• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Looking for recommendations for 1911 chambered in .22lr. I don't currently have any 1911s so a slide assembly swap is out. I would like something affordable ($500ish) and reliable.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have a Colt brand (mfg by Umarex). It is reliable and meets my accuracy expectations.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The Browning Buckmark and the Ruget 22/45 have the dame grip angles and controls as a 1911.

They are also much more accurate than any 1911 in .22lr

Try these put
    You will not be disappointed.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The .22lr 1911 will take actual 1911 sights , FCG's , mainspring housings, etc .if one is inclined to closely emulate a 1911 generally , or their own 1911 specifically.

Are they as accurate as a Buckmark ? No . Are they as accurate as an average .22lr pistol , suitable for training and plinkng ? Yes . Choose your preferences and biases.

The OP refered to an ".22lr 1911 " vs a ".22lr with a kinda 1911 grip angle " , and I presume he thought out his choice. For myself , in the spring of '13 when all the shelves of Md gun stores were stripped bare , I was openmindedly looking for a full size .22lr pistol. Found the Colt 1911 at a good price , and have come to like it well. Other than that damned rail ! Not only is it ugly , but won't fit into most of my 1911 holsters. About once a week I get tempted to grind it off.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have the ATI 1911 22 cal and love it. Fun to shoot and never a misfire or jam. This same pistol is also sold with the Sig brand,but it costs more.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Thanks for the recommendations thus far. I don't need the accuracy of the buckmark or 22/45 and am really looking for a 1911 variant. cost is a factor but reliability is my chief concern.
    I looked up the ATI offerings and that is probably the direction I am headed. the price is just right.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Take a look at the GSG 1911- 22 .... someone on here in Beltsville MD just had one listed.. I own one as well

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The gun I WANT to recommend is the RIA XT-22, but it's picky about what it eats (it wants plated RN bullets, preferably CCI Mini-Mags). Otherwise, it's just about the closest thing to a real-deal 1911 in 22lr you can get - sort of the equivalent to a real AR-15 lower with the dedicated CMMG 22lr upper.

That said, the other thing I'd strongly consider is going with a centerfire 1911 first, and then grabbing a conversion kit later. I have seen some surprisingly positive reviews of the GSG conversion kit, and it's stupidly cheap for what it is.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    That said, the other thing I'd strongly consider is going with a centerfire 1911 first, and then grabbing a conversion kit later. I have seen some surprisingly positive reviews of the GSG conversion kit, and it's stupidly cheap for what it is.

I can vouch for this - I've got a Ruger SR1911, which is very nice and at a good price point, and the GSG conversion kit. It's a quick switch when I want to shoot some .22, and the combination works really well. It's not fussy about ammo and it's been very reliable. I've only put about 500 rounds through it (the .22 slide), but I'm happy with it.

Maybe it's not competition match accurate, but it's plenty precise enough that the weak link is the shooter (me).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The glowing reviews of the GSG kit are what are convincing me I'm not just pouring money into a collection hole as I track down an Israeli-made 1911 I've been after. I've got no intention of getting into .45ACP (I'm a 9mm man), but could live with it as 22lr gun.

The CWA Exoskeleton slides also look pretty bad-ass, and fix the "zinc slides always break" problem that haunts the GSG and others.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    I want to check out the Browning 1911-22 but haven't run across any. It's dimensions are 85% the size of a full size 1911. Sounds cool!

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I have the Browning 1911-22 A1 and highly recommend it if you are looking for a 1911 clone. It is small and fits nicely in the hand of both an adult and a child/smaller adult. The only complaint I have is the sights - they are likewise small and, with the front blade being black, it can sometimes be difficult to acquire your target in dim lighting. In my opinion, based on what I've seen and read, it is the best of the 1911 clones in 22 LR. I have a friend who has a full-size 1911 made by Ruger, and he always has FTF/FTE issues. He can minimize these issues by using high-velocity ammo, but they still happen. I have put 600+ rounds through my Browning, both standard velocity and high velocity, and I have yet to experience a FTF/FTE.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I also own a Sig GSG 1911 22lr. Made in Germany for Sig so you get the Sig warranty. Had about a year and love it. Prefers CCI minimags or any other hi velocity ammo. Cost me about $400 new but only came with one 10rd mag. Extra mag cost around $20. Good luck.

MSG Army Ret
    MD Designated Collector
    NRA member
    VFW/AL member
    Md registered voter

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Another vote for a GSG 1911-22. Mine cycles anything and I shoot it more accurately than my Neos or my glock. Love the thing. And you can easily suppress it one day if you see fit since it comes threaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Thanks all, very helpful. it seems like the ATI and Sig are the same gun no? I think the ATI sells slightly cheaper so I will probably go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom