• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    My parents came into town this weekend from California. My dad has an extensive collection of military rifles, and he decided to pass one of them down to me as an early Christmas present. It is a Winchester M1897 Trenchgun. Below is a pic of my U.S. rifle collection so far. I'm no where near done but I cannot seem to stop.

Attachments

• IMG_0588.jpg
      IMG_0588.jpg
      102.5 KB · Views: 770

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    Thats a hell of a Christmas present! Is it all correct?

No, it has definately been through a rebuild at some point. The ventilated handguard is not correct for the date it was made, and it was parkerized which is not original either.

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    Great collection, what are the details about the 03?

The '03 is a Mark 1 that I stumbled upon at Anglers right off of Rt 50 just before the Bay Bridge. It has all the correct Mk 1 parts to include stock, trigger pawl, magazine cut off switch, and J5 stamped bolt. I think I sent you a link to a thread I started on it in a PM we had going a month or so ago.

Not to bad for just happening upon it...especially when I went into Anglers just to look for fishing stuff.

The Krag is from the same the collection as the '03 and was purchased at Anglers as well.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The '03 is a Mark 1 that I stumbled upon at Anglers right off of Rt 50 just before the Bay Bridge. It has all the correct Mk 1 parts to include stock, trigger pawl, magazine cut off switch, and J5 stamped bolt. I think I sent you a link to a thread I started on it in a PM we had going a month or so ago.

Not to bad for just happening upon it...especially when I went into Anglers just to look for fishing stuff.

The Krag is from the same the collection as the '03 and was purchased at Anglers as well.

Rather be lucky than good! Let's hope the seller didn't know that it also had the unobtanium bits specific to the MKI/Pederson device. That would have really boosted the value!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Sweet. My dad has a nice Krag, it's a great shooter and has by FAR the smoothest action I've ever felt.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Sweet. My dad has a nice Krag, it's a great shooter and has by FAR the smoothest action I've ever felt.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

The upside to a single lug bolt. On the opposite side of the coin it's also the biggest detraction to the Krag. One lug means no high power cartridges like 30-06. For me it's been a tie between the Krag and my Ross Commercial MKII and MKIII rifles for smoothness. Can't lose with either one.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My parents came into town this weekend from California. My dad has an extensive collection of military rifles, and he decided to pass one of them down to me as an early Christmas present. It is a Winchester M1897 Trenchgun. Below is a pic of my U.S. rifle collection so far. I'm no where near done but I cannot seem to stop.

Now you have a US long arm collection :D Too bad you can't get the M-16 or M-4 variants now :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom