• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I may have to try some of their slugs out.

Their Tango cartridges also look like they may spoil some miscreant's day.:)
    If they produce a subsonic Tango, I'll be on board with those as well.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Awesome looking round! But for defense? Not in marylandistan for me. Shoot an intruder with these and I bet I'm going away for a long long time.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    But for defense? Not in marylandistan for me. Shoot an intruder with these and I bet I'm going away for a long long time.

In general, your point is well-taken. But as long as you can prove you shot in [justifiable] self defense, these shouldn't cause you any more legal trouble than most other good (i.e., tissue-damaging) hollow points.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Awesome looking round! But for defense? Not in marylandistan for me. Shoot an intruder with these and I bet I'm going away for a long long time.

Show me a single case where the ammo was an issue in a clean defensive shoot. One.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    We'll never really get a direct answer to that question, at least from reading court records. The fear isn't the choice of ammo or other goodies affecting the binary guilty vs. not guilty determination, rather, we need to hear from a host of criminal and civil defense attorneys whose tell us of clients who endured added time, aggravation and expense defending non-traditional defense choices. I cannot hypothesize every line of attack an aggressive prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney may choose. Rather than do that, I try to be as plain vanilla as possible, and not stand out for making off-beat choices. Part of that means using the tools LEOs use, at least in regard to guns and ammo...and don't look like a mall ninja.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It's a case of BGOS. People being worried about after-market triggers, ammo etc. if you intend to pull the trigger, and intend to hit the attacker center mass, and you intend to incapacitate that person, mission accomplished. My HD gun is a suppressed short barreled AR with a suppressor chambered in .300 BLK loaded with Hornady A-max 220 grain rounds. I have a 40 round magazine. It has a red dot and a 1000 lumen light. It also has a Geissele trigger. If I shoot someone (God forbid), it's because that is my intention. I protected my family. Did I carefully consider the configuration of my HD firearm? Absolutely I did. I configured it to meet my potential needs. Did I choose ammo that I thought would incapacitate an attacker? Yep, sure did. Did I keep firing until there was no longer a threat? Yep. Did I train to do that? Yep. If my family is safe, I did my job. Am I worried about being convicted for killing someone in my house? Not at all.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They brought it up in Zimmerman's case. Those evil expanding hollow point bullets...
    Didn't make a difference, did it? I bet if Zimmerman were in his home there never would have been a trial. I can cite scholarly articles on stopping power and defensive ammo.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Didn't make a difference, did it? I bet if Zimmerman were in his home there never would have been a trial. I can cite scholarly articles on stopping power and defensive ammo.

Maybe it did make a difference, just not in a readily apparent way. I reiterate what I said above, while it did not affect the guilty/not guilty determination, we need to ask Zim or his attorney how many hours he may have spent addressing the ammo issue. If his attorney spent 5 hours dealing with the ammo question, and he bills himself out at $400 per hour, Zim was out $2K in additional legal fees because of the ammo choice. If an expert witness needed to be hired, then Zim's expenses to defend were even higher.

I just look at all the choices I can make that help or hurt in this regard, and decide whether or not they are worth it. Hollow point ammo is the most effective ammo for the job and is worth the potential aggravation. OTOH, having "Molon Labe" engraved on my defense lower does not enhance its performance and, IMHO, is not worth the potential aggravation. My personal goal is to be as close to "soccer-mom approved" as I can get, since that is the kind of jury my opponent shall try and seat, and he shall use that as leverage against me to obtain a plea or settlement. These are things to consider.

ETA: I reread the choices you made for your defense set up, and IMHO, they are practical things that increase your chances of prevailing in a defensive encounter. To my reckoning, that's good. You did not include things that do nothing to materially to improve your odds of survival, yet do increase a prosecutor's/plaintiff's attorney's hook into your liberty or checkbook.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    ETA: I reread the choices you made for your defense set up, and IMHO, they are practical things that increase your chances of prevailing in a defensive encounter. To my reckoning, that's good. You did not include things that do nothing to materially to improve your odds of survival, yet do increase a prosecutor's/plaintiff's attorney's hook into your liberty or checkbook.

Yes. SBR for maneuverability, suppressor so I don't blow out my ear drums in a hallway, 1000 lumen light to see what I am shooting at/disorient an attacker. Good ammo that will neutralize an attacker, and plenty of it in case I miss. I could be an obese naked man whose slumber was interrupted. Again, I can cite references indicating that all of these things are useful. I doubt I will ever have to use it, but if put in that situation I plan on prevailing. I'll worry about the rest later. :D

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Yes. SBR for maneuverability, suppressor so I don't blow out my ear drums in a hallway, 1000 lumen light to see what I am shooting at/disorient an attacker. Good ammo that will neutralize an attacker, and plenty of it in case I miss. I could be an obese naked man whose slumber was interrupted. Again, I can cite references indicating that all of these things are useful. I doubt I will ever have to use it, but if put in that situation I plan on prevailing. I'll worry about the rest later. :D

That probably applies to many of us, doc! :lol2:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Back on topic: Something tells me that a 2.25 oz slug is a new thing for shotguns, whether the design is new or not. I bet recoil will be an issue.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Back on topic: Something tells me that a 2.25 oz slug is a new thing for shotguns, whether the design is new or not. I bet recoil will be an issue.

Its total energy is the same, so there should be no change in recoil.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Show me a single case where the ammo was an issue in a clean defensive shoot. One.

I can't, or won't bother to look it up. I have seen prosecutors try for premeditation with even using hollow points.

Just my personal preference so I'll refuse to get all defensive. Go ahead and use them if you want.

In this state? Not a frikkin chance with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom