• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    As the last shooter of the last stage, I had to let it all hang out (it would be wrong not to, right?)...and that's what pushed me over the edge:o I was definitely wiped out the rest of the day...and not exactly leaping out of bed this morning either :innocent0

In an ideal world, I'd love to see 3 RO's per squad that would rotate duties so one was free to load mags, load shotgun, take water, catch breath, etc. while the other two were keeping everything rolling along. I know that's asking a lot.

Steel challenge isn't so bad, but 3-gun has more equipment logistics (especially when it's hot and you're trying to reload yourself on water). I found it tricky to go from running the timer right to grabbing my gear and shooting next. My Co-RO...well, of course he is younger and does everything fast...

How about this (once we have the staff #'s to do it): 2 official RO's on squad duty and one trained/certified RO who is "light duty" and just runs the timer when the 2 RO's shoot? Just a thought.

As to the ammo situation...ugh! That sucks. Even though I have a fair supply now (certainly an "arsenal" or "cache" by media standards :rolleyes:) I know I'm going to try to do some rationing to make it last. If Katie's schedule let's her get back into shooting, it's really going to shrink my "cache." I would expect some more of the dreaded rimfire showing up in steel challenge (I stocked up on a LOT of that after the last drought :innocent0). I haven't shopped for shotgun ammo lately...if birdshot is still seemingly available, maybe 3 gun will shift to be a little more shotgun heavy for a while? One hit on rifle steel? :shrug:

It really really sucks that we've been riding this momentum of expansion (with the new berms and steel) to have to think about scaling back because of ammo. :mad54: But...what can you do? :shrug: (ride it out as best we can until the election while making sure a Dem isn't elected is my plan)

That's how I slowly worked into becoming an RO. I would run the tablet while the other ROs shot, then slowly went to timer on the regular SC stages. But there was still a lot of time spent with the others building up to eventually moving into the rotation.

To be honest, having someone just load the mags / pre-load the shotgun would be huge time saver, and let the RO focus on hydration after the stages. I remember yesterday thinking when we got ahead for once, "whew, finally some time to reload my mags". Then I realized I had forgotten to drink any water right as we started going....

The last SC, we had a easy-up over the RO's and shooter on one of the regular stages and that helped a ton with the heat stress from the sun.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I wasn't upset or critiquing, I was just showing you where the problem was. I appreciate everything you guys do.

I don't have easy answers for the ammo shortage. I will say that 223 rifle seems to be the real killer; 9mm and shotgun shells seem to be more available, at least for now.

Possible ideas I've been thinking about:
    1. Allow 2x4 divisions like in UML rules. Shooters in that division a pistol, shotgun, PCC, and a rifle, and choose two for every stage. This allows people to make the most of what ammo they do have. However, the downside is that shooters do need to be held accountable for shooting ALL the targets, including the shotgun targets, which may slow things down. Similarly, electing to go shotgun+rifle might require the stage designer thought about "pistol steel" distances, and poppers will need a falling steel backup target for non-shotgun shooters. It may also require some more thought about dump box positioning (and possibly letting shooters run with slung guns).
    2. Orient more of the stages around two guns to reduce round count.
    3. Use smaller steel and "spinnies" more judiciously. Misses consume ammo, and while a lot of those are on the shooter, harder targets do result in more of them, especially for newer shooters.

Thank you for these ideas. I will share with the stage designers and see what they can come up with without making things too complex.

The truth of the matter is this. We only had one withdrawal due to not being able to find ammo. Now, this does not account for those who never bothered to register. We are definitely going to try some of these ideas and see if it works.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thank you for these ideas. I will share with the stage designers and see what they can come up with without making things too complex.

The truth of the matter is this. We only had one withdrawal due to not being able to find ammo. Now, this does not account for those who never bothered to register. We are definitely going to try some of these ideas and see if it works.
    I know I bust your chops some, but I do try to be constructive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom