• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Masada Tactical in Pikesville--good guys.

I’m glad you mentioned them. Those are the guys that trained me for the HQL. I enjoyed learning from them and definitely would be open to giving them my business.

I’ve searched this and other forums about this topic and the prevailing opinion seems to be that with shipping and FFL fees, it’s often a “wash” vs buying directly from the local dealer. I’m not sure I agree. The more I research, especially on sites like Grab a Gun and others, I see prices far less than MSRP. Perhaps if a buyer approaches a local dealer and explains their willingness to give the dealer biz, but showing some of the prices found on line, maybe the dealer would negotiate off MSRP? I’d have to believe they would, except perhaps for new, rare or high demand units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I’m glad you mentioned them. Those are the guys that trained me for the HQL. I enjoyed learning from them and definitely would be open to giving them my business.

I’ve searched this and other forums about this topic and the prevailing opinion seems to be that with shipping and FFL fees, it’s often a “wash” vs buying directly from the local dealer. I’m not sure I agree. The more I research, especially on sites like Grab a Gun and others, I see prices far less than MSRP. Perhaps if a buyer approaches a local dealer and explains their willingness to give the dealer biz, but showing some of the prices found on line, maybe the dealer would negotiate off MSRP? I’d have to believe they would, except perhaps for new, rare or high demand units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless it is some brand new, in demand, hotness, most dealers sell well below MSRP anyway. Buying a few guns from the same dealer over time may lead to special pricing for regular customers, especially with cash.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Its a shame nobody has thought to get an FFL for the sole purpose of doing online transfers. I'd think it would be a good business mode, although you would need space to securely store firearms.

Whenever I have a hankering for a new toy I shop all sources to get my best price, then go to my preferred gun shop and ask them if they can " put this firearm in my hands" for the online price plus transfer fee. That gives them a choice.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Its a shame nobody has thought to get an FFL for the sole purpose of doing online transfers. I'd think it would be a good business mode, although you would need space to securely store firearms.

Many people have. Unless it is just a MD thing, the ATF put a stop to home based FF's years ago. You need a brick and mortar storefront.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    I'm off the mindset that I'll try to get the best price that I can then go to my guy and let him know what is going to cost and if he can get close to that price. Sometimes I'm surprised and can get it cheaper other times is a few dollars more. By the time you figure in the shipping, transfer fees and whatnot you are better off getting it from your local gun shop. Just for record my LGS is an IP here. Thanks GymRatz !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom