• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    In all seriousness, using your logic, shouldn't you also ask about ownership and safe storage of power tools, poisons, and other dangerous objects, as well? Do you ask about ownership of in-ground swimming pools and whether they're fenced in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is also recommended. I believe many pediatricians do.

Omaha419

NRA / GOA
    Apr 19, 2013
    Grow up. She is doing what the AMA tells her is going to save a child's life. She has the best intentions, even though they are misguided. She doesn't need a troglodyte like you telling her to **** herself.

She doesn't HAVE to do it. Just like a cop doesn't HAVE to give you a ticket when you get pulled over. Thanks for the laugh though. Haven't heard "troglodyte" in a long time.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    She doesn't HAVE to do it. Just like a cop doesn't HAVE to give you a ticket when you get pulled over. Thanks for the laugh though. Haven't heard "troglodyte" in a long time.

She is told that she should. She is told that it makes a difference. She has your best interest at heart, most docs do not go into medicine to push a political agenda.

Being a primary care doc is not an easy job. Most PCPs work very hard for their patients. We spend hours in the office doing paper work, calling insurance companies, calling patients about results, reassuring people who are dying or seriously ill, talking to visiting nurses. Many may say "cry me a river, look what you get paid", but I'll tell you some days it just doesn't seem worth it. I know many of these medical crusaders who think they are going to save the world and are really trying hard to make a difference in the lives of their patients. These are the people who ask "the question". They work their asses off, and often do more behind the scenes than you could know. The idea that you will tell one of these good-hearted people to "**** off" for asking a question really makes me mad.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    She is told that she should. She is told that it makes a difference. She has your best interest at heart, most docs do not go into medicine to push a political agenda.

Being a primary care doc is not an easy job. Most PCPs work very hard for their patients. We spend hours in the office doing paper work, calling insurance companies, calling patients about results, reassuring people who are dying or seriously ill, talking to visiting nurses. Many may say "cry me a river, look what you get paid", but I'll tell you some days it just doesn't seem worth it. I know many of these medical crusaders who think they are going to save the world and are really trying hard to make a difference in the lives of their patients. These are the people who ask "the question". They work their asses off, and often do more behind the scenes than you could know. The idea that you will tell one of these good-hearted people to "**** off" for asking a question really makes me mad.

Me too. Want to show that the question is silly or irrelevant? The best way to prove that it is relevant is to show anger. Our issue is with the AMA or the governent not the Dr.

Meanwhile what do you think the Dr will make of your displaced aggression? Frankly I would place a call or too based on that alone...
    Please think before you speak... you represent all of us...

Last edited:

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I think after more PCP's and the AMA read the replies in this thread they may conclude that most gun owners blood pressure goes up when asked about guns, which could cause more heart attacks vs accidental gun shot wounds.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    What happens after the majority of the country is on Obamacare, then the govt deems that firearms ownership is a "high-risk" activity in regards to your health and your insurablity? Then your doctor is required to provide this info to Uncle Sam? Well, that's a problem.

But there is a solution. Give up the guns in your home to remove this risk or pay 25x the "normal" premiums for your Obamacare insurance policy if we even allow you to be insured. What now? Turns out to be a not-so-benign issue after all, huh?

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    What happens after the majority of the country is on Obamacare, then the govt deems that firearms ownership is a "high-risk" activity in regards to your health and your insurablity? Then your doctor is required to provide this info to Uncle Sam? Well, that's a problem.

But there is a solution. Give up the guns in your home to remove this risk or pay 25x the "normal" premiums for your Obamacare insurance policy if we even allow you to be insured. What now? Turns out to be a not-so-benign issue after all, huh?

That sort of paranoia is sort of why I don't like to tell things with lists that I own firearms. Lists are dangerous simply because there is no way to forsee how they will be used.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    I'm compiling my own list of questions for my next visit to the doctor. If they're not answered to my satisfaction I'll seek care elsewhere. Oh, but wait, under a government run health care system, we'll lose the ability to shop around won't we. They'll simply look at you and say "You'll be back." Before long the questions will be: Do you handled fireworks on the Fourth of July? Are you a classic car enthusiast? (In other words, are you a hazard because of your emissions spewing hobbies?). Tyranny, nothing less than tyranny. How did this happen?

almiller1963

Oct 18, 2013
    Forest Hill, Md
    Me too. Want to show that the question is silly or irrelevant? The best way to prove that it is relevant is to show anger. Our issue is with the AMA or the governent not the Dr.

Meanwhile what do you think the Dr will make of your displaced aggression? Frankly I would place a call or too based on that alone...
    Please think before you speak... you represent all of us...

A call or 2 to whom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I can understand being upset about the gun question, but smoke detectors?

Seriously, I hope you all have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in your homes.

(And new smoke detectors as well -- under 10 years old. The new ones even have no-change 10 year batteries.)

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I was at the local hospital with my wife from 7:30pm Thursday to 5:30am Friday and she was asked if we had firearms in our home 3 or 4 times by different nurses and doctors. The other questions regarding feeling safe at home, thoughts, etc. were only asked once. This questioning seemed obviously slanted toward the "gun problem".

She looked them in the face each time and said no.

She was there for, what turned out to be, gallstones. Nothing that remotely looked like abuse or assault.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Try taking a kid to the ER. Stand back and watch the interrogations begin. I took my kid about 8 years ago for a broken arm. They separated us and started questioning. It seemed orchestrated to the point we didn't realize it was going on at first. Once I did, I got pissed and started giving them fierce crap. they backed off then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom