President Teddy Roosevelt's Sporting 1903 with documentation (picture heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Hey Guys,

Been working on a few things from the National Archives. Earlier this month I made a trip out to Sagamore Hill National Historic Site at Oyster Bay NY.

I just finished uploading these to my website so I thought I'd post them on here.

For a 1903 fan, these rifles need little introduction. When Theodore Roosevelt was President and the Office of Chief of Ordnance began transitioning away from the Krag and towards the iconic Springfield 1903, President Roosevelt requested Springfield Armory had one made for him to his specifications. I have attached a scan of his letter.

The story is well known, and you may have read about it in a book before. But the difference is, many books and articles will reference the story, but they don't actually show copies of the documentation. Sagamore Hill had not seen the documentation themselves, mainly because it was at the archives and not at their museum.

If you read the files, you will notice specific modifications made to his Sporting 1903 and the correspondence among Springfield Armory personnel concerning this project. (My personal favorite, after the project was completed, they would prefer not to undertake it again, not even for the President of the United States.)

What I like to do is throw out primary documentation and let people draw their own conclusions. With books, articles, etc. Accomplished authors and historians will travel to the archives to data mine primary documentation, compile it and write up their interpretation of the data for a book, thesis etc. The difference is, they are doing the majority of the interpretation for you. Which isn't bad at all. Far more organized than at the archives.

Perhaps you will get a different interpretation from a document than another collector, author or historian will. Not to mention traveling to the archives takes time and money.

So for those of you familiar with the story, here's a chance to read the raw data versus a summary an author has compiled for you. See if you notice a piece of information not mentioned before in a published works. This particular story is a bit straight forward, but there are countless other documents out there that require a great deal of interpretation.

I tried to get close ups of the particular components of each rifle. Especially if it was mentioned in the correspondence. I apologize that I am not a professional photographer. Fortunately, a local professional photographer caught wind of this project and is a firearms enthusiast and requested to be included in the next project. So the next products should be more pleasing to the eye. A couple more projects similar to this in nature at in the works at a couple other museums.
    s4lbPI3.jpg

s4lbPI3.jpg

sSWrBPw.jpg

FjFPpBx.jpg

d1tvZf1.jpg

1k9cMpV.jpg

urR4xNQ.jpg

HGvQ8Qx.jpg

yUC2YGf.jpg

ehv1y1S.jpg

kOiX25W.jpg

SaXmdsS.jpg

XozeFkG.jpg

im32LIC.jpg

4zMU0Ph.jpg

Ydl1XoF.jpg

hxpoPhe.jpg

SummRRO.jpg

kXS3Ypl.jpg

F16Jtrm.jpg

mD9nwzL.jpg

JjiykKS.jpg

HNKIN1E.jpg

3IAzTtl.jpg

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I'm diggin' the anti-glare checkering in front of the rear sight.

Your thoughts on the checkering is the "knurling" of the barrel mentioned in the documentation.

A lot of these terms are outdated.

The Lyman sight we're used to wasn't available till 1908 IIRC.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Damn, pretty frigging cool. Thanks for sharing. I like how they were concerned that the custom barrel checkering would cost $15.

The cost of manufacture of the standard 1903 was $12.60 ($14.89 with bayonet and sling). The monthly pay for a private was $15.00. I'm guessing that Springfield was just being helpful and didn't think about the President's salary being $50,000.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The cost of manufacture of the standard 1903 was $12.60 ($14.89 with bayonet and sling). The monthly pay for a private was $15.00. I'm guessing that Springfield was just being helpful and didn't think about the President's salary being $50,000.

I realize $15 was a ton of money back then, just kind of funny to think about them being concerned about an amount of money most of us would see as trivial any more.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Its worthless, Bubba has been working on it.

Seriously awesome. I tried to start a "guns at the museum" thread a couple years ago but couldn't keep up with it.

What I'm working on is a bit more, I'm not sure how to describe it. Let's say complicated and hair pulling, building a library from small arms documents at the national archives.

For people to acess and learn, to help fund research like this.

Have you seen any 03 or Krag stuff on Othais C&Rsenal on youtube. Provided his team with a lot of data in return for plugins. Hoping people have an interest in reading this stuff. I don't mind digging and sharing but the incidental costs can accumulate rather quickly.

I could be wasting my time and no one cares about reading this files though. And that is NOT sarcasm. I just started this thread to see if I was wasting my time doing this.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thank you for taking the time to post! TRs 1903 custom sporter is not the only fascinating thing, the documentation is an amazing window into a different time and place.
    There was a time when shooting and firearms weren't demonized. Leaders like TR and Winston Churchill routinely carried and used firearms. It's said that Churchill carried a Colt 1911 in the trenches in France and again as his carry piece during WWII. Did see that a Webley 1907 in .32ACP of Churchill's was sold at auction in 1917 from the estate of his daughter.
    I did some additional digging and found that JFK was a shooter and had a nice collection. An NRA member, he got a Garand through the DCM and had an Army armorer bring it to match condition. Probably the one thing I can say I have in common with a president. Here's a cool article on it.
    And here's a famous photo of FD Roosevelt at the range at Indian Head MD during WWI with his 1903 Springfield.

Attachments

• F4tWCan.jpg
      F4tWCan.jpg
      85.7 KB · Views: 154

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads