• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FLshooter

Mar 19, 2010
    Just wanted to say thanks for having this site here, I've been reading about MD's laws and have a few questions.

I live in Florida and own an M4 profile AR-15 with 30 round magazines. I was not required to register it or anything here obviously.

My job may require a move to Maryland, and I had a few questions. It seems that because I purchased the 30rd mags here in FL, they will be legal to keep in MD.

I am 22, will I be required to register it or anything? If it (ever) comes time to sell, what are some of the processes involved in a face to face transfer? What about shipping FFL to FFL? What about shipping the mags? Would I need to register anything first?

Thanks everybody.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    *you can bring the mags with you ( once here you can even go to PA or VA buy high capacity mags and bring them back home legally)

*You do not have to register the gun. If you had it prior to moving here there is no requirement to tell them what you have. Technically MD doesn't have any forced registration of "regulated arms". Its voluntary ;)

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    - There is no mandatory "registration", per se, in Maryland. Records of sales of regulated weapons within the state (handguns, and long guns on Maryland's "regulated" list) are kept by the Maryland State Police, a de facto "gun registration" system kept on Maryland citizens. But, there is no law requiring people moving into the state, to register their guns here.

- ALL AR-15's except "Colt HBAR and copies" are considered regulated long guns. All sales of regulated guns within the state of Maryland must go through an FFL, no exceptions. FTF sales of non-regulated, long guns, is permissible.

- Magazines over 20 rounds may not be sold, transferred, assembled within Maryland. There is no outright prohibition on ownership or possession, though. There have been a few cases of Marylanders being charged with "taking receipt" of >20 round magazines, in conjunction with other charges. I am aware of no actual convictions on this, though. Even if you had no proof that you purchased your magazines out of state, it would be difficult to impossible for any prosecutor to prove that you did. Many Marylanders buy >20 round magazines in Pennsylvania, Delaware, or Virginia, and bring them back. I know cops who have and use 30-rounders on their personal guns. The >20 round magazine law, in Maryland, is effectively as toothless as it is pointless.

Copies of sales receipts, etc., showing that you possessed these prior to moving to Maryland, while not necessary, could go a long way towards neutering any attempted legal harrassment of you, in the unlikely situation that would ever happen.

- Maryland does have an outright ban on certain "assault pistols". There's a link to the list of banned "assault pistols", on this forum's home page.

Welcome to the forum!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The only firearms you have to worry about would be any NFA toys if you have any. Those require Federal paperwork for the move. (A machine gun also requires state police registration)

AR 15's are a gray area in MD for sales. Most AR's are "Regulated", which means the sale has to go through a FFL or the State Police. $10 fee at the SP. If the rifle is marked H-BAR, then you can sell it FTF.

I disagree with the member who says lives elsewhere and commute. Move here and help fight the idiots.

As for the mags, if they are in your personal belongings, a moving truck for example I believe you are safe. Better yet would be in your car with you, unloaded of course.

BTW, if you want any handguns, check the MD approved list before you move. Some nice guns aren't on the list, you can move in with them however.
    http://www.mdsp.org/services/handgun.asp

boscoman

Jan 4, 2010
    As at least one other person here posted, you may seriously want to look at living in VA, DE or PA & commuting. Gun laws & taxes are better in those states. I guess it all depends on where the job will be.
    Either way welcome aboard.

Waterdoor

Proud Infidel Team U.S.A.
    Dec 13, 2008
    KY.
    As someone that lived there for 12 years and moved away, take the comments about surrounding states very seriously if you can. It is not feasible to commute for everyone, but if you think you can make it work then you will be much happier living outside of Marylandistan. My stress level (not to mention taxes and cost of living) has declined 99.9% since moving!!

If the commute is no good, then find a nice house surrounded by good "Blue collar" Maryland folks. I came from an upscale midwest area and married a blue collar family Maryland girl. I always liked her family members because they were always "totally real"! None of that fake Liberal ******** that infests so much of Maryland.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yup, live somewhere else. (I'd avoid DC as well, but the surrounding states all have lower taxes and more personal freedoms).

delaneyesq

Sep 1, 2011
    "Magazines over 20 rounds may not be sold, transferred, assembled within Maryland. There is no outright prohibition on ownership or possession, though. There have been a few cases of Marylanders being charged with "taking receipt" of >20 round magazines, in conjunction with other charges. I am aware of no actual convictions on this, though. Even if you had no proof that you purchased your magazines out of state, it would be difficult to impossible for any prosecutor to prove that you did. Many Marylanders buy >20 round magazines in Pennsylvania, Delaware, or Virginia, and bring them back. I know cops who have and use 30-rounders on their personal guns. The >20 round magazine law, in Maryland, is effectively as toothless as it is pointless."

Fyi, NOVA Firearms would not sell 30 round clips to a Marylander, but Blue Ridge Arsenals does routinely.

Not giving legal advice, but the law does not prohibit transporting or possessing large capacity firearms in Maryland, and Maryland laws only apply within Maryland, so I don't see how it could be illegal. Just not sure how "Joe LEO" would interpret the law.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Which part of MD are you planning to move to? The advice to live elsewhere may or may not be feasible, depending on where you have to work.

If practical, I'd prefer Virginia, West Virginia, or Pennsylvania to MD, both due to the firearms situation and due to much lower total taxes. Delaware I don't know enough about.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I moved here from florida a couple years ago (Thankfully I'm moving back at the end of the month) and I would mirror what everyone else says: Move to DE, VA, or WV and commute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom