Have an opportunity to make a trade from a Springfield 1903-A3 but don't know rifles

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It doesn't look like a drill rifle rebuild, so that's a plus.

It's a GI barrel, but with the finish polished off. I don't see how he thought polishing the finish off would make it more accurate for competition use. Front sight band looks like it has been set back a little further than it should be. Maybe the key has been modified. It should sit flush with that step you see on the muzzle.

The sling looks like a repro. The geometry of the metal hooks and the rivets look off. The hooks also look painted, not parkerized like they should be.

The stock looks like it fits the barrel properly at the front. Sometimes the nose of the stock no longer contacts the barrel due to warping or bubba trying to free float the barrel. The OG stamp means it went through the Army depot in Ogden, UT for rebuild after WWII.

I say go for the trade. It's definitely worth more than the $400-450 you wanted for the camera.

Edit: Missed the part where you said you did the trade.

Last edited:

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    When it was re-barreled, it came with no finish.
    On the strap, it looked to nice and clean and perfect to be original. Even if it was NOS, it would have shown age.
    Looking at the wood, the piece on top of the barrel doesn't match the rest, it's too clean and looks lighter. So I'm guessing it was replaced when re-barreled.
    On the butt plate, I'll have to take a better pic, I didn't realize it was out of focus till I was about to post them.

All in all, a nice piece of history.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The barrel is rebuild depot stock that was more than likely sold off outside of arsenal at a later time. Sometimes barrels can be found in greasy wrap that are in the white. HS most particularly. The sling, if not original is a good repo, earlier ones had heavy brass hooks and the later ones were steel, it has oval holes and the keepers are stitched. The handgaurd looks like a reproduction to me as well but dont know for sure. The Foresight has more than likely been moved backed and a larger hole drilled where it is pinned because the old pin was damaged or lost during the barrel swap so the band would be tight.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The handguard may well have been an unissued one. You can still find unissued A3 handguards and WWII replacement 03 handguards for very cheap.

I thought all Remington replacement barrels were parkerized and had the front sight bases installed prior to being stored away in the grease? I know the HS barrels came in the white.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I bought up a bunch of SA greasy wrap barrels years ago before a lot of drill rifles flooded the market and never had the fortune of getting one in the white. On the same side of the coin I never opened a HS barrel that wasn't black phosphated. The barrel in the picture has a mid 44 date vs the receiver which is about a year earlier. Obviously the barrel that is being depicted has been cobbled together at a later point outside of a rebuild program due to the poor fitting of the front site band and the lack of the parker process. The R8 bolt is also parked vs. being blued as is the top band being further evidence of resourced parts. I have read about and seen examples of in the white A3 barrels in Ackley's book the modern home gunsmith sporterizing military rifles. Unfortunately the subject does not delve into the origin of replacement parts because that is not the topic of the subject matter. Some where else that I cannot reference, maybe Brophy I have also read the later production barrels were not finished towards the end of regular production but were offered as stock to rebuild programs. And then again like was already mentioned someone polished it, but the roll mark looks pretty sharp and I dont think there is a punchmark in the center of the flaming bomb as far as I can tell.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It looks like there is parkerization inside the barrel markings, which is what led me to believe it's had the finish polished off.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I think your right, but I don't understand why some one would polish the barrel but to each his own I guess. Still, not a bad trade and if the chamber is good and the barrel not ringed or heavily pitted would be a good shooter. Thats alot of polishing to remove the barrel finish, I wonder what it looks like under the wood.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I think your right, but I don't understand why some one would polish the barrel but to each his own I guess. Still, not a bad trade and if the chamber is good and the barrel not ringed or heavily pitted would be a good shooter. Thats alot of polishing to remove the barrel finish, I wonder what it looks like under the wood.

Polishing lines lines go perpendicular to the bore axis, so it may have been done on a lathe, maybe even prior to installing the barrel if it's not the original barrel. I guess some people just like that look, just like the polished and jeweled bolts.

The thing to check is if the whole barrel has been polished, or just the visible part.

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Made the trade for a Springfield 1903-A3 - more pics

I took off the upper wood hand guard and the whole barrel is polished.
    I've included more pics that show the barrel.
    Per a previous comment, it may have been done on a lather as shown by the one pic.

There is also a pic of the end of the barrel.
    It's tough to tell, but I think it's a 4 groove barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_3770.jpg
      IMG_3770.jpg
      43.8 KB · Views: 79
    • IMG_3795.jpg
      IMG_3795.jpg
      16.9 KB · Views: 79
    • IMG_3797.jpg
      IMG_3797.jpg
      35.8 KB · Views: 82
    • IMG_3798.jpg
      IMG_3798.jpg
      70.2 KB · Views: 79

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I just downloaded a pdf manual and after I read through I might pull it apart. Does the bottom plate/trigger guard pull off easily and cleanly?
    What are you looking for on the bottom of the receiver? A mark showing its Remington? I saw the cut off has an R

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Pretty self explanatory. You already removed the handguard. The barreled action is held on by the two action screws, one behind the trigger guard and one in front of the magazine.

Remove those carefully with a proper-fitting screwdriver and the barreled action lifts right out.

Nothing will fall off or fly across the room. It's a very sensible design.

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Got around to pulling the rifle apart.
    It's amazing how solid it is but aspects of it are very simple. I guess that's how it was easy to make so many of them soooo quickly!!

Attached is a pic of the marks on the base of the receiver, hope it helps to decode it.

Attachments

• IMG_3810.jpg
      IMG_3810.jpg
      39.7 KB · Views: 64

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    codes don't mean anything. What's important is that there doesn't appear to be any grinding or weld remnants where the barrel screws into the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom