• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Hey fellow MDSers,

I am in need of a plumber that would be willing to replace a toilet in a condo in Laurel (Near Rt 198/Van Dusen Rd). I will lend a hand, but I will be honest I'd rather just lend a check. The current one won't send anything down anymore, It's had this issue on and off for a while, it's time to just replace it with something from this century. I don't have my truck, so I am just going to hire someone to do it.

I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible.

Thanks,
    Mark

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    It sounds like it may be a bigger issue than just a toilet...

Try flushing it with a large bucket of water...

IF you have the same issue, it's probably NOT the toilet..?

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    A toilet either flushes or doesn't, If it has had issues for a while, I would say you have something in the line. Is there another toilet in the condo? has the neighboring condo had issues also?

If you do have a larger issue, I would go buy a closet auger and auger it out myself before spending a few hundred on a plumber.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    The Kohler toilet from Home Depot or Lowes gives you everything you need, except a new water supply tube. They are almost completely preassembled. You pretty much just need a screw driver. The screws are prepositioned inside the tank and they give you the wrench for tightening the nuts. You will need a putty knife to remove the old wax ring from the flange. They even have a threaded piece that holds the flange nuts in place while you position the toilet. If you follow directions, a new toilet should take about 15 minutes to install.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I recommend a Toto toilet for a rental. You can flush a cat down those things.

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I previously had it snaked when the unit was vacant and I didn't have any real improvement. It is like pulling teeth to get the property management folks to do anything.... it's always someone else's problem.

I had to search high and low for parts for it already, since none of the current repair parts fit sit to it's age. I just have a feeling it's a flow issue. When I was dumping waste water down out of 5 gal buckets, it went down fine. But flushing via the usual method seems a bit lackluster as far as flow goes.

I would do it myself if I had means to transport one, but right now my truck has been out for various repairs over the last few months, so all I have is my car....and I don't want some old crappy crapper in It. :)

This time I thought it easier to just hire someone.

Mark

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Did a tenant recently move out? they may have flushed a ping pong ball down the toilet to pay back a landlord for a thought wrong. It will go down from the bowel, but get trapped in the air trap. Pouring a pint of acetone down the toilet should dissolve a ping pong ball in an hour. Small floating toys have the same effect, my nephews had a habit of doing that when they were young, and my sister would have me come over to pull the toilet and get them out.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Mark. I would be happy to help you out, for all you do here you deserve it, I am not a plumber.
    Probably needs a new flange in addition to the toilet. PM sent

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Make sure to use an oversized wax ring. Replaced the toilet in the master last year and after 4 mths had leakage at the base. Replaced with oversized ring and no problem so far. Got the American Standard low flow. Works great.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Did a tenant recently move out? they may have flushed a ping pong ball down the toilet to pay back a landlord for a thought wrong. It will go down from the bowel, but get trapped in the air trap. Pouring a pint of acetone down the toilet should dissolve a ping pong ball in an hour. Small floating toys have the same effect, my nephews had a habit of doing that when they were young, and my sister would have me come over to pull the toilet and get them out.

I'm thinking more like diaper or Kotex. :sad20:

Attachments

• shitter.jpg
      shitter.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 204

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Maybe calcium build up inside the trap and the jets under the rim. I use ZEP Professional Lime Remover and pick the rim jets with a wire to clear them.
    Leaving pee in the toilet overnight or for long periods and/or hard water will cause a build up. In the trap scale just slows things down. In the rim it clogs the jets. When you flush make sure all the jets are flowing water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom