• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm just starting to reload and I've currently got an RCBS Uniflow for measuring my powder. Unfortunately, I'm getting a lot of variation when trying to throw IMR 700-X, up to +/- 0.5 grains. I didn't have any issues with Winchester WST, but the 700-X is giving me fits. I've run 4-5 lbs of powder through it and wiped everything down with a used dryer sheet to try and remove any static electricity. Is there anything else that I should check? I'm trying to be as consistent as possible when manipulating the throwing arm.

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    It's not the Uniflow or You. It's the powder. 700X is one of those powders that just doesn't meter well. I had the same problem with it in a Uniflow and a Dillion.

WST meters very well!

Walt

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I just picked up some 700X to try and while I didn't have the variation that you had I def did have some fluctuation.

I have noticed for the most part ball meters great from the Uniflow, Flake is ok but can occasionally drop a WTH charge and extruded pretty much sucks and can be all over the place. I prob don't bang out as many rounds as many because I weigh almost all charges. Partially because Im still working up loads but also because the things has been somewhat inconsistent. When possible if you have a powder that fits your application use ball powders they meter like a dream from the Uniflow in my experience.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks for the feedback. I ran Bullseye through my uncle's Uniflow without much issue, but I guess the 700X is a bit more picky. I ended up just using the scoop and scale method for my test loads, so we'll see how those work out.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    If you have a trickle you can just meter a little low and trickle them up. Typically what I do on a powder that is less than cooperative.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    This is the method that I employ. I also record the Uniflow micrometer setting for the "just under" load in order to get back to that setting next time. You can reload quite quickly when you just have to trickle in the last 2/10s of a grain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom