• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I know I'm preaching to the choir here. But I made a post in another forum and just thought I'd share it here.

A friend (rhetorically) asked the question in another thread: "Why are some folks just plain scared of fire arms?"

Instead of hi-jacking my own thread, I thought I’d share my thoughts on it, here.

The reason that there is so much fear of firearms by some in this country, is because our government wants it that way. The more people fear them, the easier it is to turn the tide against the 2nd Amendment. And the more the tide (of public opinion) turns against the 2nd Amendment, the easier it will be for them to do away with it. And the best way to drive public opinion - whether it be 2A or anything else - is through the media and the educational system.

Remember, 2A has nothing to do with hunting and sport shooting. It really wasn't even established, primarily, for self-defense. It was put there by the founding fathers (who had just fought and defeated a tyrannical government), in case our own government ever got out of hand - so we *the people* would have a way to stand up to it.

The government should fear "the people". NOT the other way around. And when the people can't defend themselves against it, the government has NOTHING to fear. And when the government has nothing to fear, it can do whatever it wants to "the people".

Ridding the citizenry of a means to defend their freedoms, makes it easier to take away other freedoms.

Now, you would think that "the press" would be on the side of "the people". But in the matter of "gun control", they, AND the educational system, overwhelmingly, are not. But what those who now make up "the press", and the educational system can't seem to wrap their heads around is this...

After they come for the guns, they will come for the typewriters, and the teachers.

Has history taught them nothing?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    We see history repeating itself again with the Govt consolidating power and subverting the citizenry and Constitution at every turn. We have had Reichschtag after Reichschtag from this regime and I believe they are fully prepared to do what Stalin,Mao and Pol Pot did FOR their people.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    The press hypes gun violence and deaths so the average person is left with the impression that guns serve no purpose other than to maim or kill.

As in most to subjects in life, education helps overcome fear and apprehension.

Mr H

Banana'd
    History has taught them nothing, because nobody has taught them history. :sad20:

Piognant post of the month....

People are afraid because they are told to be afraid... and they believe their keepers, who tell them that THEIR keepers care so much about their well-being, and if they only vote for them, they are the source of all things good and safe and worthy.

We the Sheeple..............................

:mad54:

redoktober

Short memories and a general false sense of security. Seriously, does no one remember the major urban riots in the 60's, the more recent LA riots, or even the chaos or disorder in New Orleans post-Katrina? Everyone has this sort of mentality that America is isolated from foreign threats (heck, the world was at war and the Japanese actually bombed us just a generation or two ago) or even domestic strife.

The second factor is the culturalization of guns. Used to be that plenty of schools and kids grew up learning to shoot a .22 for recreation. You don't even get that in the scouts anymore. Oh wait, schools are gun free zones! Do they still teach hunter's safety classes at schools?

I think the NRA should institute some sort of national youth program where we have civlian pellet rifle or rimfire shooting programs for kids in schools.

It's like you either grow up with it and end up liking it, or you don't and fear the bejesus out of anything guns related.

Last edited:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    A false sense of security, false trust in government, ignorance of history.

I saw a huge posting about all the nations who had ethnic cleansing brought about post gun control. People were in total denial it could ever happen here.

Look at how many Jews support gun control and then look at Nazi policies towards gun ownership.

People are also unwilling to accept that they may be victims. They force themselves to believe that guns, not evil, is the root of violence, and that if they can just eliminate guns, they will eliminate evil.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    People think that since they voted & campaigned for, donated to their favorite politician, that they have some control and therefor the government can't turn on them. Kinda like like the folks who raise a wild animal like a cute little raccoon and can't believe it when it grows up then bites them.

RUOMO10

Dec 16, 2012
    Maryland
    Doesn't a democracy usually last on average 200 years? I know we are past that mark but it does seem like we are down that road of a democracy morphing into something else. History tends to repeat itself.

porscheguy

Jul 30, 2012
    People fear guns because for many of them, their only exposure to guns comes from the television, and the TV industry is notoriously anti-gun.
    1. How many of you have seen a cartoon where one of the characters go to touch a gun and it immediately starts firing when they pick it up, like it has a mind of its own?
    2. On TV, the only people who use guns are cops, soldiers, and bad guys. Rarely do you see a story where a regular person uses a gun for self defense, and the person does, there's usually some negative consequence for doing it.
    3. According to TV, guns are accessories for rappers and gangstas (and you don't want to be associated with them do you?)

But the main reason people have an irrational fear of guns is because the have no exposure to them aside from TV and the newspaper. And gun information is brought to them by people who have an anti-gun bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom