• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    as noted above, hit a range that rents a variety of guns and give them a try. but yeah glocks of various size and caliber are your best bets. they work and work and work, mags are inexpensive, tons of aftermarket parts and accessories (holsters, sights, etc).

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Beretta 92.

Accurate
    Great fit to my hand
    Plenty of surplus and accessories out there.
    Runs real smooth

I also like 357 revolvers. Haven't tried many, but definitely no jamming. Get some speed reloaders and bam, done.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Agree with Glock 34. Fits the HD role and the range role perfectly.

PALYDIN11

Jan 26, 2013
    Ocean City, MD
    We are in the golden age of quality firearms. Glock/CZ/Sig/Walther all make great handguns. It seems like over the last 7 years as soon as I thought I didn't need another gun, I found one that fit even better than what I had.

As far as actual recommendations: Glock 17/19......Sig P320... buy used. There are great deals out there. I would definitely recommend renting a few at a range and determine what fits your grip best.

I second you on the Glock recommendations!

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Sig P320, Sig P226/229, S&W M&P M2.0 in whichever caliber you prefer.

The P320 has a variety of sizes for both grips and slides, as a home defense pistol, a full or carry/X-Carry size would do well. My full-size in .40 S&W is my current goto because I shoot it well, but my X-Carry is close enough in size that it really doesn't change much other than the weight (the full-size is in an X-series frame with a grip weight and mag funnel).

The P226/P229 are reasonable magazine wise if you go with Mec-Gar mags. Mine have had zero issues with the Mec-Gar mags and they are $12 cheaper on GunMagWarehouse compared to the Sig branded ones. With them, it really comes down to size preference, I like my P229 slightly more. With a round in the chamber, nothing stops you from cocking the hammer and using it in single action if you don't like the double-action pull (or get a Legion model that's SAO, they are available used).

The M&P I just enjoy shooting, never a hiccup with it with any range or defensive ammo. Probably not the cheapest magazines but both 9mm and .40 S&W are available in multiple barrel sizes.

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    Best to try out some pistols first. I prefer the Glocks as they are very dependable. For defense, you need a gun that goes bang every time.

I have a G26 that I bought when they first came out. No problems ever. I also have a G34 which is easier to shoot well. Really, any from the G19 up will be a good all around gun.

Be sure to shoot some 200 rounds of the loads you want to use for defense through the gun.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Glock 34

Or if you lose the cheap mag requirement get a Sig P226.

I don’t understand the angst people feel over mag prices. Do folks really make a firearm selection because one has $25 mags and the others are $50? With all the other items to consider in a purchase, mag price is far down this list for me - if on it at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I don’t understand the angst people feel over mag prices. Do folks really make a firearm selection because one has $25 mags and the others are $50? With all the other items to consider in a purchase, mag price is far down this list for me - if on it at all.

Plenty of people choose calibers based on cost per round. Governments clearly base caliber choices on cost per round.

Over the life of a firearm, I estimate that I will spend more than three times the cost of the firearm in ammunition and about three times the cost of the firearm on consumables, such as springs and magazines. Besides cost, availability should absolutely be considered in firearm choice, IMO. Personally, ten functional magazines per firearm is a basic requirement. I am constantly looking at current prices for ammunition and magazines. I set price points for everything and when the available price drops below those price points, I buy. I liken it to dollar cost averaging into my hobby just like any other investment.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Sig P320, Sig P226/229, S&W M&P M2.0 in whichever caliber you prefer.

The P320 has a variety of sizes for both grips and slides, as a home defense pistol, a full or carry/X-Carry size would do well. My full-size in .40 S&W is my current goto because I shoot it well, but my X-Carry is close enough in size that it really doesn't change much other than the weight (the full-size is in an X-series frame with a grip weight and mag funnel).

The P226/P229 are reasonable magazine wise if you go with Mec-Gar mags. Mine have had zero issues with the Mec-Gar mags and they are $12 cheaper on GunMagWarehouse compared to the Sig branded ones. With them, it really comes down to size preference, I like my P229 slightly more. With a round in the chamber, nothing stops you from cocking the hammer and using it in single action if you don't like the double-action pull (or get a Legion model that's SAO, they are available used).

The M&P I just enjoy shooting, never a hiccup with it with any range or defensive ammo. Probably not the cheapest magazines but both 9mm and .40 S&W are available in multiple barrel sizes.

yeah I used to have a Sig and the MecGar mags are great. they even hold extra rounds.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Glock 17/19 or Sig 320 in some variety that fits the hand well. Owning both, most seem to think the 320 is easier to shoot, and has a better feel, the GLOCKs are simpler, can be less expensive, and have much better availability for parts and accesories.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    1911. Or just turn in your man card and get a plastic gun.

On a more serious note: All the recommendations for Glocks are fine unless you're one of the minority that absolutely *hates* them (the way the feel in the hand). I prefer an M&P (or the afore mentioned 1911 - which I've only liked for a few years now).

The advice to go feel up or rent a bunch and shoot 'em is sound.

Edit: I carry a G19 daily and despise the thing. It would suck to lay out money based on Internet suggestions and end up hating it.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Plenty of people choose calibers based on cost per round. Governments clearly base caliber choices on cost per round.

Over the life of a firearm, I estimate that I will spend more than three times the cost of the firearm in ammunition and about three times the cost of the firearm on consumables, such as springs and magazines. Besides cost, availability should absolutely be considered in firearm choice, IMO. Personally, ten functional magazines per firearm is a basic requirement. I am constantly looking at current prices for ammunition and magazines. I set price points for everything and when the available price drops below those price points, I buy. I liken it to dollar cost averaging into my hobby just like any other investment.

Cost of ammo I understand. That’s a constantly recurring item. That may be why you choose a 9mm over a .45,for example. It affects your regular (daily? Weekly? Monthly?) spend.

And 3x for consumables is interesting. I don’t know enough to debate that figure, so I’ll accept it. But you say that’s over the life of the gun. How long is that? With even a $20 diff in mag costs, buying 10 mags over 10 years would only be $20 a year difference. Even over 5 years, it’s $40. Probably a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of ammo. But yes, I will agree that the cost of mags needs to be added up and included into the ”total” cost of the gun. Especially if you’re buying 10 ... and buying many of them all at once. That can add up quickly.

I’m not trying to convince anyone to spend more than they are comfortable spending. Or to make anyone feel bad for using mag cost as a factor in gun purchasing. It’s just that for me, factors like the size/weight of the gun in my hands, being able to aim and fire it accurately, reasonable recoil, and a smooth trigger all rate much higher than the cost of mags.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Glock.

Glocks are combat weapons. They'll shoot dirty. They'll shoot dry. They'll shoot crappy ammo. They are easy to field strip. They are easy to fix.

These are features you want in a gun that sits in your night stand. As I write this, it dawns upon me that my G19 in my nightstand hasn't been cleaned, oiled or shot in probably 3 years. There is no doubt it'll go bang if I pull the trigger right now though. That's what I want in a home defense pistol.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

D_S

Aug 22, 2018
    Hollywood
    Lots of good suggestions... bottom line though is:

What fits well in your hand and is comfortable to shoot.

If you aren't comfortable with it, you won't shoot it well regardless of who makes it or what caliber it is.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    My favorite 9mm pistols are Browning HP and CZ75 P01. I shoot them well and they're dependable. What more could one ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom