• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RRP II

Jan 5, 2011
    Maryland
    I have a very early 1911 that I am trying to ID the inspectors mark which is a K on the rear trigger guard. It has a VP proof mark in a triangle at the left front of the trigger guard. I've search all the internet sights related to 1911 pistols and can't find the inspector mark this pistol has. The pistol has a three digit (C5XX) serial number. Any information on this inspectors mark would be appreciated.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I believe most of the single letter marks you find on the trigger guard have not been identified to an individual. Those marks are put there at different stages of the production process. Check out www.coolgunsite.com and click on the ID Pages tab for details. The Markings section is what you want to read.

Jul 1, 2012
    For the Colt 1905 Military "K" has been associated with assembler George Donovan
    (source: Patocki's "The Colt Model 1905 Automatic Pistol" book, he has a list of several of inspectors & assemblers).
    Since this is such an early 1911 (and you're teasing us with it) that may be true for this 1911 as well.

On the Colt's often a "K" will be stamped on the right front or rear trigger guard indicating inspection after a factory repair/rework.
    Whether that's Donovan or another inspector, can't say.

edit: as you've probably discovered, Poyer doesn't list "K" for the 1911.
    Could it be and "R" by any chance?

RRP II

Jan 5, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks for the informative reply. It is a very clear and sharp letter K. This was my great uncle’s 1911 who was in the Massachusetts National Guard during WWI. The pistol has no rust or pitting anywhere.

Jul 1, 2012
    Oh man, that is awesome sauce!
    Those early high-polish guns are really beautiful.

I would venture to guess it's the same guy (Donovan) that was inspecting the later Colt 1905's, the last of which were made in that time frame.
    There may be another inspector/assembler mark on top of the frame next to the disconnector hole.

RRP II

Jan 5, 2011
    Maryland
    I will look for the other inspectors mark. You are correct, the high polish is beautiful. Most of the finish ware looks like holster ware and grip ware. I really appreciate your good input as I want to find out as much as possible this beautiful pistol that is in exceptional condition.

Jul 1, 2012
    I'd contact Sam, he's "#1" :)
    I'm sure he'd be interested to hear the history of the pistol as well.

I use Renaissance Wax on the hi-polish Colts vice oil to bring out the shine (DO NOT use car wax).
    The finish is pretty fragile and even the acids in fingerprints can cause rust issues.
    I break out my white cotton gloves when handling 'em.

Jul 1, 2012
    Here's a close-up of the "K" on a 1905 Military.
    It's in the cut for the slide rail so it's pretty small.
    Looks to be the same font as the one on your trigger guard.

Attachments

• DSC_3948.JPG
      DSC_3948.JPG
      70.6 KB · Views: 114

RRP II

Jan 5, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks guys, I hope to keep it in the family for the next hundred years. Which is why I want to document as much as possible about the pistols history.

Have you contacted Colt yet? I paid $100 for a certificate saying when my 1918 "Black Army" was shipped out and where it went. It doesn't give you any more info but it adds to the value, if you ever sell it. Mine went to Benicia Arsenal, CA, US Cavalry in 1918. Nice looking frame-able piece of paper also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom