• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    I went looking for an 80% lower on the internet recently. They are very hard to find and not priced well compared to the cheaper 100% lowers. Do you know of a source?

Quentin Defense has some beautiful 80% lowers.

http://quentindefense.com/

I have some of these. They will anodize them for $10.00ea. Dont be afraid to back order. It took me about 6 weeks to get mine, but well worth it. This was in Feb. Things may have calmed down a bit.

Its cost effective to get 5 or 10 of these IMO, instead of just one.

-----------------------

You can get the jigs here.

www.cncguns.com

Awesome quality. Justin is the real deal.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    And a very long waiting list to booT !I had 10 on order in DEC. They told me it could be Jan 2014 could be delivery time. So I canceled my order . That was late Dec.

6 weeks for me on 10 anadozied.

Wasnt expecting it, was told it was 14 weeks in Jan. Got the call 6 weeks after my order.

Great quality, and they dont charge you until it ships.

You need to call them. They have since purchased 3 more cnc machines. I think they are up to 12 CNC machines.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    Do you have a link?

I read it was because people were not actually doing it themselves.

This my take on the 80% thing.

DONT GO CHEAP. IT MAY COST YOU YOUR GUN RIGHTS!

Spend the money on your own jigs.

Buy a drill press or mini mill.

Buy 5-10, and have fun doing it.

Do it yourself. That is the whole point of it.

If you cannot afford it...DONT DO IT!

Not worth the headache when you can buy a $120 lower from PSA or other places.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    It seems this is where it would/could get sticky with a build party (concerning ATF);

"The “manufacturing license” is needed if a shop is making 80% lowers and then completing them. You cannot make 80% lowers and then complete them in the same shop."

So this begs the questions:

Can you borrow/rent someones drill press and finish you 80% lower? If renting the drill press does that mean they need to have the manufacturing FFL?

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    So this begs the questions:

Can you borrow/rent someones drill press and finish you 80% lower? If renting the drill press does that mean they need to have the manufacturing FFL?

I don't see how this would be any different than renting a drill press from the tool counter at Home Depot.

From what was posted above it looks like you would only have a problem if the person with the drill press manufactured the 80% lower and then you go over and complete it into a stripped lower at the same venue.

Hokie

Nov 20, 2012
    It seems this is where it would/could get sticky with a build party (concerning ATF);

"The “manufacturing license” is needed if a shop is making 80% lowers and then completing them. You cannot make 80% lowers and then complete them in the same shop."

Is the license only needed if the person selling the lower completes it?

I don't see how this would be any different than renting a drill press from the tool counter at Home Depot.

From what was posted above it looks like you would only have a problem if the person with the drill press manufactured the 80% lower and then you go over and complete it into a stripped lower at the same venue.

That's the way I read it,unless the person/company making the 80% has an FFL (for the address) where it is completed,it shouldn't matter.Buy a paper weight and finish it somewhere else.IANAL

tgeb

Mar 12, 2013
    Montgomery County
    So, the 80% lowers are not regulated in any way, unless "commercially" finished?

Would these then be more liberally available after 10/1/13? or do they become illegal at that date?

If there are no laws against it, I'd be interested in picking up a couple next Summer after things have calmed down.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    With the calguns thing. I believe the hot water they are in is the renting of the CNC machine. Someone else programming it and then the buyer coming in paying $50 to push a green button is a little far off from homebuild.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    With the calguns thing. I believe the hot water they are in is the renting of the CNC machine. Someone else programming it and then the buyer coming in paying $50 to push a green button is a little far off from homebuild.

Exactly

From the link:

We were advised by Jason that the ATF now considers providing someone a pre-programmed CNC machine with fixtures in place as "manufacturing".

Based on our understanding of what we were told by Jason, you are correct to say that you can still complete a lower in a machine shop using their tools (drill press, mill, etc... as long as that tool is NOT a CNC machine).

null

Troll in training
    May 10, 2011
    Pasadena
    If you buy them after 10/1/13 I don't think you can legally turn them into usable lowers, so it's best to buy them and finish them before October.

If a search or seizure situation arises, how do you prove that an 80% lower (purchased prior to the deadline) was finished into a stripped lower before October?

Sorry if I missed this point in previous posts.

null

Troll in training
    May 10, 2011
    Pasadena
    So it seems that it would be best to have lowers and any tool purchases completed a few weeks prior to the deadline and keep all receipts to document this.

To me, it's just very worrisome that it is their word vs. yours in court and the state has near infinite resources to exhaust if they really want to nail you. I'll have to check my NRA memberships and see if the legal representation they offer to members would be beneficial in this case.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    So it seems that it would be best to have lowers and any tool purchases completed a few weeks prior to the deadline and keep all receipts to document this.

To me, it's just very worrisome that it is their word vs. yours in court and the state has near infinite resources to exhaust if they really want to nail you. I'll have to check my NRA memberships and see if the legal representation they offer to members would be beneficial in this case.

If THEY really want to nail you, THEY will just kill you from a drone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom