• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • After reading something here (I think by clandestine), recalling something a gunsmith said to me, and poking around the net, I decided to lap and "bed" the upper on one of my AR's.

In the first pic, is the Wheeler AR receiver lapping tool. It fits in the upper receiver. The working face is coated with lapping compound and after clamping and lubricating, the thing is spun with a drill. The idea is to remove a small amount of metal to square and true the receiver face where the barrel extension goes in. I tried on a stripped upper I have and it was fairly easy to do. The anodizing on the face came off faster on one side than the other. That tells me that the tool did do some squaring and truing.

Next I took the upper from my .300 Blackout build, removed the rail, gas, tube, and the match quality barrel. The second pic shows the upper in the receiver clamp and vise, with the lapping tool doing it's thing. Yes, the receiver clamp is upside down. I did it this way so that I could add oil directly to pilot on lapping tool.

The third pic is the receiver face after lapping. The instructions say to continue lapping until you form a clean ring all the way around. You can also use the tool to remove some material when a barrel nut does not line up with the gas tube hole. With the special nut used by my rail, this was not needed.

The last pic shows the barrel extension coated with Loctite 620 retaining compound. Per the directions on the bottle, I also coated the first part of the sleeve on the receiver. The stuff is green, but thicker than thread locker. It is supposed to fill any voids between the extension and receiver. I next reassembled the upper and cleaned off the antiseize compound I use on the threads and some Loctite that squeezed out on the inside. The Loctite retaining compound now needs to cure.

I doubt I'll see much improvement with this upper. Next I'll try it on my .223 Special Purpose Rifle Groundhog (SPRG).

Attachments

• IMG_5659.JPG
      IMG_5659.JPG
      50.2 KB · Views: 6,946
    • IMG_5654.JPG
      IMG_5654.JPG
      52.5 KB · Views: 7,028
    • IMG_5655.JPG
      IMG_5655.JPG
      43.8 KB · Views: 7,459
    • IMG_5658.JPG
      IMG_5658.JPG
      56 KB · Views: 7,637

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    I have the same tool but I have yet to try it. It does seem to do a good job of squaring the face of the upper receiver with regards to the opening of the barrel. I do believe that some would agree that this step is not necessary, however, for those of us that are interested in custom builds I think this is interesting to try to do. Thanks for showing the pictures.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    you do realize raw aluminum and steel, specially stainless steel with have galvanic response if no barrier is used, ie they will corrode together.

Beyond lubing the barrel extension I have had no issue getting things to lock up when all screwed together.

you do realize raw aluminum and steel, specially stainless steel with have galvanic response if no barrier is used, ie they will corrode together.
    Galvanic corrosion still requires an electrolyte between the metals. The joint is sealed from both sides, so it's unlikely an electrolyte can enter.

Aluminum, being less noble than steel, would be the metal that corrodes.

If whoever inherits this weapon takes it apart and finds corrosion, he or she may remove a bit more material from the upper and reassemble it.

Last edited:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Looking at how the tool is made and works (and googling other brands on the internet since I've never held one) I simply dont believe the tool is making anything better but much more likely worse. It has *NO* way to accurately index on the inside of the receiver or for the rotating parts to be accurately held in alignment w/ the static parts. It would trust a manufacturer that used a lathe and mill 99.99% more than this 'tool'. It looks about as precise as a handsaw.

What's the problem that this was meant to fix?
    It's intended to square the receiver to the barrel extension. The retaining compound is intended to eliminate any vibration induced by the gap between the barrel extension body and the receiver sleeve.

The tool tightly fits the length of the receiver. I requires oil in order to spin freely. If I had the correct perpendicularity gauge, I'd check it. But I don't.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    It's intended to square the receiver to the barrel extension. The retaining compound is intended to eliminate any vibration induced by the gap between the barrel extension body and the receiver sleeve.

The tool tightly fits the length of the receiver. I requires oil in order to spin freely. If I had the correct perpendicularity gauge, I'd check it. But I don't.

Absolutely agreed, and this is essentially the same principle as to blueprinting a Remington 700 action. It's those minute, oscillating harmonics that can affect accuracy. If shooting at a 25 yard range I don't think anybody would ever know the difference. I think this process of bedding the barrel to the upper receiver is for those of us that really enjoy the process of building the AR and seek ultimate perfection, over the top as it may be.

dauntedfuture

Apr 2, 2012
    A solution in search of a problem. Been shooting ar-15 in highpower for almost 20 years and this is a first for me. I'm a high master shooter if you care. Only way to tell nigh be a before and after group.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    A solution in search of a problem. Been shooting ar-15 in highpower for almost 20 years and this is a first for me. I'm a high master shooter if you care. Only way to tell nigh be a before and after group.

I agree, but I don't think it's going to hurt anything if one wants to true up the facing of the upper receiver for the barrel nut. Practically speaking, and 100 to 200 yard ranges I don't think there be any difference. As an example, the Remington 700 is very accurate straight out-of-the-box, but some people still go to the nth degree to blueprint its action. I think this is almost like polishing a car, how much of a shine do you really want.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Bedding the upper to the lower will help reduce verticle dispersion at 600 yds. Lapping the front of the receiver may or may not help depending on the individual upper receiver. I have only seen a few that are out of square enough to make a difference but, they are out there.

5string

Feb 21, 2014
    NC
    I found this thread through a search on the subject. I had a PSA upper that required the rear sight to be moved all the way to the left, to zero the windage. I used this tool and upon checking what it was doing, saw material clearly being removed from one side of the receiver. I continued until the receiver appeared to be the same all the way around, then put my rifle back together. The windage is now correct with the rear sight, dead in the center. I am a believer.
    I only wish I had that old Colt H Bar back that I sold 25 years ago, because of this same problem. It went back to Colt but they said there was nothing wrong, so I found it a new home.

Last edited:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'm not overly surprised about the PSA upper. Gov't spec is what, 4 moa? They're nice guys, and have good deals, but there's probably a reason the prices are so reasonable. Hey - you knew it wasn't a Daniel Defense. And that's okay, for saving six or seven hundred bucks.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm not overly surprised about the PSA upper. Gov't spec is what, 4 moa? They're nice guys, and have good deals, but there's probably a reason the prices are so reasonable. Hey - you knew it wasn't a Daniel Defense. And that's okay, for saving six or seven hundred bucks.

DD is nothing special compared to PSA. I work on them.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Nope, but if you feel better about it then knock yourself out. Precision AR setups are trued and the barrel extensions are fitted. It there is play then the barrel extension is essentially sleeve bedded to the upper receiver.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    BCM's "new" uppers appear to have spec'd a tighter ID for the barrel extension part of the receiver. Might be interesting for those trying for a more "precise" fit.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Galvanic corrosion still requires an electrolyte between the metals. The joint is sealed from both sides, so it's unlikely an electrolyte can enter.

Aluminum, being less noble than steel, would be the metal that corrodes.

If whoever inherits this weapon takes it apart and finds corrosion, he or she may remove a bit more material from the upper and reassemble it.

Water vapor or humidity is all of the electrolite that you need, I would hit the front of that with a bit of epoxy sealant before i put it back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom