• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I turned one too. I think I hit one of the chains...

I think I hit the other chain (or at least dislodged it) and dropped it.
    We had one other target that was turned and could only see the edge. It took me 6 or so shots but I finally nailed the edge at 531 yards. That might have been more satisfying than hitting at 1200 yards.

MG in MD

Feb 11, 2016
    Linthicum
    I think I hit the other chain (or at least dislodged it) and dropped it.
    We had one other target that was turned and could only see the edge. It took me 6 or so shots but I finally nailed the edge at 531 yards. That might have been more satisfying than hitting at 1200 yards.

Lol. Glad to have set that up for you! I did try to hit it but was not so dedicated...

SevenT6Vet

May 5, 2015
    Richmond, Va
    I promised a review of the class last week, but work has had me swamped, so I'm typing up something quick while at work.

The two day class for $200 should be a crime...it's worth double or triple that. You'll leave with a better understanding of how scopes work, proper body position, and how to hold/grip/wrap around your gun. I was definitely lacking on the last two.

I used a basic Model 700 6mm Rem, and got 1,205 yards on the first shot. The spotter made a perfect wind call, and my adjusted elevated calculations based on previous 14 target data was accurate. As long as your equipment is in good shape, and your ammo is truly match ammo, you'll have no problem getting out that far.

Don't hand load mix-matched brass...that is not match ammo :)

To make the class easier on yourself, I would recommend having a basic understanding of how YOUR scope adjusts. Is it MOA or mil, or a combination of both? If MOA, is it 1/4 or 1/8? This sounds basic, but if you don't understand what these mean, you'll have to take the time to learn them quickly. My Bushnell elite has mil reticle dots and 1/4 MOA windage/elevation, so I had to be clear in my instructions to the spotters as to what to work in.

Also if you hand load, know the brand name of your bullets...or better yet, the G1 and G7 drag coefficients. You'll need to know these in order to come up with a theoretical ballistics chart (which Ed and his crew will do for you if you don't have it already).

Bring a pencil & paper.

I intend to have my wife take a similar class with Ed and I hope to take a next level up class that involves how to read wind.

*edit* It would also be helpful (but not necessary) to know the total MOA adjustment in your scope. If you have a flat base (not 20 moa cant) and only 60 moa total adjustment, you'll be limited on your range. I heavily recommend a 20 moa base. With a 100 yard zero, some of the 308 guys needed over 60 moa of elevation adjustment. Some had to max out elevation, then start using holdover on the reticle. A 60 moa scope on a flat base will only have (approx.) 30 moa of adjustment for elevation.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Group #6, roster as of June 16, commitments as of today:

1- Ruggedtouch - :thumbsup:

2- Rockn93yj - :thumbsup:

3- jmira - :thumbsup:

4- sureshot - :thumbsup:

5- Hunter1 - NO REPLY

6- Josh - NO REPLY

7- Casey Gilbert - Rockn93yj's son - :thumbsup:

8- sundaeman - :thumbsup:

I can do July 23-24.
    I'm good with that too.
    ...I can definitely make it the 23rd and 24th.
    My son can attend the 23rd and 24th as well.
    I can make 23/24 work
    I can make July 23/24 work
    Excellent. We have a 3/4 quorum, therefore:

Group #6 will be July 23 & 24, 2016. I will provide deposit info ASAP.

I will send a private message to the two who did not respond and if still no reply in a day or so, I will advise Pinecone that we can move two people up from the waiting list to take these potential slots.

I am most likely able to do July 23/24. Will confirm this weekend
    Very good, but you are not on Pinecone's latest (June 16) roster at this time and will have to square that with him before we go any further. Please see post #1 of this thread.

For those who were unable to make it into one of these MDS Special Event sessions this time, I regret to say that I cannot do any more of these heavily discounted classes at this time. We may be able to do something next spring, but I cannot know at this time.

Thanks to all who have participated and thanks especially to those who have helped with these classes and thus helped make it possible to do these the way we have: Marc357, Kari, BillPrudden & BrowningGuy :party29:

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    i don't want to waste money on ammo. I'm bringing my new rifle to a gunsmith tomorrow to properly level the scope/reticle.. I guess it doesn't matter as much at my normal distances but here it can make a huge impact being just a little off.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    i don't want to waste money on ammo. I'm bringing my new rifle to a gunsmith tomorrow to properly level the scope/reticle.. I guess it doesn't matter as much at my normal distances but here it can make a huge impact being just a little off.
    Buy a scope leveling kit and do it yourself. Your not really going back to a gunsmith everytime you change something on your rifle are you? Besides, Ed and the gang there will make sure your rifle is all squared away before you start.

Last edited:

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD

Ed will level it for you the first morning during the gun fitting if it needs it.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I think I'm going to stay in Fredericksburg VA. anyone else staying in the area?

I stayed in Fredericksburg when I went to the class, I regretted it wished I was a bit closer. GPS wise it's not so bad, but driving those long winding back roads before and after class wasn't fun especially if you get stuck behind a slow driver.

SevenT6Vet

May 5, 2015
    Richmond, Va
    I took the 4th class and was so impressed, I talked my wife into taking a 1 day version of it today. With having shot maybe 20 rounds through a rifle prior to today, she walked away today with the following:

-A great understanding of body position and handling skills.
    -A 5 shot group with factory Hornady ammo...0.615" @ 100 yards (last two shots in same hole at top in pic).
    -With one 22-250 round left, dialed in elevation, and hit 605 yard target.
    -Switched to 6mm Rem, and worked up through several targets to 1,075 yards, with hit on first shot.

And the best part: came home so excited that i think my budget allowance for shooting just doubled :)

Thanks Ed! Will probably talk to you about pistol class next.

Attachments

• 13567243_10104492455430163_1624662701652257132_n.jpg
      13567243_10104492455430163_1624662701652257132_n.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 464

enya60h

Dec 10, 2011
    eds class

nice shooting with great group this weekend. left trail of destruction tho. had to shoot last and sit in corner and color. Knocked down three targets in row, but had great time .everyone that missed out on eds class missed a great time, thanks ed,marc,bill ,marcs girlfriend(sorry forgot your name)Thanks for all the help and Great Wind Calls,Will Be Back soon Thanks mark 338 Lapua :lol::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    BTW thanks again Ed for all the help. Last weekend I managed to shoot my best midrange fclass score. I'm still pulling a few outside the 10 ring, and KNOW its still due to my form. As with anything else in life, I need to shoot more than 4 times a year to get better at it but at least now I know what I'm doing wrong so I can quickly correct it. Still chasing that 600 though lol.

sureshot

Apr 15, 2014
    6th class

Ed,
    can't thank you enough. you got me started on long range! Wonderful class, great instruction and excellent support team. i truly hope you consider offering a few of these next year.

Classmates: great to meet each of you, thanks for your patience and support. If anyone knows a place were we can shoot 1000+ let me know. I am considering joining Peacemakers to have a spot to shoot several times a year - if anyone else is interested we could head out sometime.

Until then keep shooting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom