• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Did you ever see the Chappelle's Show skit about "When Keepin' It Real Goes Too Far?":sad20:

The thread has been sanitized (twice?) but if you have an hour or so to kill...:innocent0

I think P5 and Outrider witnessed some of it; they certainly are more informed than I am. I only looked at the thread because my wife (who is not terribly active on here) asked if I had seen the fireworks.

I was going to give you the bottom line...but I think it is best not brought up and rehashed elsewhere:o...just take the journey yourself through the 48 pages.

Nope. Both times it happened after beddy-by time. I go to bed, everything's hunky-dory. I wake up in the morning to learn all hell's broken loose and Norton is standing there with a mop and a bucket. :shrug:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Did you ever see the Chappelle's Show skit about "When Keepin' It Real Goes Too Far?":sad20:

The thread has been sanitized (twice?) but if you have an hour or so to kill...:innocent0

I think P5 and Outrider witnessed some of it; they certainly are more informed than I am. I only looked at the thread because my wife (who is not terribly active on here) asked if I had seen the fireworks.

I was going to give you the bottom line...but I think it is best not brought up and rehashed elsewhere:o...just take the journey yourself through the 48 pages.
    I saw the whole thing in real time. Dumpster fire doesn't begin to describe it. I'm really glad it's over and done with. I have even more respect for Norton than ever before. His interventionist posts were completely spot on.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    So as a newbie, I'm kind of insulted. I have noticed that since joining, I almost feel compelled to watch how many posts I've made. I have read other threads (lurkers make thy selves known) and it has made me think "wow, these guys have been on here a long time and haven't posted as much as I have. It makes me feel like I'm posting too much. I don't want to have to explain myself, I post when I think I can add to a thread or just poke fun.(and yes, I'm guilty of the "this" and thumbs ups) I've messaged a few folks on here and have nothing but great things to say about any of them. I'm so new to all this that I don't understand most of what you guys talk about and find myself going back to the Acronym list to figure it out. That doesn't t make me a poser or a wanna be, just new. Change the rules however you seem fit, I'm just here for the ride.

The post count/join date is a tricky thing. On one hand, it is a great tool to spot those who have no interest in being a contributing part of the community and are just trying to run up their count to sell something or stir up trouble for...any variety of nefarious reasons.

On the other hand, it seems like sometimes members use their stats like a "lumber number" to whip out and compare, or to suggest that their comments have more value than those of a noob. It doesn't seem to have been happening too much recently, but sometimes I still feel like there are undertones.

I definitely agree that classifieds and WC access are privileges that should be earned. Maybe instead of displaying post counts and join dates, we should be "junior members" (or "provisional," whatever) until we get to 50? I dunno :shrug: Fortunately, it's not my job to figure it out :D

As to the :thumbsup: and "This^^^" posts...personally, I don't believe they are without value, if done right. Certainly for now, as a provisional member ;) you will be under scrutiny and it may appear that you are just trying to fluff your way to 50. Once you reach that magic number there would be no reason to artificially inflate your post count. If you see a post that you really agree with or that maybe opens your eyes to something you hadn't thought of, give 'em the 'ol :thumbsup: Especially if it is a post that gets lost among all the other nonsense and nobody else has commented on it, it may make the poster feel validated (or at least not ignored).

Sometimes I wish there was a "like" button for posts. I would use the dickens out of it, instead of :party29: But, I can see how that could turn into a popularity contest too :rolleyes:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Nope. Both times it happened after beddy-by time. I go to bed, everything's hunky-dory. I wake up in the morning to learn all hell's broken loose and Norton is standing there with a mop and a bucket. :shrug:

Oh...well then I guess you aren't as useful to me as I thought :rasp:

I saw the whole thing in real time. Dumpster fire doesn't begin to describe it. I'm really glad it's over and done with. I have even more respect for Norton than ever before. His interventionist posts were completely spot on.

I only saw the aftermath, but I absolutely agree. I can tell he was quite busy...the dumpster still felt warm when I peeked in.

I suspect tensions have been high because of what's been going on in Annapolis and all over the news, and this was catharsis?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So as a newbie, I'm kind of insulted. I have noticed that since joining, I almost feel compelled to watch how many posts I've made. I have read other threads (lurkers make thy selves known) and it has made me think "wow, these guys have been on here a long time and haven't posted as much as I have. It makes me feel like I'm posting too much. I don't want to have to explain myself, I post when I think I can add to a thread or just poke fun.(and yes, I'm guilty of the "this" and thumbs ups) I've messaged a few folks on here and have nothing but great things to say about any of them. I'm so new to all this that I don't understand most of what you guys talk about and find myself going back to the Acronym list to figure it out. That doesn't t make me a poser or a wanna be, just new. Change the rules however you seem fit, I'm just here for the ride.

I have never worried nor cared about my post count (some will argue that, but they be wrong) and I have never worried about anyone else's. When you can add to a conversation, dive on in. Some folks are content to mostly just read. Nothing wrong with that at all. Sometimes I'm struck by what moves a person to comment on something who has been here a long time, yet has a very low post count. It's all good though.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Pops had a little face plant earlier today and got bumped up. CT scan, patch up a boo-boo, tetanus shot and hopefully we're done. He'll be 85 next week.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It's called "Tachy goes to Coventry".

It basically makes them a ghost.

Only used it once here in 13 years and it was epic for the site staff to watch the poor fool elevate his rhetoric in an effort to elicit a response, yet no one could actually see it other than the staff. He kept upping the ante day by day, yet couldn't figure out that he was the only other one who could see it.

I laughed, I cried, I cleaned a 1911, I drank Arrogant Bastard......2:

I'm just reading this thread. This is what you were referring to when you said that you have other tools to deal with troublemakers, lol. That's beautiful ... like Geneva convention banned psychological warfare beautiful. What does a troll do without their audience, lol. He must have been shrieking mad near the end. Too funny.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Forget post counts, I like what I found on another forum, completely unrelated to firearms. Not only a 50 post requirement, but 6 months membership as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Opps , still do also , sorry for confusion . I'll have to pack a 1911 for next OC occasion .

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    That's simply no relevant to this user's circumstances and I'm sorry that you can't see that he/she/it was running script that we've been seeing here for more than 10 years now; that being the "let's find a reasonable compromise".

We see it time and time again, and it's a known tactic of "them" to come on to a gun community and proselytize about being "reasonable" when the truth is that they are deliberately trying to undermine us.

Think what you want, but you're dead wrong.

And it's been going on for more than 10 years in various guises, just like the current AR15 frenzy is just another nickel-and-dime your rights away attempt which began with "Saturday Night Specials".

Hell, on the "let's be reasonable" ploy, I remember one leftist pol in the 80's even saying "let's experiment" like, "yeah, it's okay, we'll just take away your rights and then if it doesn't work out we'll give them back, trust us".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom