• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Even the R/C's are getting expensive but yeah, I'd rather shoot one of those, where you can replace parts without affecting value.
    The fat slide swap is relatively cheap but it's not always easy to find all the internal slide parts.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have the hex pin thingie insert on my P1 but I found that the P1 could handle reduced loads pretty well and still cycle.
    Reduced load started out as an alox coated casted bullet but last year turned into a Powder coated load.
    I use the same reduced loads when shooting the P38 which comes out only about one or two times a year as part of a theme day and never a full box.
    The sights on the P38/P1 make them really great to shoot.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Even the R/C's are getting expensive but yeah, I'd rather shoot one of those, where you can replace parts without affecting value.
    The fat slide swap is relatively cheap but it's not always easy to find all the internal slide parts.

I always said the R/Cs should be legitimately collectable!

Mine is dripping with history. Pieces of it probably served all up and down the Ostfront, from Finland to the Caspian. I'm pretty sure the barrel served at Leningrad, the slide was at Moscow, and the frame fought at Stalingrad.

What could be more collectable? Mine is a collection in itself.

Jul 1, 2012
    I have the hex pin thingie insert on my P1 but I found that the P1 could handle reduced loads pretty well and still cycle.
    Reduced load started out as an alox coated casted bullet but last year turned into a Powder coated load.
    I use the same reduced loads when shooting the P38 which comes out only about one or two times a year as part of a theme day and never a full box.
    The sights on the P38/P1 make them really great to shoot.

Depending on when it was made you might also have the heavy slide and forged block (early 1970's) on your P1 (see pics). A fat slide and forged block setup is very robust. The hex pin is actually not a "reinforcement" per se, it was added purely to reduce the wear on the aluminum frame caused by the steel lock block when going back into battery. The hex pin actually weakens the frame since it punches a hole through the frame.

I always said the R/Cs should be legitimately collectable!

Mine is dripping with history. Pieces of it probably served all up and down the Ostfront, from Finland to the Caspian. I'm pretty sure the barrel served at Leningrad, the slide was at Moscow, and the frame fought at Stalingrad.

What could be more collectable? Mine is a collection in itself.

LOL. :)

Some of the R/C's are all-matching and the only detriment other than the accursed "X" (and maybe dip) might be an incorrect magazine or grips. There were a lot of really rare matching ones that Doug Smith (FRS) imported from Ukraine in the 1990's. He conveniently forgot to import-mark many of them. Then you have the complete mix-masters, which may have passed thru the East German rebuild programs with buffing etc. The R/C's also got broken up as parts sources, and some rare and unusual stuff got lost.

Attachments

• fat slide2.jpg
      fat slide2.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 229
    • fat slide 3.jpg
      fat slide 3.jpg
      94.9 KB · Views: 231
    • Cast vs Forged.jpg
      Cast vs Forged.jpg
      111.4 KB · Views: 237

UPSguy

WWII enthusiast
    Dec 31, 2020
    Carroll co
    Curious as to what your P.38 is... if something special you might not want to shoot it, or fit a 70's/80's "fat" slide to it.
    The slides (and barrel lock blocks) have a tendency to crack.

Just a few from the Thread of Woe on the P.38 forum. The 480 was a $6k pistol before that fatal shot.

Pic was actually a p38 from the range. I took before i got mine. Mine is actually a P1 early 70’s so i dont feel as bad taking it out as much.

Attachments

• 6B933965-C31D-4DDF-8285-8BD1A79854B1.jpg
      6B933965-C31D-4DDF-8285-8BD1A79854B1.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 207

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Austrian Steyr M95 and French Bethier went to the range. Both shot really high at 50 yards. French was about 10” and Austrian was over 16”.
    e7bae0bdd644f5f1aaf562da362ec499.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPSguy

WWII enthusiast
    Dec 31, 2020
    Carroll co
    Yeah i believe it does. Also, first time taking it apart, one of the 2 recoil spring guide pins broke. Because they are cheap plastic for some reason… just replaced both with metal ones. Big difference and less heartache.. good upgrade that i found out the hard way i guess.

Jul 1, 2012
    Yeah i believe it does. Also, first time taking it apart, one of the 2 recoil spring guide pins broke. Because they are cheap plastic for some reason… just replaced both with metal ones. Big difference and less heartache.. good upgrade that i found out the hard way i guess.

Weird... that part takes a beating... I have never seen plastic guide pins on a factory P1/P4/P38. I've seen a grip screw repurposed as a guide pin though.

UPSguy

WWII enthusiast
    Dec 31, 2020
    Carroll co
    Weird... that part takes a beating... I have never seen plastic guide pins on a factory P1/P4/P38. I've seen a grip screw repurposed as a guide pin though.

Yeah thought it was the weirdest thing… took the slide off and boing… spring flew across the room. Thank goodness it was before i shot it. But yeah, i was scratching my head as to why they were plastic.. the other one had a very tiny head for it to grab to the frame to hold in place that was cracked as well. I ordered “original” set from numrich and they were metal. Haven’t found any info on why they mine were plastic.

MTplinker

Dec 30, 2021
    Annapolis
    Melnic, I’ll do my part to keep this thread going. Next Saturday will be the first weekend I can get my K31 to the range since I got it. Will post pics then.

Ptreece

Dec 27, 2020
    Parkville
    Melnic, I’ll do my part to keep this thread going. Next Saturday will be the first weekend I can get my K31 to the range since I got it. Will post pics then.

Nice! I plan on taking mine out soon. It's probably my most accurate rifle. The only issue is that ammo is so expensive.

MTplinker

Dec 30, 2021
    Annapolis
    Nice! I plan on taking mine out soon. It's probably my most accurate rifle. The only issue is that ammo is so expensive.

What do you usually shoot PPU, surplus GP-11, Norma? Are you reloading 7.5 x 55? Of course if you mean compared to halcyon days of yore when bricks of GP11 surplus were available, then yeah. I missed that boat.

Here’s a theme day, Swiss Schuetzenfest. Shot off of backpacks prone. I’ll bring the Toblerone.

Ptreece

Dec 27, 2020
    Parkville
    What do you usually shoot PPU, surplus GP-11, Norma? Are you reloading 7.5 x 55? Of course if you mean compared to halcyon days of yore when bricks of GP11 surplus were available, then yeah. I missed that boat.

Here’s a theme day, Swiss Schuetzenfest. Shot off of backpacks prone. I’ll bring the Toblerone.

I missed that boat too. I'm shooting PPU right now. I have all the components for reloading except the dies. Once I get the dies I'll be set.

MTplinker

Dec 30, 2021
    Annapolis
    I missed that boat too. I'm shooting PPU right now. I have all the components for reloading except the dies. Once I get the dies I'll be set.

Well- I got Hornady dies and some A4064 and H4350. Gotta decide on some bullets, but Midway and even BP has Hornady 308s now.

Need primers, sigh.

I read various posts about RCBS, Lee, Redding sizing funny for K31 chambers vs for older K11 etc. I figure I’ll follow the advice to full length size and only bump the shoulder back a smidgen based on chamber measurement w my rifle.

I know neck sizing might translate to less work hardening. I’m willing to anneal etc if it means never worrying about inability to chamber.

Are you anywhere near Anne Arundel County?

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Made it out to Myrtle Grove this week. I had 3 new rifles to sight in but only finished 2 before I ran out of time.

First was a Ruger American Rimfire with a 4-12 Athlon Neos scope. After getting zeroed at 25 yds I backed it off to 50 yds and tried the 5 different types of .22lr that I had brought. I had expected it to perform best with Federal Automatch. I have 3 other Rugers and they all love this ammo, so I have it stacked deep. Not this one. The Automatch was the worst, followed closely by CCI Mini Mags. Norma Tac and CCI Blazer were just OK. What this rifle shot best was Sellier & Bellot Club. Which is cool with me since it's subsonic (listed at 1066 fps from a 700mm barrel) and pretty cheap. I'll be picking up more of this for sure.

Next up was a recently built 7.62x39 AR with a Sig Bravo 3 Prism scope with .300 Blackout BDC. Ammo for this was Wolf 122gr. FMJ, Brown Bear HP, Tula FMJ, Silver Bear SP, and Barual HP. As is the case with my other 7.62x39 rifles, the Barnual was the most accurate of the Russian steel case rounds.

All in all a fun day. Hope to get out there again soon.

Attachments

• Range Day 1.jpg
      Range Day 1.jpg
      50.7 KB · Views: 124
    • Range Day 2.jpg
      Range Day 2.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 126

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members