Idiot in Laurel, charged with DUI+ while transporting 53 guns.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    The only legal way to have a loaded handgun in your vehicle is if you have a W&C permit and be within your restrictions, if any.

The locking of the case is not relevant. If it’s loaded and you don’t have a permit, you are in trouble

And just for a sense of completeness:

How does MD define loaded? In Utah it's unloaded if the chamber is empty.

I am assuming its unloaded if the mag is also empty. How does MD deal with speed loaders?

And I assume these rules only apply to transport in a vehicle, not storage in my home.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The DNR statute is the only one I have found in reference to what is considered loaded. A long gun or a handgun is considered loaded if a loaded magazine is in the firearm or a round is in the chamber.

I’ll have to go back and reread if revolvers are mentioned

Yes the statute 4-203 applies to the transport of handguns and other firearms defined as handguns ie. SBR, SBS.

tailgunner

Oct 18, 2013
    PAsadena Md.
    I kind of worry about transporting my collection when I move to Florida. I do have my designated collector letter from msp, but does that hold up transporting thru other states?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You are protected by FOPA while transporting Interstate which is Federal law. Your MD DC letter gives you no transport exemptions in MD or any other state.

Google FOPA Title 18 SS 926a

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I kind of worry about transporting my collection when I move to Florida. I do have my designated collector letter from msp, but does that hold up transporting thru other states?

The designated collector letter has nothing to do with transporting.
    Going to Florida you are covered under FOPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The DNR statute is the only one I have found in reference to what is considered loaded. A long gun or a handgun is considered loaded if a loaded magazine is in the firearm or a round is in the chamber.

I’ll have to go back and reread if revolvers are mentioned

Yes the statute 4-203 applies to the transport of handguns and other firearms defined as handguns ie. SBR, SBS.

Attaching a brief letter from AAG Bowen to Allan Kittleman with an unofficial position from the AG's office regarding loaded mags that are NOT in the handgun.

Also, as far as the DNR statute is concerned, most firearms used by hunters, especially FUDDS, do not have magazines that can be removed. The magazine tube on my pump and semi-auto shotguns are part of the gun. Cannot have rounds in the mag tube with the gun in or upon a vehicle. Same goes for bolt guns with a magazine that cannot be removed. Guilty of violating the statute if the gun has rounds in the mag tube or the non-removable magazine with an empty chamber. Sheer stupidity in my mind, but that is what the law is.

Attachments

• AG opinion - 100115 - Loaded Magazines.pdf
      40.2 KB · Views: 128

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    This is why I have a pistol rug and a cheap luggage lock for each handgun. Luggage lock goes between the hole in the zipper handle and the "D" ring on the rug (would not slow down a thief 10 seconds). "Yes your honor they were in a case and the case was locked!"

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I would imagine that using a lockable tool chest such as the below (for multiple firearms) would meet the requirements under FOPA?

1erqqw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom