How best to convey a bolt action rifle as part of an estate (SOCOM MK13 mod 7 sniper

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019
    Gents,

I need your sage advice. My friend is essentially at the end of his two year journey with pancreatic cancer.

Following his tour of duty many years ago as a Navy Intelligence Officer in Afghanistan attached to a SEAL team, he decided to build a to spec replica of the SEAL MK13 mod 7 bolt action sniper rifle, chambered in 300 WinMag.

He wants me to inherit it as I have promised to care for it and pass along to a future generation.

My question is, since he can no longer drive / travel from home and his wife wants as little to do with firearms as possible, how do I best go about receiving the weapon?

Am I permitted to transport the weapon to my FFL, do a background check, and then receive the weapon? Is it advisable he “sell it to me for $1”? Am I completely missing essential additional complexity to such a process?

I am grateful for your consideration and input. It is a blessing that at least my friend is not in pain in his final days.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Thank you, rseymorejr!!

Indeed - both of us are local Maryland residents.

in that case. drive to his house. thank him for his service. tell him he is in your (and my) thoughts and prayers. take home rifle. think of him fondly every time you shoot it.

perfectly legal (for now, but do it quick as there are rumblings this might not be legal for much longer)

optional: call fox news/ write to the white house and tell them that this is the kind of legal transfer that UBRs and private transfer bans will prevent

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Awww, c'mon...you know that since it's a clone of a military rifle it qualifies as an "assault weapon" and can't be allowed to be possessed by an American citizen. The MGA and the Democrat Party think you'll go full semiautomatic with it and shoot up a school or a Walmart or something with it.

I know I'm making a joke but it really is no joke today. :sad20:

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Gents,

I need your sage advice. My friend is essentially at the end of his two year journey with pancreatic cancer.

Following his tour of duty many years ago as a Navy Intelligence Officer in Afghanistan attached to a SEAL team, he decided to build a to spec replica of the SEAL MK13 mod 7 bolt action sniper rifle, chambered in 300 WinMag.

He wants me to inherit it as I have promised to care for it and pass along to a future generation.

My question is, since he can no longer drive / travel from home and his wife wants as little to do with firearms as possible, how do I best go about receiving the weapon?

Am I permitted to transport the weapon to my FFL, do a background check, and then receive the weapon? Is it advisable he “sell it to me for $1”? Am I completely missing essential additional complexity to such a process?

I am grateful for your consideration and input. It is a blessing that at least my friend is not in pain in his final days.

I am very sorry to hear about your friend. As others have said, it is perfectly legal for him to just hand it to you as long as you are both residents of the same state. I hope you enjoy shooting it and think of your friend every time you take it out.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For any others, if the donor lived in another state, for you to pick it up to transport to an MD FFL would be questionable. But you could drive to where he lives, drive him and the rifle to a local FFL, and transfer there.

Only handguns must be transferred in the state of residence of the recipient.

tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019
    For any others, if the donor lived in another state, for you to pick it up to transport to an MD FFL would be questionable. But you could drive to where he lives, drive him and the rifle to a local FFL, and transfer there.

Roger that (in re other weapon type transfers).
    My buddy is pretty well past his days of even riding in cars...

Thanks for the info on other weapon transfers, Pinecone!

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    How best to convey a bolt action rifle as part of an estate (SOCOM MK13 mod 7 sniper

I think you’ll find that most FFLs won’t handle a transfer that involves a resident from another state, even though there is no prohibition on that. In my experience, they will want to receive the firearm from an 01 in the state in which the out-of-state participant (if seller) resides or will want to ship it to an 01 in the state in which the out-of-state participant (if buyer) resides. It’s not right, but it’s how most of them operate.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think you’ll find that most FFLs won’t handle a transfer that involves a resident from another state, even though there is no prohibition on that. In my experience, they will want to receive the firearm from an 01 in the state in which the out-of-state participant (if seller) resides or will want to ship it to an 01 in the state in which the out-of-state participant (if buyer) resides. It’s not right, but it’s how most of them operate.

You just have to ask.

I purchased an M1 Carbine at gun show in VA. Seller was private.

3rd FFL I talked to at the show would do the transfer.

Yes, not all will, but some will.

tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019

Thanks all for the great advice!!!

My friend passed last night at 8:50 PM. He went peacefully, just as he wished, with his wife at his side.

I’ve fired it a few times...but now I feel a strong desire to really learn the weapon. I want to honor my friend’s wish that this weapon gets use.

The photos are from my friend’s basement. He was already sick so I was his hands and eyes.
    Many very good memories here...

Come early 2020, he will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery ⭐️
    ddb28b18b3045cd78d06e581052ea21e.jpg
    f9bb531f48ba42586a1f3a3d825e9c1f.jpg

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thanks all for the great advice!!!

My friend passed last night at 8:50 PM. He went peacefully, just as he wished, with his wife at his side.

I’ve fired it a few times...but now I feel a strong desire to really learn the weapon. I want to honor my friend’s wish that this weapon gets use.

The photos are from my friend’s basement. He was already sick so I was his hands and eyes.
    Many very good memories here...

Come early 2020, he will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery ⭐️
    ddb28b18b3045cd78d06e581052ea21e.jpg
    f9bb531f48ba42586a1f3a3d825e9c1f.jpg

So sorry for your loss. He's in a better place now.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Remember him by spending a couple of days with the rifle at Bang Steel.

Very fitting tribute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom