• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I apologize...I know this if often asked.

I am moving to Maryland because my love for my kids and my grandkids has finally gotten to the point that it outweighs my love for firearm freedom. A second grandson will go that (I built an all-Idaho AR-15 for my first grandson's first birthday...just waiting for him to be old enough to learn to use it. My own little rebellion.) So I'm trying to figure out which firearms to bring to Maryland and which to leave in Idaho.

Is it possible to bring in ANY firearms without having to tell anyone in Maryland about them?

Does my multi-state concealed carry permit buy me ANYTHING in Maryland in terms of firearm freedoms?

Would it make any difference at all, in terms of firearms in my possession, if I maintained my residence in Idaho?

Does it make any difference where I live? The plan is on the eastern shore somewhere.

If Maryland has to be notified about incoming firearms, what is the process?

The problem...I own 42 handguns, 18 shotguns and 31 rifles...at last count. Everything from Marine Corps issued (to my father-in-law) 1911's to S&W Model 41's and 52's to modern Kimbers and Springfield XD family handguns with a handful of revolvers thrown in for good measure. Shotguns are all variety also...pump, semi-auto and O/U...old and new(er). Rifles range from M1 Carbines and Garands to AR-15's to SKS's to custom PRS style rifles to hunting rifles...with a couple of Ruger 10-22's thrown in.

Any input would be helpful. And if there is any place that Maryland has laid out the regulations in understandable English, please point me there as well.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I apologize...I know this if often asked.

I am moving to Maryland because my love for my kids and my grandkids has finally gotten to the point that it outweighs my love for firearm freedom. A second grandson will go that (I built an all-Idaho AR-15 for my first grandson's first birthday...just waiting for him to be old enough to learn to use it. My own little rebellion.) So I'm trying to figure out which firearms to bring to Maryland and which to leave in Idaho.

Is it possible to bring in ANY firearms without having to tell anyone in Maryland about them?

Does my multi-state concealed carry permit buy me ANYTHING in Maryland in terms of firearm freedoms?

Would it make any difference at all, in terms of firearms in my possession, if I maintained my residence in Idaho?

Does it make any difference where I live? The plan is on the eastern shore somewhere.

If Maryland has to be notified about incoming firearms, what is the process?

The problem...I own 42 handguns, 18 shotguns and 31 rifles...at last count. Everything from Marine Corps issued (to my father-in-law) 1911's to S&W Model 41's and 52's to modern Kimbers and Springfield XD family handguns with a handful of revolvers thrown in for good measure. Shotguns are all variety also...pump, semi-auto and O/U...old and new(er). Rifles range from M1 Carbines and Garands to AR-15's to SKS's to custom PRS style rifles to hunting rifles...with a couple of Ruger 10-22's thrown in.

Any input would be helpful. And if there is any place that Maryland has laid out the regulations in understandable English, please point me there as well.

Where are your kids located? PA, DE, VA, and WV are all way better choices than MD. MD is a relatively small state, You can live in any of the adjoining states and be less than an hour from any spot in MD and avoid ALL the Bovine Excrement that is Maryland.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I agree with the others suggesting you look at a neighboring state. If your family is in the northern part of the state, there are lots of nice places to live in PA. We're taking about moving over the line into New Freedom, PA and the surrounding areas. That puts us less than an hour from our family that is here.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Not to mention you can get a lot more house for your money in WV, DE, PA. MD house prices on the Western shore are pretty high.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

Keep in mind that in Maryland, "regulated firearms" means handguns. Long guns are not regulated (although some are prohibited). In Maryland, a long gun has a minimum 16" barrel and 29" OAL. You'll have to dig in a bit more on what long guns are prohibited. For example, you mentioned an SKS. SKSs are fine in Maryland as long as they haven't been modified from using a fixed magazine to having a removable magazine.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Register as an illegal . Move to Montgomery County. Bring all the guns you want. ;p

This is not to be consider sane advice unless you are a Democrat.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Let me try to answer your original question a little in case you really do move here. I am not a lawyer (IANAL).

1. None of your out of state carry permits will help you here. MD does issue permits but they are hard to get.

2. You can bring non-banned long guns here without any registration.

3. Banned long guns (so-called assault rifles) cannot be brought here unless you owned them before 10/1/2013 (the effective date of the ban). And then you have to register them within 30 days. If you aquired them after the effective date of the ban you cannot bring them here. The banned rifles do not include AR-15 HBARS but do include all other AR-15s, AK-47s and M1As (for some strange reason). You need to research the actual somewhat ecclectic list.

3. You can bring handguns but must register them within 30 days of establishing residency.

4. Magazines over 10 rounds are banned but it is a sales ban and possession is not prohibited so you can bring those you have and any more you acquire must be done out of state.

5. You can only transport handguns for allowed proposes, like going to the range. There are more, you can research that yourself. But you can't just ride around with a handgun in your car even if it is unloaded and in your trunk. FOPA probably overrides this in some cases for interstate trips.

6. An HQL is required to acquire non-C&R handguns once you get here. Not required to bring in the ones you already have.

That's just some of it but should give you a good idea of what you can bring and what you can't.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Short answer.

All your shotguns are fine. No need to notify anyone.

All your handguns are fine. You have 30 days to notify the state police about all of them.

The rifles. MD has a banned list. If you own anything on this, including non-hbar ar15s, bought prior to 10/1/13, they're fine but you have to notify. Bought after that date are banned. Rifles not on that list are fine with no need to notify.

NFA is good too, with one exception. SBRs must have OAL of 29" or longer.

All your magazines are fine. We cannot buy, but we can possess magazines greater than 10 rounds.

Your carry permit is worthless in this state.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Sounds like you have a nice collection.

I'd live in a neighboring state too if i were you. All of our neighboring states are a hell of a lot closer to Marylands Eastern shore than Idaho and you can still have your firearm freedoms. Sounds like a good comprimise to me.

What town(s) are you family in? We could help you better if we knew.
    I will be the 10th one to say live in a neighboring state.
    The Boise analogy would be there is nowhere in Maryland that is further from a neighboring free state than Boise is to the Oregon line. All of the neighboring states are gun friendly.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Post #12 for the details. The banned rifles are confusing , you may ask us about specifics for your Evil Black Rifles .

Unlike out west , Maryland is a physically narrow state . Any part of the state is within an hour of a state border ( non- rush hour ), and only a small pocket of central Md would take that long .

If you are otherwise looking at the Eastern Shore , anywhere is 30min or less to Delaware, or the Eastern Shore portion of Va . ( Delaware has a cumbersome procedure for carry Permit , but once you jump the hoops, you will be issued .)

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    DON'T MOVE TO MARYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My exact sentiments...

You'll be very very sorry...

Merry-Land, the State of Denial...

Most likely you will NOT be able to transfer the AR you built to your Grandson...

AR laws are very very restrictive...

STUDY Merry Land's GUN LAWS = SB 2013...

Read up on what is required for you to get PERMISSION to buy any guns = HQL...

Just say NO WAY RENEE & run for the exits...

Delaware is directly next door to the Eastern Shore & is a better place to live IMO...

Good Luck..!

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    The family reasoning is understood. Without repeating what’s already been written, here are a few other thoughts:

-many of us on the forum want out of MD and/or are making plans to get out

-the East Coast may chew you up and spit you out of you’ve lived your entire life in Idaho

-Delaware has better firearms laws than MD, but much of Delaware is a dump

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom