• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It's pretty much moot at this point. I've spent all my cash and darn near exhausted all of my credit. And there's still more that I want. My wife said to get what I want now, but I think she just said that so she won't have to listen to me whine for the next 15 years about something I didn't get. Plus I think wifes seem to use this kind of stuff for future leverage and I know I will hear about again. And again. and again......

So I avoid the temptation to dip into the HELOC and buy everything I want. I figure I might be able to come up with enough to get one more indulgence.

But what?

I've wound up with kind of an odd short list. I know there are many that I will remember after 10-1, but these are what I think of now and it's kind of based on what I can get before the 1st.

AK-74; I'm not really sure why this one keeps popping up in my mind. I guess I kind of see it as a more modern AK-47. It shots cheap surplus ammo, but if our fuhrer has his way, the imported surplus ammo will go away and the cost to shoot will go up.

PTR; I've always admired German firearms. The H&K was one those that were just too cool and way too expensive. Then I found the PTR H&K clone and found it is reasonably priced. It shoots 308 and will satisfy my long range Jones. But accessories are expensive, ammo is expensive and I already have a M1A.

Thompson 1928; Of course I want a real one. It's the baddest of the bad. Yes there are lots better autos but this one is the icon of icons. From the streets of Chicago to the shores of Normandy, this one has worn the black hat and the white hat. It's cool second to none.

It's also 30K so that's not going to happen. If I came home with one of these my wife would shove it so far up my lower intestinal tract that I would choke on it. So all I'm left with is an Auto Ordnance semi-auto copy. It's cool, but it's wall art. It's just one of the ones I've wanted since I was a kid.

I know we're all in the same boat. How do you narrow down the list? If I have 3 or 4 grand I'd have them all. But I have to be reasonable. What do I do? :banghead:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    My vote would be PTR91... specifically the GI model.

Lots of discussion & info about them here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=130332

If you go this route, buy mags, fast. You can still get them shipped in time... Cheaper than Dirt and Keepshooting both have them for $3.95 or so. I've seen them at Chantilly for 5 times as much each, or more.

http://www.keepshooting.com/h-k-g3-20-round-magazine-aluminum.html
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MAG-304
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MAG-303

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    I got one of the MD only PTR-91's from One Source Tactical. It was the cheapest route (platform wise) at this point to satisfy my .30 cal semi auto itch.

But since you already have an M1A, I'd say go Thompson. I shot a full auto tommy gun at select fire, and it was fun. Left a mark on my shoulder from the steel butt plate. Also climbed like a SOB in full auto, but some of that may have been my lack of experience. Either way, I'd love to have a .45 ACP pistol caliber carbine. HK is discontinuing the UMP45, so that's out for me. Olympic has a .45 AR, but it's Olympic, so I'm a little wary. Beretta has the Storm carbine in .45, but since I'm such a Beretta guy, I'd rather buy a Storm in 9mm to share mags with my pistols. Point is, there aren't too many .45ACP pistol caliber carbines out there. The Thompson clones are a good, albeit heavy option. And if you want one, time is running out.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You can buy flats for the 74 & PTR. The PTR is more work to make than an AK (which is aldready quite a bit more work than an AR) but not impossible. All Im saying is if you buy one, you could buy a receiver for the other to keep for a rainy day.

I have a 74 & picked up my PTR91SC Tues so haven't shot that yet. The 74 is neat. Shoots cheap ammo. IMO, US production would pick up the slack if banned but it would cost similar to .223 then. Low recoil. I have a 5.45 AR upper that shoot same ammo.

The PTR is somewhat complicated and very german. Thats cool to me. Can get cheap plastic training ammo and .22 conversion kits if you just want to plink. FWIW, I bought the 91SC version because it has the scope rail already welded on it.

If I had to buy one and build the other, I'd get the PTR and buy an AK flat (or finished Nodak rdcr.) Simpler build.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    If you already have an AK47, I'd get the PTR. It is a totally different platform than your M1A, while the '74' is going to look/feel just like a '47', except with slightly less recoil.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    pick up an ak-builder flat for an ak-74, and come to my house to get it bent so that it's a receiver and in before the ban. then get your PTR paid for.

later on down the road, pick up a '74 parts kit, and come over and build it on your receiver. :)

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    You can get a AK flat and bend it before 10/1, of if you don't think you'll be able to do that, you can buy a 100% AK receiver with a serial number for under $100. Then buy the PTR now and build out the AK later.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    So how about this.

Get the AK74 flat, and spend the add'l 600 bucks you would have spent on the rest of the rifle and buy up a snotnose of surplus ammo. That way you are assured to have some to shoot. Some American company will fill the void but in the mean time you can have your fun and eat it too.

I am looking for another tin of ammo for this very reason.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

Attachments

• IMAG0796_mp5_resize.jpg
      IMAG0796_mp5_resize.jpg
      65.8 KB · Views: 303
    • IMAG0795_hk91.jpg
      IMAG0795_hk91.jpg
      35.4 KB · Views: 228