. If I can't carry, they shouldn't be allowed to. Amending the law to give them more privileges is offensive.

Matt

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I hate to break it to you sport but there's plenty of stuff you can't legally do that others can based on their profession. Fortunately for you acting like a whiny bitch isn't one of them.

Yes, active LEO's I understand & support, but why are retired LEO's treated different than law abiding folks? It just isn't right.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I hate to break it to you sport but there's plenty of stuff you can't legally do that others can based on their profession. Fortunately for you acting like a whiny bitch isn't one of them.

I was unaware that supporting equality and fairness under the law in United States made me a whiny bitch.

If so, I wear that label with pride. Better that than a supporter of Animal Farm type laws.

I support law enforcement but once you quit the job, the protections and privileges the state grants as a condition of wearing the uniform go with it.

If you think that is a problem then such people don't belong in law enforcement at all. Thin blue line, blue wall of silence and all that are NOT compliments.

Matt

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    While I despise the notion of special classes - police given benefits denied to other citizens; gun owners made a special class by Red Flag laws - I can see some logic behind LEOSA. Working as a LEO for many years brings a legacy of annoyed people who have been arrested, charged, convicted and punished, and who would like to get some of their own back on those who made them the "victims" of the legal system.

Eventually we all may have our right to life and self-protection restored, but meanwhile, it's better that at least some of those who have reasonable concerns about violent retaliation have the ability to defend themselves, as well as being a concealed armed presence whose training and armament might be found useful to provide for domestic tranquility, and the common defense.

It's too important to look at these situations as an opportunity for splitting and fragmentation; far better to consider it an incremental improvement.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    I agree with Bob in practical terms. I think those same practical terms should also apply to victims and prosecution witnesses in cases involving a defendant who could be subject to incarceration or life altering penalties. LEOs are certainly involved in more cases but it’s fair to say that many victims are more deeply involved in those cases.

Just curious, do we have any statistics regarding defendants assaulting LEOs involved in their arrest or prosecution?

pjd832

Jul 26, 2012
    Most violent criminals are repeat offenders, and it is extremely rare their victims are officers from previous contacts. Let’s forget the whole 2A/inalienable rights side for a moment, John Doe/potential victim of crime of opportunity has as much if not more “justifiable need” as statically they are at far greater risk than retired Leo on vacation 2000 miles away from his previous aoo/town of employment. He’s just another citizen at that point, well one that’s “allowed” his inalienable rights.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Let me restate what I posted three posts ago.

I don't like separate but unequal classifications of people.

It's reasonable to assume that long-serving LEOs have a greater perceived risk than I do.

We'd all like to have the same rights. However, I have no problem with retired cops bearing arms. It makes both them and me safer.

Rather than bitching that "he has it and I don't," it might be more useful to say "at least he has it; that's a step in the right direction."

That way we're all pulling for the same result, rather than getting snarky about someone else being better off.

"Divide and Conquer" works well as a policy for tyrants. Keep the opposition fighting each other so they can't get together to oppose tyranny. Does that sound at all familiar?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    "We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organisation of this farm depend on us. Day and night we are watching over your welfare. It is for YOUR sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples." :D

I’m hoping you are not taking offense to my post but I don’t see a sarcasm emoji so I guess I should explain myself officer? :sarcasm: I read the OP thinking the law might be trying to remove 2A rights from a group which would motivate another group to join the defense of citizens (as a whole) rights. I’m 100 % with what Bob is saying. If one were to take offense that quickly I just hope they are not carrying red flags, so I truly hope that was :sarcasm:
    Funny part is that when I sent that post I was feeding my sisters pig, so that post completely confused me, nice night out so I was taking my time. No offense meant towards LEOS at all.... hold on, there’s someone at my door oh and good post Bob

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    One of the main reasons Bush singed into law the LEOSA was to protect LEO's especially when off duty. Many times LEO's come into contact with people who want to do harm to them while off duty due to various reasons related to their position as an LEO.

I don't see think that potential threat simply goes away because the LEO retired. I mean does the retired Police Officer that he put some clown in jail years ago that now wants payback simply explain he is retired now and all is good? c'mon really???

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom