• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Hmm there is a test in Linthicum this weekend...I wonder if I can pass the test by then. I have some transferable skills from previous jobs.

I just took a practice exam and scored a 75%...I got all the electrical and theory questions right.

pez34a

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Can you listen and not broadcast without this license?

Yes, you can legally listen to any signal without a license, with the exception of cell phone calls - thats illegal to listen to.

In the US, a license is needed to transmit any radio signal.

An Amateur Radio license issued under FCC regulations part 97 allows the licensee to transmit on certain frequency bands.

But an interesting point is that the licensing requirement for *any* transmission includes those produced by consumer devices. Difference is, instead of the individual being licensed, the devices themselves are licensed under FCC regulations part 15 (look at the label or in the fine print of the manual for any cell phone, laptop, cordless phone, etc and you'll see that stated).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    We used to run mixed band conversations.

Techs listening to 80M ground wave, and replying on 2m repeater. Generals and above talking on 80M. Got some fired up to get a General or higher to do HF. :)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    K31, you are the man, awesome write up, and thanks for giving me the nudge to get into the hobby myself. KB3ZIW 73s

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I am really happy you brought this up, I was thinking about comms in my "preps" and wanted to learn morse code but did not know a good method to learn/transmit to.

Just FYI I found

www.hamwhisperer.com Hes got great tutorials. Im up through lesson three and decoding like a champ.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Hmm there is a test in Linthicum this weekend...I wonder if I can pass the test by then. I have some transferable skills from previous jobs.

I just took a practice exam and scored a 75%...I got all the electrical and theory questions right.
    I'm in the same boat; radar, surveillance receiver work, time domain devices, test equipment cal/repair, sig gens, PLLs, etc., but no recent or really relevant experience.

I have passed a half dozen of the online practice exams K-31 linked with a few correct answers to spare, so the hell with it, I'm headed to Charlottesville (Earlysville, actually:http://www.arrl.org/exam_sessions/earlysville-va-22936-9999-1) in the morning to take the Technician level exam.

I also tried the online General practice exams a couple times, but only got within two questions of passing them, mainly due to the admin/procedural type questions. If I pass the Tech phase and they'll let me, I'll also give the Gen phase a shot.

Maybe they'll have an ARRL handbook there tomorrow for sale. Be nice to have study guide if I blow either exam, and my weakness on the procedural stuff won't fly anyway.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    HRO may have the book. One in Woodbridge and one is New Castle, DE.

WOODBRIDGE, VA:
    Store Hours:
    10AM-5:30PM Mon - Sat
    Telephone hours:
    9:30AM-5:30PM Mon-Sat

TOLL FREE: 800-444-4799
    LOCAL: 703-643-1063
    FAX: 703-494-3679
    EMAIL: virginia@hamradio.com

Store Mailing Address:
    14803 Build America Dr Bldg B
    Woodbridge, VA 22191-3438

And you can play with all sorts of radios.
    Thanks Pinecone, I'll run up there and look around one day this week.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I try not to go into ham radio stores. Like gun stores, they cost me money. :)

I bought my first HT and my HF rig from HRO in Woodbridge. Most of my other stuff came from HRO in Newark, DE, as it is closer to me. Good stores.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm in the same boat; radar, surveillance receiver work, time domain devices, test equipment cal/repair, sig gens, PLLs, etc., but no recent or really relevant experience.

I have passed a half dozen of the online practice exams K-31 linked with a few correct answers to spare, so the hell with it, I'm headed to Charlottesville (Earlysville, actually:http://www.arrl.org/exam_sessions/earlysville-va-22936-9999-1) in the morning to take the Technician level exam.

I also tried the online General practice exams a couple times, but only got within two questions of passing them, mainly due to the admin/procedural type questions. If I pass the Tech phase and they'll let me, I'll also give the Gen phase a shot.

Maybe they'll have an ARRL handbook there tomorrow for sale. Be nice to have study guide if I blow either exam, and my weakness on the procedural stuff won't fly anyway.

You sound like you have more than enough experience to challenge the Tech. exam. They'll certainly let you challenge the General if you pass the Tech.

PM me if you pass the General.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    K31, you are the man, awesome write up, and thanks for giving me the nudge to get into the hobby myself. KB3ZIW 73s

I have to give credit to gprimr1 and jef955 for sparking my interest in the hobby here.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Can you listen and not broadcast without this license?

As another member pointed out yes, and you don't even need your own radio. if you Google "SDR online" you'll find people who share their Software Defined Radios (SDR) on the web. Also, some "police" scanner apps for Android, etc. have amateur bands.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    BTW, today is Field Day. If you want to check out Amateur Radio "Hands on" most clubs are practicing operating in the field and have stations set up for you to see and even try with a member as the control operator.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    You sound like you have more than enough experience to challenge the Tech. exam. They'll certainly let you challenge the General if you pass the Tech.
    :bannana: Passed the Tech! The guy came back in and congratulated me and more or less automatically handed me the General exam.

Passed the General and then they tried to get me to take the Extra, but I declined, realizing I was probably lucky to pass the General. I'll definitely have to study for the Extra if I decide I want it later. I attribute doing as well as I did to working the practice exams at your link above, thanks.
    PM me if you pass the General.
    Inbound.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    :bannana: Passed the Tech! The guy came back in and congratulated me and more or less automatically handed me the General exam.

Passed the General and then they tried to get me to take the Extra, but I declined, realizing I was probably lucky to pass the General. I'll definitely have to study for the Extra if I decide I want it later. I attribute doing as well as I did to working the practice exams at your link above, thanks. Inbound.

congrats, studying mine now.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Passed the General and then they tried to get me to take the Extra, but I declined, realizing I was probably lucky to pass the General. I'll definitely have to study for the Extra if I decide I want it later. I attribute doing as well as I did to working the practice exams at your link above, thanks. Inbound.

Congratulations Ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom