• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Teacher

Feb 16, 2007
    Just Around the Corner
    Had the opportunity to talk with an employee behind the gun counter today. He said that all Maryland rules apply to military, including retired, who reside in Maryland for gun purchases. He said the big advantage was no sales tax. He also said that the post commander could have decided to follow federal rules or Maryland rules when it came to gun sales. The commander chose to follow Maryland rules. Go figure.

rstickle

Jul 12, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    Was there Tuesday. Fair selection, but I didn't see any SIGs, and there was another guy there looking for Glocks, and I think there were only two. One of the handgun display counters was mostly wheel guns.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    On the right side of my ID it states:

U.S. Army
    Retired

EXPIRATION DATE:
    INDEF

Educate me on CAC

EDIT of google, from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Access_Card#cite_note-dodcac-1, it doesn't pertain to retired oldFarts: The Common Access Card, also colloquially referred to as the CAC (often called CAC card, due to what is informally known as RAS syndrome), is a smart card about the size of a credit card.[1] It is the standard identification for active-duty military personnel, Selected Reserve, United States Department of Defense (DoD) civilian employees, and eligible contractor personnel.[1] It is also the principal card used to enable physical access to buildings and controlled spaces, and it provides access to defense computer networks and systems.[1] It also serves as an identification card under the Geneva Conventions (esp. the Third Geneva Convention). The CAC satisfies two-factor authentication: something that belongs to the user, and something only known to the user. And, the CAC covers the bases for digital signature and data encryption technology: authentication, integrity and non-repudiation.

If you have a retired ID card you should be good to go. CAC is a Common Access Card that for Active Duty replaced the old Green ID card. It has magnetic strip and a chip in it that can be used for things like PKI token and physical swipe access...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Had the opportunity to talk with an employee behind the gun counter today. He said that all Maryland rules apply to military, including retired, who reside in Maryland for gun purchases. He said the big advantage was no sales tax. He also said that the post commander could have decided to follow federal rules or Maryland rules when it came to gun sales. The commander chose to follow Maryland rules. Go figure.

If you were to buy a formerly regulated rifle (now banned) and you lived in MD, you would be violating MD law I believe. Mags may be a different story. I don't know.

BTW, how are the prices? Any better than the places like Basspro or Dicks?

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    was there today. prices looked about the same.. but remember no tax. i saw a Benelli Nova for $375? buck or two cheaper then some were else i guess. when i first walked in and saw the tactical store i thought that was it! but then found all the guns in the back of the PX.... knowing its there now i will go there first for my next toy!!!
    all i all the new PX is pretty nice!

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    was there today. prices looked about the same.. but remember no tax. i saw a Benelli Nova for $375? buck or two cheaper then some were else i guess. when i first walked in and saw the tactical store i thought that was it! but then found all the guns in the back of the PX.... knowing its there now i will go there first for my next toy!!!
    all i all the new PX is pretty nice!

Haven't been to Meade in a couple of years. Is the new PX in the same general area as the old one?

Never mind. Found it on the Meade website.

Last edited:

USMCTC

Jan 16, 2012
    Tried to check out the gun counter today. Sign says it is closed on all Sunday's and will be closed tomorrow also since it is a Federal holiday, even though the rest of the PX will be open.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Tried to check out the gun counter today. Sign says it is closed on all Sunday's and will be closed tomorrow also since it is a Federal holiday, even though the rest of the PX will be open.

Probably can't do instant NICS checks for long gun purchases.

Alderleet

Always, Sometimes.
    Sep 25, 2013
    AA
    I swung by, and its okay. Ammo prices suck hard.

The selection is okay.

I hope they dont abide by the stupid 10rd mag limit.

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    Stopped in today, not a bad set up and selection. Prices not horrible. They even had some 22. Priced very close to most local sporting stores, couple bucks cheaper plus no sales tax.

Alderleet

Always, Sometimes.
    Sep 25, 2013
    AA
    So, I went in yesterday, and there was nothing there.

All the guns and ammo are out of the shelves. Perhaps its a sunday thing?

Telly

Feb 3, 2015
    I was surprised to see guns at the PX.. I never looked too much into MD gun buying laws, but heard they suck, and figured it would be painful.

It really wasn't as bad as I feared... they helped me with the forms, made copies of my retired Mil ID, Drivers Lisc and registration, and was happy to learn that I was exempt from the HQL. They said they would call me in a week to pick up the gun, a S&W .40.

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    BE AWARE that some of the salesmen do NOT know their stuff. Asked for two boxes of 357 magnum and 38 special +p. He handed me two boxes of 357 mag and two boxes of 38 super auto. I said "that's not 38 special" and he said "Sure it is." I replied, "No it's not. It's an entirely different cartridge with different pressures." He continued to try to tell me it was 38 special +p. I asked to speak to the supervisor and the supervisor told him the same thing I said. If you're foolish enough to believe them or just aren't educated in the proper names of ammunition types, be aware that if you do purchase it then find out later it's not correct, you CANNOT return it for a refund. I will say that they did have a number of boxes of 17 winchester super magnum available, which i swooped on immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom