What's a good group size for a compact/carry pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aebsr

Reluctant Militant
    Jan 19, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I picked up a new M&P Shield 9mm today and immediately took it to the range. Figuring it's use case was primarily for close range self defense I sent a couple 8" bullseye targets 5 yards out and slow fired a few magazines. Minus a few early flyers I was surprised to be getting 2.5" to 3" groups.

Should I be patting myself on the back or should that group be tighter?

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I'm no expert, but if I read your thread title correctly, you're shooting a carry gun at 5 yards and getting pretty good groups. Would that group be good enough to hit your target in a defensive situation? I'd say probably so, so you're doing very well. :thumbsup:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    At 5yd there should be a single hole in the target from 3-5 shots ;)

Seriously though, I was just shooting my shield this past weekend and I get about 2" groups at 10yd and 6" groups at 25yd

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater

Seriously though, I was just shooting my shield this past weekend and I get about 2" groups at 10yd and 6" groups at 25yd

So, you're shooting the holes out of the donuts? :innocent0

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    So, you're shooting the holes out of the donuts? :innocent0

OP is shooting well. If one can manage groups double that size, under stress and with the extremes that go along with a home invasion or when one is facing down a gun or knife, you'll do well defending yourself, family and property.

Lew--Ranger63

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    3" at 5 yards is nothing special. It's decent, but you now have a reason to go to the range more.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Most shootings happen within that distance. Try to speed it up a bit, and maintain a good grouping. I usually try to key hole it at 21ft. (7 yards) because A.) that's the distance at my range. And B.) that is the Red zone, for an advancing knife welding subject.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

Really? I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that POS. That is the main reason I sold it to you. LOL

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Really? I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that POS. That is the main reason I sold it to you. LOL

guess some are more adept at shooting that little thing than others. It is extremely accurate for me considering the 2" barrel :D

Is there that much of a difference in accuracy with the g43 for you?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Most shootings happen within that distance. Try to speed it up a bit, and maintain a good grouping. I usually try to key hole it at 21ft. (7 yards) because A.) that's the distance at my range. And B.) that is the Red zone, for an advancing knife welding subject.

yeah yeah, 21 shots @ 21ft. We got it.

:D

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Its okay. I hear blaster229 can do 1/2" groups at 50yd :innocent0

:D
    Actually that is probably a pretty accurate statement. Blaster229 and Roaddawg are absolute marksmen on the range with handguns. RD is also insanely accurate with an AR. I didn't get to see Blaster with a long gun.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Actually that is probably a pretty accurate statement. Blaster229 and Roaddawg are absolute marksmen on the range with handguns. RD is also insanely accurate with an AR. I didn't get to see Blaster with a long gun.

No doubt. Haven't gotten to see either of them shoot with my own eyes, but I have heard the tales. :D

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    guess some are more adept at shooting that little thing than others. It is extremely accurate for me considering the 2" barrel :D

Is there that much of a difference in accuracy with the g43 for you?
    I am one of the select few that prefers the Glock grip angle. Nothing else points naturally for me. The G43 feels much better than the Shield to me. That is not to say that the Shield is a bad gun it just doesn't work for me.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I am one of the select few that prefers the Glock grip angle. Nothing else points naturally for me. The G43 feels much better than the Shield to me. That is not to say that the Shield is a bad gun it just doesn't work for me.

Glocks just seem so polarizing. If you love them, you hate everything else. Then everyone else just seems to hate them. That grip angle and the squared off grip itself are a departure from nearly every other leading polymer pistol on the market.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Glocks just seem so polarizing. If you love them, you hate everything else. Then everyone else just seems to hate them. That grip angle and the squared off grip itself are a departure from nearly every other leading polymer pistol on the market.
    Everyone's hand is shaped and sized differently. I tried my Gen 4 G21 without any of the interchangeable grips. I hated it. I had to put the medium grip on which is the standard grip angle for all other generation Glocks. All of my other Glocks are gen 2 or 3 and work perfectly for me without those stupid interchangeable grips. Someone that prefers a 1911 would need a Gen 4 to get a similar grip angle. Just not for me.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most all quality pistols are capable of <4" at 25yds, and while shooting for slow fire group size can be a valuable skill, it's not quite as important in a defensive handgun, and not important to compare to others unless as a diagnostic tool for your instructor. For a defensive handgun I usually practice to put all rounds on a blank piece of paper as fast as I can at a reasonable range. The group should be roughly centered around the point of aim, if shots aren't covering the paper speed up, if some are missing, slow down and concentrate on fundementals. Handling recoil and dealing with the short grip and short sight radius are crucial skills in shooting subcompacts well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom