• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tcounc

Apr 10, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    So, as indicated above, I am curious about purchasing a 1911. I am aware that name and price do not indicate performance. I have shot other 1911's and enjoyed them and my Sig P229 .40 just doesn't feel right to me for some reason. (SIG Guys, I still love it) I also have a 9mm which i purchased for my girlfriend to shoot (tiny hands) and we have enjoyed it as well. Im curious what you guys suggest would be a decent 1911 for me to pick up, (possibly trade my Sig for)

thank you in advance

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    This is a loaded question because there's a lot to the world of 1911 pistols.

With that said, I'll throw a suggestion into the ring - then next time I have an extra amount of cash laying round for a gun purchase, I want the Springfield Range Officer's model. It's modestly priced, and there's just a lot of bang for the buck where that pistol is concerned IMO.

PI9129LP_1200x782.png

PI9124LP_1200x782.png

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I have two Rocks (RIA) they are very good basic models, GI sights. These would be a good starting 1911. If you want to trade your Sig, then look for a Colt, or a Sig 1911.

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.

With that said, I'll throw a suggestion into the ring - then next time I have an extra amount of cash laying round for a gun purchase, I want the Springfield Range Officer's model. It's modestly priced, and there's just a lot of bang for the buck where that pistol is concerned IMO.

Agree on the RO, especially in 9mm. I have a Stainless RO (9mm) tricked out with VZ grips and a Dawson Magwell for IDPA SSP. Wife like it so much that I bought her a RO Operator in 9mm.

I also have three Kimbers in .45. Custom II, Ultra II 3", and Desert Warrior TFS. All are nice guns. The II models have the firing pin block safety but I have never had an issue with that.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I agree that the SA RO is the best value out there. I think they have a tactical model RO now (not sure what they call it) but it has a rail and combat sights instead of those horrible adjustable target sights. You will cut yourself wide open on those on a regular basis if you do any dynamic shooting and don't wear gloves. Combat sights, a rail if you desire it and add a mag well bevel yourself - cheap and easy.

Edit: I think the RO Operator is the tactical version, as the previous post mentions.
    If you can afford it get an SA MC Operator or TRP Operator. Stay away from aluminum frame 1911s unless they are strictly for carry and you know what you are getting in to.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo

PI9129LP_1200x782.png

PI9124LP_1200x782.png

That bottom picture is a exact copy of my Colt Gold Cup.:party29:
    (Except for the grips)

1911Buck

Mar 22, 2017
    MD
    My first question would be "What is your price range?" That will give you a better idea of where to go. If it 5-800 dollars, a RIA might be it. If you can spend 1000- 1500 maybe a Dan Wesson might be more to your liking. There are a plethora of 1911 companies out there that build fine products within their certain price ranges. How much you want to spend will determine where to go. JMO.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    It's hard to go wrong with a Springfield loaded or range officer for your first 1911. If you can swing it the Springfield loaded mc operator and the trp are really nice and worth the money. Dan Wesson builds some really nice ones as well.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I'll agree with a Springfield RO or similar variant. I purchased one from KYGunCo for like $650 + free shipping a little over a month ago (sorry local shops. You know I love you and try to support you whenever possible . . . But a good deal is a good deal). Springfield is also running a promo right now, so when you register for the promo you get 4 extra mags, extra holster, and extra mag carriers. Pretty good deal overall.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If I had a HQL and I was in the market for a new 1911 with a mid-range price point, I would buy.....

Ruger SR1911

Quality Materials and Assembly, Reliable Service with a Lifetime Warranty

Made and Assembled in USA

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    S&W E Series. Great trigger, fit and finish are top notch. US made, and a looker in the stainless wood grips. Even have a rail model if like that look.

Wolfshaker

Mar 3, 2009
    Cecil County
    +1 for the Range Officer. They are nice pieces. I also like the Springfield TRP and TRP Operator as well, but they are a little more money. Bang for buck though, my vote is the range officer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    So, as indicated above, I am curious about purchasing a 1911. I am aware that name and price do not indicate performance. I have shot other 1911's and enjoyed them and my Sig P229 .40 just doesn't feel right to me for some reason. (SIG Guys, I still love it) I also have a 9mm which i purchased for my girlfriend to shoot (tiny hands) and we have enjoyed it as well. Im curious what you guys suggest would be a decent 1911 for me to pick up, (possibly trade my Sig for)

thank you in advance

Go here:

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

You will find all kinds of information about 1911s and other handguns. :thumbsup:

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I left the 1911 game a long time ago and sold the 9 or so I had sitting around...
    I kept one that was a gift.
    I have recently purchased a STI Lawman in .45 and a Springfield RO in 9mm.
    I can tell you that the fit, and finish of the Springfield is not on par with Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Bill Wilson, STI, Etc....
    However...
    The Springfield RO is a damn fine gun with series 70 type internals that will give you a great platform to build on if you feel necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom