Gun "Safety" Hearings in House Not Happening (Yet)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    The LATimes reports that Lamar Smith told the 16 Democrat members of the House Judiciary to pound sand when it came to hearings on "gun safety in the wake of the Tuscon shootings."

"It is more important than ever that we examine our gun safety laws and regulations," said Rep. John Conyers of Michigan, the top Democrat on the committee. "It is simply common sense to limit the availability of high-capacity magazines, and ensure that individuals banned by law from owning firearms are, in fact, prevented from buying guns."

But Smith, in a statement released by the committee, said any such hearings could prejudice the upcoming trial of the shooting suspect, Jared Lee Loughner.

Interesting take...

Democrats also suggested that at least 1.6 million "disqualifying" records of mentally ill people are missing from the national database used by firearms dealers to check the backgrounds of gun buyers. Because Loughner "may have had mental health issues," the letter said, the database's effectiveness should be examined, the Democrats said.

Smith, in his response, said the committee should review the database, known as the National Instant Criminal Background Check System "at the appropriate time." But hearings now might affect criminal proceedings in which Loughner's "mental status is likely to be a key issue," he said.

So maybe later. But not now. Sounds like Smith is being as polite as he can while he blows them off. Or more likely, the Republicans get a bill drafted to deal with it first.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Now I don't own a 33-round magazine nor ever will because, well, I have a S&W M&P and it wouldn't fit...

Interesting how they push forward with legislation, that if held to even Intermediate Scrutiny (which is coming as a minimum) in the courts would fail, yet are OK with the obvious source of the problems in Tuscon (someone mentally unstable and potentially violent) speaks volumes.

Waterdoor

Proud Infidel Team U.S.A.
    Dec 13, 2008
    KY.
    The problem is that people actually vote for these dumb fuks like Conyers. Pathetic!!!

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Now I don't own a 33-round magazine nor ever will because, well, I have a S&W M&P and it wouldn't fit...
    I know what you mean. This makes me want to go buy 33-round Glock mags in protest.

Interesting how they push forward with legislation, that if held to even Intermediate Scrutiny (which is coming as a minimum) in the courts would fail, yet are OK with the obvious source of the problems in Tuscon (someone mentally unstable and potentially violent) speaks volumes.

The issue here is that we on this board understand more about the Constitution and civil rights litigation/law than those in Congress surrounded by their dozen legal staff. The only way that can be true is that they just do not care.

I don't like "gotcha" interviews and viral videos much because they lack context and only represent one bad moment, but the recent one of Schumer, saying unbidden, that the government has three branches of power - "the House, the Senate and the President" happens to be one that speaks volumes.

I think some of these folks would fail elementary school civics tests.

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford

They teach civics and government in schools? I graduated high school in 2005 and barely knew about the branches of government. I was taught how our country was wrong in everything it did from inception. I got a much prouder take on things after reading "A Patriot's Guide to US History", and I learned how government works in the process.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I dont like Glocks. Nor do I like 9mm's.

But damn... Glock 19 gen4 with a "33 round extended clip of doom" and maybe a few heat seeking armor piercing bullets that will allow me to convert a 9mm into a "military grade weapon" meant to be shot from the "hip" like in "wwII trench warfare" seems really good now.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I dont like Glocks. Nor do I like 9mm's.

But damn... Glock 19 gen4 with a "33 round extended clip of doom" and maybe a few heat seeking armor piercing bullets that will allow me to convert a 9mm into a "military grade weapon" meant to be shot from the "hip" like in "wwII trench warfare" seems really good now.

Add "that shoulder thing that goes up" and you got a serious WMD.

rglrguy said:
    They teach civics and government in schools? I graduated high school in 2005 and barely knew about the branches of government. I was taught how our country was wrong in everything it did from inception. I got a much prouder take on things after reading "A Patriot's Guide to US History", and I learned how government works in the process.

I hope that is hyperbole and slight exaggeration. Or maybe - like most High School kids - you didn't really care until you saw how it affected you? I am not calling you out...just hoping that it wasn't quite that bad.

I have no problem teaching the "wrongs" we have done. But the list is largely incomplete. I don't recall a whole lot about reconstruction after the Civil War. Maybe it was just me and the lousy school I went to (it was really bad).

But there are points of light, too.

We will probably see some type of hearing this year regarding NICS. Some good might come of it, provided it is handled carefully. I think this year the ATF is also going to get some much needed attention. I have been ignoring the Project Gunrunner scuttlebutt due to the sources (Examiner, etc.) and anonymous nature of the rumors. But apparently Senator Grassley's people did some digging and have some verifiable information there. That puts it on my screen, and if what they are claiming is true - ATF is toast. It might end the Agency (which is a shell anyway). At the least, it'll end the Gunrunner project.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I know what you mean. This makes me want to go buy 33-round Glock mags in protest.

The issue here is that we on this board understand more about the Constitution and civil rights litigation/law than those in Congress surrounded by their dozen legal staff. The only way that can be true is that they just do not care.

I don't like "gotcha" interviews and viral videos much because they lack context and only represent one bad moment, but the recent one of Schumer, saying unbidden, that the government has three branches of power - "the House, the Senate and the President" happens to be one that speaks volumes.

And Schumer went straight from law school to the Hill. Too bad he wasn't paying attention in Constitutional law class. I keep a pocket Constitution with me at all times. Other than perhaps the bible, the single greatest document ever written by man IMO. Maybe one of you guys could conduct a seminar for these tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom