• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I think people are skeptical because Pakistan and Turkey have had many many years to work out the kinks building the MP5 clone. PSA has a history of unreliable products. And also not shipping to MD, which burns people up.

I have never built an MP5 clone (although you can buy the parts kit at hkparts.net), but every video and blog I have read suggests this is not a small feat you can do in a garage, like an AR. Pressing and welding the receiver flat looks very easy to screw up even if you know what you are doing - and the tolerances on German engineering are tight. Making one receiver flat (taking ones time) as a prototype or garage project is hard, but even that is a lot easier than pumping them out for a mass audience with the tolerances needed. Could easily end up with lot of mass produced jam-o-matics.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    So I'm confused that people think PSA will fail in this endeavor yet we consider guns made in PAKISTAN to be ok? I understand they're made under license but have you ever gotten anything high quality with a made in Pakistan sticker on it? I won't own one either way as the only way it floats my boat is in 10mm and I doubt that'll happen.

One manufacturer has decades of experience making the real deal for military and law enforcement use with actual tooling and TDP from H&K. The other is an American commercial entity trying to make them at a low price point for recreational shooters. POFs have ugly paint, but they're already known to work very well.

The same deal as AKs. Do you trust a factory that got set up by the Soviets during the Cold War and has millions of its products in military hands today or the small American manufacturer reverse engineering it from scratch?

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    We wish PSA all the luck in the world on their project but it will be a tough push up to get a quality Roller lock to market for 900 bucks. We will offer it if they make it but only after we have tested the guns very thoroughly the MP5 is not as simple and forgiving as the AR15 to build.

Thank you, I won't be holding my breath for any of PSA's wide array of unreliable junk. Especially after the lack of support of their KS47. It had a great marketing push, so much hype, but once guns hit the streets they couldn't keep up with the issues and now they barely respond. Their CS sucks and they have their hands in too many pots IMO (AK, AR15, AR10, 1911, etc). When they run into issues they abandon the projects and start a new one. People only like this company because it's "affordable". :sad20:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    We expect more full sized POF pistols to arrive this week

POF Pistol

pof%20fs9.jpg

Any in stock yet? Looking forward to seeing the price on these.

Thanks!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Does anyone know if the POF-5 can be built into a MD compliant SBR? I'm having trouble finding the overall length of the pistol. I have the length of the stock, but I' can't find any info on the overall length of the pistol.

Thanks!

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    It makes exactly zero sense to SBR anything in this state so long as ATF says you can touch the $200 brace to your shoulder.

Where have I read that before? :lol:

I think you've posted that exact sentence 5 or 6 times in the last week :D

I highlighted the important part. Although I will agree with you when it comes to pistols that can't meet the OAL requirement without a ridiculous stock or pinned muzzle device.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Does anyone know if the POF-5 can be built into a MD compliant SBR? I'm having trouble finding the overall length of the pistol. I have the length of the stock, but I' can't find any info on the overall length of the pistol.

Thanks!

Wikipedia has 27" for the A2 and 27.2" for the A3. I think the F stock is a bit longer than the regular A3.

Why not use an arm brace to avoid all that? The SB Tactical one is plenty useable. A lot of people have made their own adapters for the Tailhook braces. They saw off an A3 stock, make a cylindrical adapter to bolt on, and attach the Tailhook. That's even more usable.

MP5-RH-collapsed-logo-sized.jpg

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Where have I read that before? :lol:

I think you've posted that exact sentence 5 or 6 times in the last week :D

I highlighted the important part. Although I will agree with you when it comes to pistols that can't meet the OAL requirement without a ridiculous stock or pinned muzzle device.

or more.

I've fondled the Zenith with the brace. If it were me, get the brace now for $200, no wait or stamp. Then in 3 years one can still SBR it as needed.

The more one looks into how SBRS are treated in this state (as pistols for some parts of the code, as rifles for others) you end up with the worst of everything.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It makes exactly zero sense to SBR anything in this state so long as ATF says you can touch the $200 brace to your shoulder.

Wikipedia has 27" for the A2 and 27.2" for the A3. I think the F stock is a bit longer than the regular A3.

Why not use an arm brace to avoid all that? The SB Tactical one is plenty useable. A lot of people have made their own adapters for the Tailhook braces. They saw off an A3 stock, make a cylindrical adapter to bolt on, and attach the Tailhook. That's even more usable.

MP5-RH-collapsed-logo-sized.jpg

Braces are legal today. You can't say that will be the case a year from now. If they make the bump stock illegal, could the brace be far behind?

I'd rather hedge my bet and get the $200 stamp and know I'm safe. I'm looking at $1700 for the pistol to rifle conversion, what's another $200?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If braces or bump stocks become illegal next year, it will be 100% because of the Maryland legislature, and will be some Maryland specific rule. the $200 NFA stamp tax wont help you.

Braces and bump stocks can be whatever the state or Feds want them to be, but if I have a stamp, then they will have to make a major change in FEDERAL law.

I don't understand how you're equating braces and bump stocks to a SBR and a Federal stamp.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Braces and bump stocks can be whatever the state or Feds want them to be, but if I have a stamp, then they will have to make a major change in FEDERAL law.

Possibly, and I totally understand the desire for some insurance. From my perspective I just dont see the ATF making changes until 2020. And even if they do, we will get over a years notice, and they will have the tricky problem with all those who currently own these things. But if $200, fingerprints, and a 9 month wait gives people peace, thats ok too.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Do you know if this pistol, along with some type of butt stock can be built into a MD compliant SBR (>29")?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom