• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think you're past self diagnosing this issue. A qualified gunsmith should be found. This rifle is becoming more dangerous every time you take it out.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Dec 4, 2012
    I have headspace gages and I checked the headspace before assembling the rifle and it was fine. I have fired about 8 shots through the gun.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Both buffers are for the 308. The heavy buffer is from heavybuffers.com and the standard buffer is from DPMS. The spring from heavybuffers.com is about an inch longer than the spring from DPMS. I have tried a combination of both springs and buffers. It does cycle by hand with both.

Right now all I have used is Remington Core Lokt 150 grain ammo. I am going to try a few different types tomorrow. Any recommendation on a type of ammo? I have also tried 2 different pmags. I have 8 so I will try them all.

Thank you all for the info.

Also, my wife took a video of me firing the first shot. While watching the video I noticed that the bcg on travels about half way back.

if there is a dent on the brass in the magazine, the BCG is impacting the round, and that is stopping the rearward travel.

For the life of me I don't know why you would still be able to cycle it by hand though- you'd think it would bind...

If the gas key was not staked before, and you felt gas leaking from under it when you tried the canned air, then that could cause short-stroking for sure if it's not flush with the carrier enough to be gas-tight.

There are too many variables to take permanent action by drilling the gas port.

I'd try a BCG that you know functions in someone else's rifle first- just as you have already suggested.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    We got the gun all squared away. The BCG was not the problem, nor was the Magazines (PMAGS), Ammo, or Buffers (Standard and Heavy).

I checked Headspace, Gas Rings, Gas Key, Cam Pin, Gas Block Allignment and Gapping, Throat, Buffer Travel, Spring Compression, Ramps, Gas Tube Blockage

The Gas Port was .081 and wouldn't cycle at all using a different DPMS Lower, and Different DPMS BCG. I then stepped it up to .086 and it still wouldn't cycle. I then went to .091 and was able to get it to cycle reliably and lock the Bolt Group back on an empty Magazine.

The only other problems were related to Gas Tube contact with the Rail System and the Magazine Catch was turned in one turn too much. Neither were the cause for the malfunctions.

We didn't pin his Gas Block but I did Rockset his Set Screws. If it comes loose Ill pin it for him for free.

I decided to only charge him $40 but he insisted on tipping me personally as well. He was very kind.

Overall the O.P. has a fantastic gun that just needed some tweaks. He did a great job putting it together.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Nice work.

clandestine, how did you deburr the gas port in the bore after rearing it?

Yes Sir. :thumbsup: I have a bore scope I check the port with as well after drilling. I use the mill/press to ensure straight drilling.

It was a stainless barrel and I could have lapped it but it was not necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom