• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I'm looking to buy an AR-15. I pretty much was set on getting a Bushmaster until I looked at the Rock River last weekend. The Rock was impressive. Very nice finish and I liked the Hogue grips. Of course Bushmaster has a great reputation and seems to have good customer service.

Which one would you get? I'm looking for the M4 style with the detachable carry handle. The price I've seen is identical for both (around $1200).

Thanks for your comments :thumbsup:

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Does it have to be either of the two? I have a Fulton AR and love it. It shoots great and the price was unbelievable compared to other similar ARs.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Both are fine and you will get a lot of enjoyment out of either one.

BusDriver

Livin the hillbilly dream
    Feb 28, 2007
    The Hill Country
    I'm no expert just a recreational shooter . I have a Bushmaster AR15 and a Armalite AR10 with a shepard scope on it . I never had any problems with either one . :gun1::thumbsup:

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Folks have been saying the Bushmaster quality (and to some extent their customer service) has fallen off a bit recently as their sales volume has increased.

The only difference I noticed from holding both was the finish on the RR looked smoother and a bit higher quality. The Hogue grip was very impressive also - although I realize I could simply add that on to the Bush.

The Rocks seem to be the "hot" AR right now. I'll probably just end up with whichever one I can get a better deal on.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    What's the word on the Smith & Wesson M&P15? The price seems to be in line with the rest of them.
    swmp15.jpg

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Rock River.

I've been very impressed with the Rock Rivers I've shot and the ones I own.

There is nothing wrong with Bushy's, but the Rock River gives you more for your money

If you are looking for a M4 style gun $1200 is a little high. You should expect to pay about $1050-1095

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    I looked at both Rock River and Bushmaster AR’s. When you add all the additional features to the BM that come standard on the RR, the price was about the same. RR has a really good reputation for their 1911’s and that pushed toward them for the AR.

I just ordered a Rock River A4 Tactical for $950 from Baltimore’s Best Pawn in Finksburg. They had told me they could beat most anyone’s price and did.

Ken’s Outdoor (used to be Duffy’s on Falls Road in Sparks) has RR AR’s in stock for MSRP and they’re pretty good to deal with. I don’t think you’re going to find any big discount deals on AR’s in Maryland this year. Ken’s also has a few decent SKS in stock for less than $200.

Also, I picked up a really nice Russian SKS (AK style with detachable magazine) with a scope from Baltimore’s Best. It was a little on the high side but was incredibly well maintained by the PO.

Now I’m looking for the best ammo deals for both rifles.

Take care,
    Matt

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Also, I picked up a really nice Russian SKS (AK style with detachable magazine) with a scope from Baltimore’s Best. It was a little on the high side but was incredibly well maintained by the PO.

Now I’m looking for the best ammo deals for both rifles.

See if Somoss has any of the Silver Bear 7.62x39 left. He had a great price on it recently.

Congrats on two great purchases.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Well gang, I picked up my new Rock River Entry Tactical with A2 detachable carry handle yesterday! Thanks for all the advice.

From my multiple searches all around the web it seemed like RRA got slightly better marks than the Bush and it came with a few extras (match trigger, hogue grips, side sling clip) that the Bush lacked and it cost a little less than the Bushmaster.

Can't wait to get it out to the range. I hope Hap Baker can get rebuilt soon.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    :) Delmarva Sporting Clays, just off rt 50 from Salisbury just before
    the vienna bridge on the left.
    Handgun range
    long gun range 100, 200, 300
    all under cover bench set up's
    great people, old school, range
    10.00 for all day
    We did a group shoot there a while back, we need to do another.:party29:

410-742-2023 (range / shop)

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    :) Delmarva Sporting Clays, just off rt 50 from Salisbury just before
    the vienna bridge on the left.
    Handgun range
    long gun range 100, 200, 300
    all under cover bench set up's
    great people, old school, range
    10.00 for all day
    We did a group shoot there a while back, we need to do another.:party29:

410-742-2023 (range / shop)

Awesome. I'm there. That group shoot idea sounds great too.

I'm going to be in Salisbury this weekend. Grandparents live right near the baseball stadium. Maybe I'll bring some rifles down with me and give it a try. Any chance of you being there this weekend?

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    I'm near the stadium also. It's a fun range, you go into the old store/gun shop
    pay your ten bucks, they give you a few targets. They have staple guns ,ear protection, spoter scopes for you to use at no charge. You will like it.
    Now, don't tell anyone about this place....:lol2: , have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom