• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Kind of wish I took off sick today to go hunting (deer fever, boss). Glad I didn’t. I telework on Monday’s and my wife got a call at 3:30 right before the kids were going to get home from school that she had to do Scouts with the youngest. She had completely forgotten!

That would have been a damned mess if I hadn’t tagged out earlier in the day. Me in a stand, 2 miles from home. No chance of being home in time without leaving all my crap in the park and hoofing it (it’s almost half a mile from where I like to setup and the parking lot).

Oh well. No chance of getting out the last couple of days. Good job this year to all who connected. Time to start thinking of spring turkey.

You can always call your buddy down the road with a pickup truck to come and help you get your rear back home so your wife can go to Daisies. I would most likely be home and able to help.

I saw 4 turkeys come out in the field on the farm I was goose hunting last Monday. Gobbler was strutting in front of 3 hens. Don't have permission to turkey hunt on this field though, because the deer hunter there likes to turkey hunt and he is more connected with the owner than I am. So, probably going to hunt 30 acres of woods up in Smithsburg come turkey season.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    How is hunting in Nevada?

I didn't hunt Nevada this year because I missed the tag draw deadline (didn't get military orders in time to apply as a resident). Will apply for elk and mule deer this year but not optimistic due to no preference points. Neighbor got a really nice bull elk in northern Nevada. Also considering a DIY elk hunt in Utah or Colorado as they offer over the counter tags.

My deer season was a week in Oklahoma and a few days in Texas...ended up with 5 does. I don't miss living in Maryland but I do miss the archery season length, Region B bag limits, and ability to hunt almost every weekend of the season. Also miss the abundance of public land hunting in Maryland.

For anyone interested, Oklahoma lets active duty military buy resident hunting licenses whether you're stationed there or not. Season limit is 6 whitetails (2 bucks, 4 does) but each tag costs $20.00. Texas gives active duty military residents a Super Combo hunting/fishing license for free. Bag limits vary by county but you don't have to pay for individual tags.

Congrats to all who put venison in the freezer this season and good luck to those who still have 2 days of season left!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You can always call your buddy down the road with a pickup truck to come and help you get your rear back home so your wife can go to Daisies. I would most likely be home and able to help.

I saw 4 turkeys come out in the field on the farm I was goose hunting last Monday. Gobbler was strutting in front of 3 hens. Don't have permission to turkey hunt on this field though, because the deer hunter there likes to turkey hunt and he is more connected with the owner than I am. So, probably going to hunt 30 acres of woods up in Smithsburg come turkey season.

Yeah, I probably would have figured it out :-)

Patuxent was barren when I tried it for turkey last week. Not even much in the way of squirrels.

I’ll rest up and warmup waiting for spring turkey.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have put five away in the freezer with a Crossbow this year. Hoping to get at least one more before it’s finished. Guess I need to get a photo account so I can share pictures. Sitting in a blind as I post this!

Edit: figured it out I think....

Very nice piebald.

Congrats!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have yet to see one out west here. The only place Ive seen them was in MD...

It's a genetic thing, so unless somehow the gene is out in your area, it's going to almost impossible for them to be there. Gotta wait for a mutated gene to show up and then it will take awhile. A piebald mating to a normal is not guaranteed piebald outcome. Only way to guarantee piebald offspring is to somehow have a male and female piebald mate and have a successful outcome.

That's why they are so rare.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    It's a genetic thing, so unless somehow the gene is out in your area, it's going to almost impossible for them to be there. Gotta wait for a mutated gene to show up and then it will take awhile. A piebald mating to a normal is not guaranteed piebald outcome. Only way to guarantee piebald offspring is to somehow have a male and female piebald mate and have a successful outcome.

That's why they are so rare.

MD has tons...must be something in the water ;)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Piebald, like albinos, are a result of first cousins marrying first cousins. High deer densities.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Here you go,

Attachments

• ~Bow season.JPG
      ~Bow season.JPG
      28 KB · Views: 137

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Well, I guess this thread is done. How long to next season? That trailcam thread is ready to rollover too.

I can bump this thread.

A deer had a choice to make. Her two buddies made it across in front of me.

She chose wisely.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Just a question for the hunters that filled a tag or two this year. Did you donate any venison to that program that helps feed the less fortunate? I'm not judging anyone, I'm just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom