• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I was thinking the same thing.

Retired police officers are just as likely to suffer from Alzheimer's as anyone else.

Years ago, at the senior apartments a few blocks from me, two man had words about one of them sitting in his wheelchair in front of the other guy's mailbox.

Mailbox guy leaves, goes up to his apartment, comes back with a gun, and shoots the guy in the wheel chair dead. He then pushed him out of the way, got his mail, and went back to his apartment.

Turned out guy had Alzheimer's pretty bad.

I agree. I hope there's video from either in the lobby or parking lot cameras that will show weather he actually went to talk to a manager or did he go to his car and retrieve the handgun. Way too little info at this point to come to an intelligent verdict yet.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Didn't I get in an argument recently where I stated old white guys whipping out guns for minor shit is the scariest thing to an Anti and the guy told me that it doesn't happen??

Dan you around dan? :)

There's no live link video but the article speaks for itself?

<------gloating a little ;)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Didn't I get in an argument recently where I stated old white guys whipping out guns for minor shit is the scariest thing to an Anti and the guy told me that it doesn't happen??

Dan you around dan? :)

There's no live link video but the article speaks for itself?

<------gloating a little ;)

It will be interesting to see how this ends...

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Updated CNN article here.

Interesting developments (assuming the reporting is accurate):

1. The shooter appears to have had at least one past incident harassing someone texting at a movie theater. Not really enough to draw a conclusion, but it could point to dementia (given his age) or plain aggressive behavior.

2. The judge/DA denied him the protection of Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law almost immediately. Putting aside the possibility of political pressure, this probably means that there isn't remotely enough evidence to support a self-defense situation.

3. The theater had a "No Guns" policy. Yeah, glad that worked out.

Not closing the book on this one yet, but it's not looking good for the shooter.

Fortunately, it's also not looking good for this case to be used in a gun control crusade. Shooting happened in a "Gun Free Zone", shooter was retired LE who appeared to be lawfully carrying (other than GFZ violation), and SYG doesn't apply. I expect much of the media hype to die soonly.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Florida may be like VA, you CAN go into a restaurant that serves alcohol and legally CCW, but you cannot have a single drink.

Nope. Florida law is that if the establishment has a liquor license, no guns allowed where alcohol is served.

This theater is a "cinebistro" and people can eat and drink alcohol in the theater. They also have an age restriction.

This place is up the road from where one of my close colleagues lives.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Nope. Florida law is that if the establishment has a liquor license, no guns allowed where alcohol is served.

This theater is a "cinebistro" and people can eat and drink alcohol in the theater. They also have an age restriction.

This place is up the road from where one of my close colleagues lives.
    Thanks! I learned something new. It just goes to show once again that we need to read up on the laws before we visit other states.

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    Florida law regarding alcohol.....

(12)No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

That reads to me that you can be in a place that serves alcohol, you just can't be at the bar.

Fishinblues

Dec 22, 2012
    Just another reason to not trust the police. But then again they are above the law because they are the law, and only Uphold and adhere to the laws that they see fit.

He will probably get off due to being part of the "blue brotherhood" and an ex police chief.

People no longer trust the man. there are just way to many bad apples that get away with wrongs just because they carry a badge and a gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom