• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Cool! I caution you to not bury that counterpoise. It's equivalent to 1 radial, coupled to ground, and that will actually hurt your performance. If you must bury, go with multiple wires, different lengths, as radials. But if you're not restricted, some 18AWG poly stealth is practically invisible in trees. Also, stick with wire lengths that won't resonate on any of the HF ham bands. One ham calcuated that the following end fed wire lengths work well: 29' 35.5' 41' 58'

Thanks. I could maybe wrap the counterpoise around the tree and put the UNUN up a little higher.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Thanks. I could maybe wrap the counterpoise around the tree and put the UNUN up a little higher.

Yeah, if you run the counterpoise around the perimeter, along the ends of the branches, that will work. If you wrap the counterpoise around the tree trunk, you'll create a coil, and totally mess with the reactance and impedance of the feedpoint. Don't ask me how I know. :innocent0 :D

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Yeah, if you run the counterpoise around the perimeter, along the ends of the branches, that will work. If you wrap the counterpoise around the tree trunk, you'll create a coil, and totally mess with the reactance and impedance of the feedpoint. Don't ask me how I know. :innocent0 :D
    Your giving me an idea. How about multiple counterpoise wires out the lower branches?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Your giving me an idea. How about multiple counterpoise wires out the lower branches?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That will work as well. Your radiation patterns will change because this is now a ground plane, so your take-off angle towards the ionosphere will be flatter. A ground plane above the ground performs better than one that is buried, so bonus.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    That will work as well. Your radiation patterns will change because this is now a ground plane, so your take-off angle towards the ionosphere will be flatter. A ground plane above the ground performs better than one that is buried, so bonus.

Well there you go. If you stop and think about it; eventually the brain kicks in.

Thanks

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Tri-band HT coming up on Amazon lightning deals at 10:05am today:

BTECH UV-5X3 5 Watt Tri-Band Radio: 130-179.99mhz (VHF), 220-225.99mhz (1.25M), 400-520.99mhz (UHF) Amateur (Ham)

Can't see the price yet.

There' not too much action on 220 even on repeaters that have it in my experience. But if you've always want to know what you were missing, here's your chance to do it cheap. Maybe.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Good work on that loop! It's remarkable how effective they are. I own an AlexLoop and have been amazed how effective it's been on 40-10 using QRP.

I'm playing with an end fed wire and 9:1 Unun. I was able to string up 41' of wire and worked Azores on 17m no problem. I just purchased 250' of poly-stealth and want to shop for a drone to deploy it in an inverted L. Combined with a folded counterpoise, I should be able to work effectively on 160 on up.

Thanks... missed comments on this thread for a while.

I have had some bad luck with my loops. Being that we live in shared apartment/condo buildings here in Seoul, it seems that they easily throw a boatload of RF downward, and get into the cheap computer speakers and boom boxes that are from China. Had this problem with 2 different loops at 2 locations, despite chokes on feedline, etc. It's just a lot of RF power being thrown out in a small space, and gets into stuff. Oddly, I have the same problem with vertical dipoles.

I'm going to go back to homebrew yagis and horiz dipoles.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    Tri-band HT coming up on Amazon lightning deals at 10:05am today:

Can't see the price yet.

There' not too much action on 220 even on repeaters that have it in my experience. But if you've always want to know what you were missing, here's your chance to do it cheap. Maybe.

I have been staying away from these radios, but for $45 I'll give it a try. I got free shipping too. Thanks for the heads up.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    K31, thanks for the heads up.

I'm not pulling the trigger for one. Saving up to get something with more power to have in the vehicles.

Thinking of rigging up some sort of battery power supply that charges off a lighter and provides high power for transmitting... trying to aviod over loading the lighter socket, special dedicated wiring, and allows it to be easily transferable between vehicles... including rentals.

So much to do, so little time and funds.

Sent using the user limitations inherent of mobile devices.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I'm playing with an end fed wire and 9:1 Unun. I was able to string up 41' of wire and worked Azores on 17m no problem. I just purchased 250' of poly-stealth and want to shop for a drone to deploy it in an inverted L. Combined with a folded counterpoise, I should be able to work effectively on 160 on up.

I got 124.5' of wire up over a tree top using my drone. And along with the Balun Designs 9:1 balun mounted to my shed, and 31' of counterpoise strung in a small tree, I've been doing well on all bands, 160 on up. My most recent confirmed contacts that are typically places I cannot QSO with on 20m and 17m on FT8 have been to Turkey, Kosovo, Israel, Sri Lanka, Serbia, Estonia, and Macedonia using 90w. I'm pleasantly surprised.

balun1.jpg

PSKReporter.info allows you to see who is hearing you, if they are using WSJT-X / FT8 and reporting your signal to PSKReporter.info:

newbalun20m.JPG

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    I got 124.5' of wire up over a tree top using my drone. And along with the Balun Designs 9:1 balun mounted to my shed, and 31' of counterpoise strung in a small tree, I've been doing well on all bands, 160 on up. My most recent confirmed contacts that are typically places I cannot QSO with on 20m and 17m on FT8 have been to Turkey, Kosovo, Israel, Sri Lanka, Serbia, Estonia, and Macedonia using 90w. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Amateur Radio has always fascinated me but I never took the leap. Question however, if you are reaching Turkey, Kosovo, Serbia, etc. etc. etc. doesn't language differences become a big issue?

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Amateur Radio has always fascinated me but I never took the leap. Question however, if you are reaching Turkey, Kosovo, Serbia, etc. etc. etc. doesn't language differences become a big issue?

Usually, when working stations overseas, minimal information is exchanged. Location, name, signal report, and that's about it - so we all default to English. Typically there are dozens, if not more, people in the US trying to reach them all at the same time in order to win an award for working so many foreign contacts. So, the foreign station likes to work as many as possible. They can get awards for states, counties, grid squares, etc, by working as many US folks as possible. The mode I was using is digital, so the computer generates tones, that I transmit with my radio, by connecting the sound card to the microphone jack. All the data is passed back and forth digitally and decoded on the computer, which is pretty neat. It takes a lot more work to use voice or morse code. But, all those modes are super fun!

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Usually, when working stations overseas, minimal information is exchanged. Location, name, signal report, and that's about it - so we all default to English. Typically there are dozens, if not more, people in the US trying to reach them all at the same time in order to win an award for working so many foreign contacts. So, the foreign station likes to work as many as possible. They can get awards for states, counties, grid squares, etc, by working as many US folks as possible. The mode I was using is digital, so the computer generates tones, that I transmit with my radio, by connecting the sound card to the microphone jack. All the data is passed back and forth digitally and decoded on the computer, which is pretty neat. It takes a lot more work to use voice or morse code. But, all those modes are super fun!

Wow, now you really lost me! I always thought Ham was mostly communicating via voice. Never heard of an award system or what would even be enticing about that. Talking and getting to know someone in Israel, Poland or some other foreign country.....now that sounds like fun.

Obviously I don't have a clue about Amateur radio. Any suggestions where to become educated so I can figure out if it's for me?

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Wow, now you really lost me! I always thought Ham was mostly communicating via voice. Never heard of an award system or what would even be enticing about that. Talking and getting to know someone in Israel, Poland or some other foreign country.....now that sounds like fun.

Obviously I don't have a clue about Amateur radio. Any suggestions where to become educated so I can figure out if it's for me?

Local clubs usually have training (free) followed by testing (free) to get FCC license.

Start here:http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I built this dipole antenna following instructions I found on the web. Haven't tested it out yet, but it does receive.

Attachments

• ant02.jpg
      ant02.jpg
      133.9 KB · Views: 187
    • ant03.jpg
      ant03.jpg
      104.5 KB · Views: 224

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    K31, thanks for the heads up.

I'm not pulling the trigger for one. Saving up to get something with more power to have in the vehicles.

Thinking of rigging up some sort of battery power supply that charges off a lighter and provides high power for transmitting... trying to aviod over loading the lighter socket, special dedicated wiring, and allows it to be easily transferable between vehicles... including rentals.

So much to do, so little time and funds.

Sent using the user limitations inherent of mobile devices.

I think that a would still run wire directly from the car batteries with inline ATO type fuses and terminate the wires in Andersen Power Poles. Terminate the pig tail from the radio in Power Poles as well. That way you can move the radio from car to car easily and have a connection rated at 15A at least. A good battery is going to cost more, I think, and then you are going to want a battery saver device to keep the second battery from draining the car battery down to where the car won't start.

You can start on one car and then add it to the other at a later time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom