• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    From time of app. MSP holds them to the 90 day mark from the date of application. This is not new. They've been doing this for as long as I can remember. This ain't the 7 day wait for purchases.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bsavoy

Dec 15, 2014
    Freeland, MD
    From time of app. MSP holds them to the 90 day mark from the date of application. This is not new. They've been doing this for as long as I can remember. This ain't the 7 day wait for purchases.

And, the date of the app can be different from the date you actually submitted it. My official app date was about a week after I actually submitted it, in person, at the barracks. I think it was the date the Trooper was assigned.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    Well, I'm still waiting.. I've contacted MSP and they did tell me that there is the 90 days, but since more "evidence" was asked for, now its all up in the air..

Discourage, Delay, Deny.
    The MSP Licensing Division's watchword.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Just got a call from York County sheriffs office letting me know my PA permit is ready to be picked up. I mailed the application Thursday (i.e. 6 days ago)

The application only took me 15 minutes to complete and the $20 fee is good for 5 years. It's also the ONLY cost. Didn't have to get fingerprinted, attend another CCW training, or get "interviewed like a potential criminal.

The process made me want to weep for the complete clusterf&ck that is the MD process.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Here's the wording from the MSP's S.O.P. Note the BOLD parts (#2 & #10). Keep in mind that the MSP holds the cards, since they never "complete the application" until the clock is about to run out.

2. Applications should be stamped with the date received upon delivery to Licensing Division.
    3. Handgun Permit Unit’s personnel will review the application for completeness no later than
    three business days from receipt. If the application is not complete, the Handgun Permit
    Unit’s supervisor will determine whether the applicant will be e-mailed explaining the shortage
    or the entire application will be returned to the applicant with an explanation as to why the
    package was unable to be processed. In either case, corresponding notes will be logged in
    the Handgun Permit Unit’s folder in the department’s shared drive. Unit members will make
    every effort to process applications that may be missing information which may be added to
    the file at a later time.
    4. Acceptable applications will be entered into the Licensing Division’s Lotus Notes Application
    Tracking System.
    SOP 29-15-007
    Processing of Handgun Permit Applications
    5 of 9
    5. All checks and/or money orders received with the application will be processed in accordance
    with ADM 10.03 and S.O.P. 29-13-014.
    6. The Handgun Permit Unit will make an entry into Lotus Notes that indicate the date the
    fingerprints were taken. Likewise, the Handgun Permit Unit will note the date the Unit receives
    the results of the Maryland Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS), National Instant
    Criminal Background Check (NICS), Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DHMH) and the
    Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) criminal history record check results.
    7. Any received handgun permit applications that indicate a request for another certification
    within Licensing Division, will be conspicuously marked, and a copy of the application will be
    forwarded to the corresponding section. The Handgun Permit Unit will track the progress of
    both applications and ensure the timely processing of all applications.
    8. The Handgun Permit Unit will immediately, or within three business days, scan and distributed
    applicable, completed applications to the Administrative Investigations Unit and record the
    assignment in the corresponding tracking log.
    9. Upon return from the Administrative Investigations Unit, the entire investigative packet;
    application, criminal history record checks responses, investigative reports and all documents
    submitted by the applicant, will be forwarded to Handgun Permit Unit’s personnel assigned to
    determine approval or denial to conduct the NCIS and DHMH queries and make final
    determination.
    NOTE: Handgun Permit Unit’s personnel assigned to review applications to determine
    approval or denial must inform the Commander or his designee anytime his determination of
    an applicant’s qualification(s) differs from that of the assigned firearm investigator so that
    proper reconciliation may be accomplished.
    10. Approved applications will be processed for photograph scanning, handgun permit card
    printing and mailed to the applicant with the approval letter with five days of completion.
    Should processing extend beyond 90 days, the applicant will be notified, via e-mail or

telephone, as to the reason for the delay and provided with an expected date of completion.

bsavoy

Dec 15, 2014
    Freeland, MD
    Just got a call from York County sheriffs office letting me know my PA permit is ready to be picked up. I mailed the application Thursday (i.e. 6 days ago)

The application only took me 15 minutes to complete and the $20 fee is good for 5 years. It's also the ONLY cost. Didn't have to get fingerprinted, attend another CCW training, or get "interviewed like a potential criminal.

The process made me want to weep for the complete clusterf&ck that is the MD process.

Funny, I was just thinking about this. Got my PA license last year. Filled out the app and mailed it in. Took less than a week for them to let me know it was approved. Walked in to the York County's Sheriff's Office, 15 minutes and $20 later, I was walking out with my permit.
    I was getting ready to walk out of the door after my picture was taken. The Sheriff had to call me back in and was laughing. Told me he was printing my permit right then and there. I almost s*@# myself.

bsavoy

Dec 15, 2014
    Freeland, MD
    Here's the wording from the MSP's S.O.P. Note the BOLD parts (#2 & #10). Keep in mind that the MSP holds the cards, since they never "complete the application" until the clock is about to run out.

2. Applications should be stamped with the date received upon delivery to Licensing Division.
    3. Handgun Permit Unit’s personnel will review the application for completeness no later than
    three business days from receipt. If the application is not complete, the Handgun Permit
    Unit’s supervisor will determine whether the applicant will be e-mailed explaining the shortage
    or the entire application will be returned to the applicant with an explanation as to why the
    package was unable to be processed. In either case, corresponding notes will be logged in
    the Handgun Permit Unit’s folder in the department’s shared drive. Unit members will make
    every effort to process applications that may be missing information which may be added to
    4. Acceptable applications will be entered into the Licensing Division’s Lotus Notes Application
    Tracking System.
    SOP 29-15-007
    5 of 9
    5. All checks and/or money orders received with the application will be processed in accordance
    6. The Handgun Permit Unit will make an entry into Lotus Notes that indicate the date the
    fingerprints were taken. Likewise, the Handgun Permit Unit will note the date the Unit receives
    the results of the Maryland Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS), National Instant
    Criminal Background Check (NICS), Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DHMH) and the
    7. Any received handgun permit applications that indicate a request for another certification
    within Licensing Division, will be conspicuously marked, and a copy of the application will be
    forwarded to the corresponding section. The Handgun Permit Unit will track the progress of
    8. The Handgun Permit Unit will immediately, or within three business days, scan and distributed
    applicable, completed applications to the Administrative Investigations Unit and record the
    9. Upon return from the Administrative Investigations Unit, the entire investigative packet;
    application, criminal history record checks responses, investigative reports and all documents
    submitted by the applicant, will be forwarded to Handgun Permit Unit’s personnel assigned to
    determine approval or denial to conduct the NCIS and DHMH queries and make final
    determination.
    NOTE: Handgun Permit Unit’s personnel assigned to review applications to determine
    approval or denial must inform the Commander or his designee anytime his determination of
    an applicant’s qualification(s) differs from that of the assigned firearm investigator so that
    10. Approved applications will be processed for photograph scanning, handgun permit card
    printing and mailed to the applicant with the approval letter with five days of completion.
    Should processing extend beyond 90 days, the applicant will be notified, via e-mail or

telephone, as to the reason for the delay and provided with an expected date of completion.

So, approximately, 85 days for steps 1 through 9 and 5 days for step 10...in a perfect Maryland world.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

Tracking System.
    SOP 29-15-007
    5 of 9
    determination.

The September 2015 SOP is no longer valid. A new one has not been published as of yet. Don't ask me how I know.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    If the 2015 SOP is invalid, but the new one isn't published, then how is the old one invalid? Troops can only go by a published SOP...now, if its just not on the site, that's one thing. But pending SOPs are just that and normally cant be followed...but hey, this is MSP so whatever goes, it seems...

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    If the 2015 SOP is invalid, but the new one isn't published, then how is the old one invalid? Troops can only go by a published SOP...now, if its just not on the site, that's one thing. But pending SOPs are just that and normally cant be followed...but hey, this is MSP so whatever goes, it seems...
    No argument from me. But what I say is 100% true. It was yanked from online and is not being followed/adhered to.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    If your application was loaded into Lotus Notes all the Licensing Divisions more recent webpage window dressing isn't going to help LOL

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Just because their SOP is no longer visible to you, does not make it invalid.

As stated previously it has been invalidated by the licensing division. I never said it was invalid because it was not on the web. It is no longer valid AND it is has been pulled from the web. They are actively NOT honoring it as a matter of internal policy. I am not guessing this, it is a fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom