• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The thing is , the latest version literally retains the HPRB . The Bill seeks to undermine it by a yet to be seen degree by adding ALJ imeadately above it in the appeals chain , but the Board is still there in current form .

819 sucks inherently , and is unnecessary . But since the Board is not abolished , and effects are ambiguous, by itself does not make a fruitful Litmus Test to be used in post game analysis that starts 4/10/ 18 for MGA, and 4/16/18 for the GOV .

We have 888 and 1032 for better predictors .

What is it yet to be seen? HPRB gives either side an adverse ruling and you can demand a de novo hearing in front of an ALJ who supercedes the board. It is not an appeal on the record of HPRB, it's a do over. You (or MSP) can add evidence or witnesses not brought before the board if you like. Not sure what an applicant pays to file for this step, but I think MSP doesn't have that issue.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We have yet to see the actual practices regarding MSP use of Appeals . We have yet to see patterns (if any) of ALJs on Appeals before them ( if any ) .

I hear you , see where you're going with it . And have my own personal speculations . But we don't yet * know * .

In the Dept of Be Careful What You Ask For - Your side made considerable effort to push " Don't Abolish the HPRB " . Sen Zirkin took us literally, and wrangled Sausage to give us literally what we asked for ... The Board not Abolished .

In 20/20 hindsight , our message should have been " Save the Board , AND maintain the current structure of Appeals Process of W&C related decisions by MSP. "

If someone wished , they might place 819 votes into the plethora of misc Committee Votes that went no farther . But TO ME , 819 as finnally written , doesn't rise enough to turn the Big Two in the Big Three of lightning rod Bills.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    We have yet to see the actual practices regarding MSP use of Appeals . We have yet to see patterns (if any) of ALJs on Appeals before them ( if any ) .

I hear you , see where you're going with it . And have my own personal speculations . But we don't yet * know * .

In the Dept of Be Careful What You Ask For - Your side made considerable effort to push " Don't Abolish the HPRB " . Sen Zirkin took us literally, and wrangled Sausage to give us literally what we asked for ... The Board not Abolished .

In 20/20 hindsight , our message should have been " Save the Board , AND maintain the current structure of Appeals Process of W&C related decisions by MSP. "

If someone wished , they might place 819 votes into the plethora of misc Committee Votes that went no farther . But TO ME , 819 as finnally written , doesn't rise enough to turn the Big Two in the Big Three of lightning rod Bills.

would you say that we do know this was not done to help us and not done to help the average joe to get a md ccw?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Board’s Action Requirements
    Within 90 days after receiving a request for a review/hearing of the Secretary’s (of the State Police) action, the Board, at its discretion, may choose either to:

1) Review the record developed by the Secretary of the State Police; or
    2) Conduct a hearing.

HPRB has totally abandon reviewing applications and making a finding. With this new system it would behoove them not to hear anyone and just thumbs up or down on the application and any additional documents they ask for or one enters. Why go through two hearings. Even now with all the permit modifications they are doing, I have no idea why they can't make a finding with a written statement and submitting previous testimony that has prevailed and is applicable to your own application.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Who would even want to be on the HPRB now?

Glad you wrote that.

This doesn't take effect till Oct 1st if finalized. I'd implore the current board to comb through cases and overturn or sustain MSP on cases it can review on the record before then. There is a lot of precedent applicable to many modifications, save yourselves (and appellants) the trouble of hearings you do not need. MSP would have to appeal to circuit until Oct 1.

If this Bill becomes law, I'd never waste my time hearing a case if on that board. The DC board I don't believe had many hearings, it was all via interrogatories when I did mine and failed 2-0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom