none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD

Definition of regulate
    regulated; regulating
    transitive verb
    1 a : to govern or direct according to rule
    b (1) : to bring under the control of law or constituted authority (2) : to make regulations for or concerning regulate the industries of a country
    2 : to bring order, method, or uniformity to regulate one's habits
    3 : to fix or adjust the time, amount, degree, or rate of regulate the pressure of a tire
    — regulative play \ˈre-gyə-ˌlā-tiv also ˈrā-\ adjective
    — regulatory play \ˈre-gyə-lə-ˌtȯr-ē also ˈrā-\ adjective

How about #2 sparky, I mean Snarky.

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    I'm not sure why the lefties think that their definition of regulated means the government should regulate the militia even if it meant what they want it to. The founders were against most government regulation and for self regulation.

Where is it written that regulation of a militia would fall to the government? Surely there would be a law written stating what government entity was responsible for this regulation of the militia, it's budget and how it would be funded. Since that doesn't exist self regulation is the only option if that's the definition the left wants to use.

During times of peace when the standing military was tiny and the militia was the major fighting force for the countries defense there would be some kind of record of how the militia was regulated, rules of regulation, requirements of militiamen, etc.. Was there a government military official regulating the militia? Was there some type of "local guy" that represented the government in each town that regulated the militia? Who did he report to? Where are the records of these regulators, who they reported to, standards required, how the militia was performing and recommendations?

In order to be regulated in the false definition used by the left there would have to be regulations, ya'know rules written down, who was doing it and how. They don't exist, it didn't happen, therefore that's not what the founders intended. If it was what they intended and it happened there would be records. If the practice stopped we would know when and why it stopped. If it didn't stop then I need to meet whoever the pluck is supposed to be regulating me.

Stop focusing on their argument. It gives you tunnel vision. They know it means what we say it means. They are just trying to pick apart what they can to further their agenda.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Definition of regulate
    regulated; regulating
    transitive verb
    b (1) : to bring under the control of law or constituted authority (2) : to make regulations for or concerning regulate the industries of a country
    3 : to fix or adjust the time, amount, degree, or rate of regulate the pressure of a tire

There are several others on this forum who are not much different than Woodstock. They have delusions of grandeur. They seem to think that playing some kind of devil's advocate is admirable, or they really believe the utter ******** they post.

Last edited:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    In District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), the Supreme Court undertook its first-ever "in-depth examination" of the second amendment's meaning Id. at 635. After a lengthy historical discussion, the Court ultimately concluded that the second amendment "guarantee the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation" (id. at 592); that "central to" this right is "the inherent right of self-defense"(id. at 628); that "the home" is "where the need for defense of self, family, and property is most acute" (id. at 628...

The Official definition of the 2A. No other definition matters.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    To get the correct definition of "regulate", you first have to find the definition of "militia". In that, you'll find that 'government control of a militia is an oxymoron'.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Definition of regulate
    regulated; regulating
    transitive verb

Personally could care less what a dozen different answers "regulated" militia means. OP lives in a lot of minds here rent free.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    Where is it written that regulation of a militia would fall to the government? Surely there would be a law written stating what government entity was responsible for this regulation of the militia, it's budget and how it would be funded. Since that doesn't exist self regulation is the only option if that's the definition the left wants to use.

During times of peace when the standing military was tiny and the militia was the major fighting force for the countries defense there would be some kind of record of how the militia was regulated, rules of regulation, requirements of militiamen, etc.. Was there a government military official regulating the militia? Was there some type of "local guy" that represented the government in each town that regulated the militia? Who did he report to? Where are the records of these regulators, who they reported to, standards required, how the militia was performing and recommendations?

During the drafting and adoption of the Constitution, the shifting of control of states' militias went to the federal congress. So in short, the US Constitution gives Congress the power to raise a standing army.

A specific answer to the above questions are found in Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution. These codified changes allow the Congress to provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States by doing the following:

+raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

+provide and maintain a navy;

+make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;

+provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

+provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress.

Also detailed in Article VI of the Articles of Confederation (This occurred in 1777 shortly after the Declaration of Independence and sets up aspects of the US Constitution) and states :

“No vessel of war shall be kept up in time of peace by any State, except such number only, as shall be deemed necessary by the united States in congress assembled, for the defense of such State, or its trade; nor shall any body of forces be kept up by any State in time of peace, except such number only, as in the judgement of the united States, in congress assembled, shall be deemed requisite to garrison the forts necessary for the defense of such State; but every State shall always keep up a well-regulated and disciplined militia, sufficiently armed and accoutered, and shall provide and constantly have ready for use, in public stores, a due number of field pieces and tents, and a proper quantity of arms, ammunition and camp equipage.”

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    No worries, he only instructed liberals. :lol2:

NAILED IT!

you have no idea why i came up with this thread continuation. i risked being banned forever, here, because i wanted information to counter the narrative of what and who i encounter on a daily basis.

apologies to my fellow shooting friends, and those who say they have no idea why i flipped. i didn't.

i invite anyone on these boards to my office, and you'll see, i am not what the impression is on the internet. i'd really like to meet clandestine, as i have some AR questions and he has been endorsed by a friend of mine. :beer: even tho i run an AK reliably, another platform could be appreciated.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    NAILED IT!

you have no idea why i came up with this thread continuation. i risked being banned forever, here, because i wanted information to counter the narrative of what and who i encounter on a daily basis.

apologies to my fellow shooting friends, and those who say they have no idea why i flipped. i didn't.

i invite anyone on these boards to my office, and you'll see, i am not what the impression is on the internet. i'd really like to meet clandestine, as i have some AR questions and he has been endorsed by a friend of mine. :beer: even tho i run an AK reliably, another platform could be appreciated.

Woodstock, then why did you wait until post #129 to clarify? Why didn't you ask the question that way initially? Are we part of some high-risk, get-yourself-banned sociology experiment?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    NAILED IT!

Nope. Suck it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    NAILED IT!

Nope. Suck it.

^^^What he said^^^

FU bird, find another forum to troll.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    NAILED IT!...i wanted information to counter the narrative of what and who i encounter on a daily basis.

gVD08CE.gif

Seems legit. :sarcasm:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    IMO I don’t believe the question was asked to enlighten anyone or get honest discussion

But I always learn something from your posts so thank you

I've been following your posts since I joined here. :thumbsup:

As per the origin of the "Bill of Rights", as you, I, and many of us here know, it was a promise made by the Federalists to the Anti-Federalists that feared the power of a central government and its capacity for tyranny. While Federalists thought the Constitution limited the power of government and the natural rights of the people were obvious, they knew they needed the Anti-Federalists support in order to get the states to ratify the Constitution. Good thing that the Anti-Federalists held out, seeking to clarify both the natural rights and protections that the citizenry would have (the first ten amendments is not a list of state rights - or "rights" of the federal government - the powers of the federal government were outlined in the pre-amendment Constitution itself - it was added to protect the rights of the people). All of this basic history is of course easily found on the internet and didn't require a thread vs a Google search.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    NAILED IT!

Nope. Suck it.

hqdefault.jpg

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    So Woodstock starts a fire, drives around the block, and returns to put out the fire while declaring he is a hero?

I know this is all above my pay grade...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom