• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    P I am not registering a rifle in that state. You are going to have to find it before you have to take it from me. I'm not going to make it any easier for them...

You don't register rifles in this state (well unless you move from another state with a pre-ban weapon) but you can cash and carry MANY AR-15's and their variants.

You aren't doing anything special or avoiding any "registration" by milling around with mills.

Marine-Tex for boogering up a mistake is 100x better than JB Weld,try these;

Attachments

• clamp-tite-drill-stop.jpg
      clamp-tite-drill-stop.jpg
      18.5 KB · Views: 512

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Nope not a gun so no specialized destruction.

Looks like the fire control pocket is drilled, and that the hammer and trigger pin holes are drilled.

Pretty sure that once the fire control pocket is cut, that ATF considers it a firearm.

That aside, I wouldn't waste too much time on this one. Clean up the trigger hole, and drop a .22lr upper on it and shoot it.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Not a load bearing area. Your just making a high speed lower that lets all the crap and blown primers fall out. Now, go an practice some more.

UrgentFury

Lead Connoisseur
    Apr 5, 2015
    42.915758,-78.72248
    Marine-Tex for boogering up a mistake is 100x better than JB Weld,try these;
    Never heard of Marine-Tex before. Thanks, I thought about getting some stop collars but forgot. The mill has a stop though, so I've been using that.

Not a load bearing area. Your just making a high speed lower that lets all the crap and blown primers fall out. Now, go an practice some more.
    Thanks for the encouragement! I will.

... Pretty sure that once the fire control pocket is cut, that ATF considers it a firearm.

That aside, I wouldn't waste too much time on this one. Clean up the trigger hole, and drop a .22lr upper on it and shoot it.

That is what I was thinking... thanks, the .22LR is a good idea and likely what i'll do with this one.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Paint it red and hang it from some fishing line right in front of your equipment. That way you have a visual reminder of your mistake.

I've got enough red 1911 parts to build a damn near fully non-functional pistol.

:D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Never heard of Marine-Tex before. Thanks, I thought about getting some stop collars but forgot. The mill has a stop though, so I've been using that.

Thanks for the encouragement! I will.

That is what I was thinking... thanks, the .22LR is a good idea and likely what i'll do with this one.

Unless you use a pack trigger, you need support on the bottom for the Trigger Spring to function properly.

If you use that it needs a plate installed or pins installed on the side for the trigger springs to rest against.

UrgentFury

Lead Connoisseur
    Apr 5, 2015
    42.915758,-78.72248
    Paint it red and hang it from some fishing line right in front of your equipment. That way you have a visual reminder of your mistake.

I've got enough red 1911 parts to build a damn near fully non-functional pistol.

:D
    Ha! Did you make a 1911 from 80%? I have seen those too.

...to great effect, too!
    I know... :sad20:

Libtard gun buy back.... What do you think guys :innocent0
    Not sure I follow...

That looks to me like a forged lower and if it is more the likely 7075 heat treated aluminum. Welding on that lower is a no go. :tdown:
    Correct, it is in fact 7075 and I don't have access nor desire to TIG.
    Unless you use a pack trigger, you need support on the bottom for the Trigger Spring to function properly.

If you use that it needs a plate installed or pins installed on the side for the trigger springs to rest against.
    I understand. To continue with the learning experience I ended up cleaning/degreasing and roughing up the holes with a box cutter blade and sand paper. I will fill with JB weld and machine again to see if I can use for a .22LR plinker.

No one has really commented on the original question of regular JB Weld vs the putty in terms of application and strength so considering the overall FUBAR condition of the piece I am trying the putty and I'll see how it goes.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Ha! Did you make a 1911 from 80%? I have seen those too.

I know... :sad20:

Not sure I follow...

Correct, it is in fact 7075 and I don't have access nor desire to TIG.

I understand. To continue with the learning experience I ended up cleaning/degreasing and roughing up the holes with a box cutter blade and sand paper. I will fill with JB weld and machine again to see if I can use for a .22LR plinker.

No one has really commented on the original question of regular JB Weld vs the putty in terms of application and strength so considering the overall FUBAR condition of the piece I am trying the putty and I'll see how it goes.

I think clandestine is recommending that you not use it... If he says it is dead, then that means not even he can fix it. Listen to clandestine, he knows what he speaks of. Just don't ask him to help you with a 40 cal... :sad20:

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    That looks to me like a forged lower and if it is more the likely 7075 heat treated aluminum. Welding on that lower is a no go. :tdown:

Plus for what a welding shop would charge you could buy a stripped (100%) lower.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Nope not a gun so no specialized destruction.
    I'd say perhaps not. The second that lower went from an 80% lower to a 80.000001% lower (the first shaving of aliuminum coming off), it became a firearm in the eyes of those that matter.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    I'd say perhaps not. The second that lower went from an 80% lower to a 80.000001% lower (the first shaving of aliuminum coming off), it became a firearm in the eyes of those that matter.

That's true, I say jb it up put a cheap LPK in it and wait for the next buy back

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom