• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Howdy all!

I have had a Benelli M2 Field for a long while now. It has always been a birdshot gun. Exclusively!
    I’ve gotten the itch to get it right with buckshot. The Quest for 40-50y killzone is now on!

40ad02a5dd9aad043379db4c07fbb5ca.jpeg

I tossed a +6 under it for kicks and will be trying out a Carlson Buckshot Choke (.695 constriction) on my first time out. This particular tube goes on and off very easily to adapt it back to its three shell, hunting compliant configuration. I have a variety of flavors to try through it when I can. We have 9, 12, and 15 pellet 00, along with some 0Buck for good measure. I am hoping the range I’ll be going to tomorrow in North Carolina will have a patterning berm. If not, we’ll figure it out!

I can’t really find a thread or video on this particular subject (M2 Field Buckshot Patterning), so I figured I would slowly and sporadically update this thread with my findings.

- Brent
    70b0e7616d22f36c1c840f79e19a85cf.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    I'll be interested to see your results.

You may have to be patient haha. Finding somewhere to allow me to fire buckshot will be the catch.

I too am very curious. The phrase “50y Murder Machine” has come to mind. If I can get some degree of consistency in a pattern at that distance? Running bucks beware!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    You may have to be patient haha. Finding somewhere to allow me to fire buckshot will be the catch.

I too am very curious. The phrase “50y Murder Machine” has come to mind. If I can get some degree of consistency in a pattern at that distance? Running bucks beware!

I have a particular fondness for 12ga buckshot and I happen to really like the mag extension you added. I hope it does what you're intending because that woukd be a thing of beauty.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    I have a particular fondness for 12ga buckshot and I happen to really like the mag extension you added. I hope it does what you're intending because that woukd be a thing of beauty.

Absolutely. It really adds a new dimension to its capabilities if I can find a working combination. Although the answer might just be 3” flight controls when you can find ‘em

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Absolutely. It really adds a new dimension to its capabilities if I can find a working combination. Although the answer might just be 3” flight controls when you can find ‘em

3 inch Flight Control is exactly where I'd look. Curious not only what your pattern might look like at 50 yards, but thinking about your remaining muzzle velocity, and how much ass is left in that 00 pellet if/when it arrives on target. The more the merrier obviously.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    3 inch Flight Control is exactly where I'd look. Curious not only what your pattern might look like at 50 yards, but thinking about your remaining muzzle velocity, and how much ass is left in that 00 pellet if/when it arrives on target. The more the merrier obviously.

Call it lucky or not, my buddy dropped a buck in its tracks at 81y. He was using a BuckKicker. Not a shot I’d take with 00 but whatever. Saw a video on YouTube by someone I regard as in the know as well. He makes detailed videos on gun subjects such as shooting through walls etc. in any event I think he took it out to 60y with true life taking results. I know it SHOULD kill on the 50y line, and if I can’t reliable get my 3” Flight control’s…I need to find a substitute to have as well, or maybe even a better pattern. Who knows! Science!

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    They weren’t special order. Send him a message or call. Be prepared to talk. Tell him muddy sent you. These are for the cheap shells and won’t work with flight control shells. I can’t cover the pattern at 25 yards with my hand. A friend has killed a fox at 70 yards with his

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    They weren’t special order. Send him a message or call. Be prepared to talk. Tell him muddy sent you. These are for the cheap shells and won’t work with flight control shells. I can’t cover the pattern at 25 yards with my hand. A friend has killed a fox at 70 yards with his

Oh heck yeah! That sounds pretty good! I’ll definitely keep them in mind! I really appreciate the recommendation!

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    I was able to try 8 flavors through it yesterday. I was sort of pressed for time at the end of a long range day and blasted 8 papers with 8 shells. I’ll post em up soon!

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Howdy All!

I had a rushed moment at the end of a long range day to take 8 shots with the Benelli. Every shell seemed to have a different POI but I was able to capture the patterns well enough. The shots were taken from roughly 35 yards, not the distance I want the most, but it was the shot lane that was available at the time. I will do further testing at the ranges I am after (40-50) from the top performers.
    The clear winners were what I had believed them to be, but this first shell from a relatively unknown maker surprised me. For a 9 Pellet loading, this Fetter Surprised me.

G6g5N95.jpg

A LOT more than I had anticipated being within my black bulls. Not too bad, we'll take that one to the further testing!

s4Hkvdl.jpg

Winchester Military 9 Pellet 00. Yeah, about what I had anticipated. Leave this one in the 590A1 at the house.

pt9c6zP.jpg

I had a few random Federal "Tactical" 9 Pellet 00. Again, this won't be a hunting load for this gun!

gM9KsFt.jpg

Remington 9 Pellet 00. Another defense load here, move along.

EJv4q1P.jpg

Federal Personal Defense 9 Pellet 00. Barf.

BudpCwU.jpg

Federal 12 Pellet 0Buck. Now we are getting somewhere. I really DO like this group, but what reassures me most...my wife's gun is the 590A1. I want to test this Load through that platform. I really like this 0Buck. Seems like a capable close range killer on game, and a good idea for my Wife to have in her scattergun. +1

3mqlKss.jpg

YES. Federal 15 Pellet 00. I had the belief that this would do well. It did. Not a ton more to say. She's going out to the 40-50y testing for sure. +2

hq6tfna.jpg

Again, we knew this would be a solid performer. That is the good old Federal 12 Pellet Flight Control 00. This was shot without the Carlson choke. You don't need it, these puppies work. +3

That concluded the testing for yesterday. I can't wait to test at further distances. I believe I will have to do that on private property. No real idea of when I will get around to that, but I will. When I do, there will be another post in this vein.
    Thanks!

- Brent

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    865fac6f8bf9a5d39d7ab9e9e2f4cbb6.jpg

I tossed on a Burris Speed Bead and bore sighted it. Can totally see why I was shooting so damn high and left with slugs. Here’s a quick crappy cell phone pic of the set up now -

c8b369cb870d9d810377044ef096ee89.jpg

- Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom