• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    A friend of mine disassembled his Springfield (Savage) Mod. 944 series A (break open breech loading single shot shotgun) for a thorough cleaning and couldn't get it back together.

For anyone else who comes across this I wanted to share a couple tips because I couldn't find much info online.

1. You are going to NEED slave pins to hold the hammer and trigger assembly together while it is installed in the receiver.

2. I used the solid end of 2 old drill bits(3/16 for the trigger, and 7/32 for the hammer). Shove them in, mark them, and cut them with a Dremel. Ended up being about 1/2 long. You might have to sand them down a bit I'd they are too snug.

3. The long legs of the trigger spring are installed towards the front. It can only really be installed this way and function properly.

4. Make sure the hammer and trigger assembly is functioning properly with the slaves pins holding it together before you put it back in the receiver.

4. Trigger guard was a little out of whack and needed some adjustment to line the hammer and trigger pin holes up with the receiver holes.

Once every thing is lined up, it's very straight forward.

Bad-dog1

Feb 18, 2024
    Iowa
    A friend of mine disassembled his Springfield (Savage) Mod. 944 series A (break open breech loading single shot shotgun) for a thorough cleaning and couldn't get it back together.

For anyone else who comes across this I wanted to share a couple tips because I couldn't find much info online.

1. You are going to NEED slave pins to hold the hammer and trigger assembly together while it is installed in the receiver.

2. I used the solid end of 2 old drill bits(3/16 for the trigger, and 7/32 for the hammer). Shove them in, mark them, and cut them with a Dremel. Ended up being about 1/2 long. You might have to sand them down a bit I'd they are too snug.

3. The long legs of the trigger spring are installed towards the front. It can only really be installed this way and function properly.

4. Make sure the hammer and trigger assembly is functioning properly with the slaves pins holding it together before you put it back in the receiver.

4. Trigger guard was a little out of whack and needed some adjustment to line the hammer and trigger pin holes up with the receiver holes.

Once every thing is lined up, it's very straight forward.
    By chance could you send me a drawing or picture of how these springs are located??? Hammer and trigger springs. I’ve seen the schematic on Numrich but still having issues!! Really appreciate your assistance!
    Thank you in advance!

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    By chance could you send me a drawing or picture of how these springs are located??? Hammer and trigger springs. I’ve seen the schematic on Numrich but still having issues!! Really appreciate your assistance!
    Thank you in advance!
    I am sorry to report that I do not have any pictures, and I do not remember exactly what the parts look like or how they fit together. I only ever handle that firearm once, for about an hour, qui a while ago. I would suggest posting an image of the Numrich schematic and one of the resident gunsmithing enthusiasts can get you some better advice. Sorry and good luck!

Bad-dog1

Feb 18, 2024
    Iowa
    I am sorry to report that I do not have any pictures, and I do not remember exactly what the parts look like or how they fit together. I only ever handle that firearm once, for about an hour, qui a while ago. I would suggest posting an image of the Numrich schematic and one of the resident gunsmithing enthusiasts can get you some better advice. Sorry and good luck!
    Well I really appreciate your effort on this. After some time of research and trial and error, I was able to get this back together!! I did take pictures and have filed them just in case one of these would show up again!
    Thank you though for your efforts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom