• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I've been offered one. Should be looking at it tomorrow. I'm told it's of Remington Manufacture. Smith-Corolla made them too? One had problems, exploding Receivers? Any other Tips on what to look for ? What's a Fair Market Price for one according to NRA Ratings these days?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Lambo said:
    I've been offered one. Should be looking at it tomorrow. I'm told it's of Remington Manufacture. Smith-Corolla made them too? One had problems, exploding Receivers? Any other Tips on what to look for ? What's a Fair Market Price for one according to NRA Ratings these days?

Some of the early 1903's with low serial numbers which were not double heat treated had problems. It's unlikely that an 03A3 has this problem unless it was put together from an early receiver by someone.

Yes Smith Corona made some as well.

I think you should look for one that does not have any obvious metal wear. Some of these were used in action, most were just used by ancillary troops. Replacement stocks are available if the stock is really beat up.

Stay away from any that that were built by National Ordnance or if not, knock off $100-$200. These were made from surplus parts.

My 2nd Addition Military Firearms (2003) has Good as $300 an Excellent as $400. Like every other US firearm however prices have gone through the roof. I'd expect to pay $500 for what I would consider a good one. Closer to $650 or $700 for an excellent one. These are however, the most accurate milsurp out there IMHO without modification.

Last edited:

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    K31 said:
    Well, did you score one?

No! He had my phone # and address and was to be in
    Bel Air area on other business. He said he would bring the Rifle to my house for viewing. The guy never showed or phoned!:mad54: Such is life!
    Good News: My 1st CMP Purchase,
    I mailed the Paper Work yesterday. Trying my luck on one of those Greek returns! I know your buying a pig in a poke and you better well love pork, but I can't have both a Garand & M1A on my Budget without grading down on one or the other. Hell, who knows, I may be dead by tomorrow. I've been putting off buying them for over 20 years as is !
    I know there Re-builds with either Birch or Beechwood Greek Stocks but just like cars, "if it looks great but doesn't run what good is it"! It's more about mechanics(Good Shooter). Stocks are easier and cheaper to replace.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I just read of a guy on another forum who was waiting on an M1 from CMP and was at the range when someone pulled up and opened up a case with a "beautiful" "Greek service grade".

Your mileage may vary.

You can get some wood from CMP too.

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    A friend of mine that I work with just went to the CMP store at Camp Perry and purchased a beautiful Greek Field grade M1. He shot it over the weekend and it hit dead center at 100 yds. The finish looks like it was never issued. You may just luck out and get a great deal. I know my M1 from the CMP is not perfect but I think it has a lot of history and it is very accurate. I can not wait until I can make another trip to the CMP store and pick up 2 more so that I can give one each to my boy's.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I can not wait until I can make another trip to the CMP store and pick up 2 more so that I can give one each to my boy's.

God that's beautiful!

Norton and I made the trip two summers ago. We drove from Annapolis all the way to Camp Perry and back in one day so he could pick out the Garand that he wanted instead of just getting whatever they sent him.

It was a great drive. I'd gladly do it again.:party29:

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    I was talking with my friend today and he said that they had about 200 barreled actions at the CMP store for $295. He said he might make another trip to pick up a couple of these to build. He said everything was there except for the stock and stock hardware. He said he did not look real close at them but he talked to several people that were going through them and they said that they were in great condition. Anybody have any experience building a M1 from the barreled action?

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    I went to Camp Perry to the CMP North Store last Wednesday and picked up a woodless Danish returned M1 Garand. They had what was listed as rack grade, but from what I saw most were in excellent condition. The first one I picked up was a 55,xxx serial number with a 4-43 barrel. It looked very good for an early SN and I went to the counter to have the TE and ME gauged. The ME gauged 2 and the TE gauged 2 also, but the headspace was very bad. I had not noticed when I picked up the gun that a few threads were showing on barrel at the receiver. They told me that they could not allow the gun to be sold. I told them I could take it to a gun smith and have it head spaced, but no dice. I searched for about 20 minutes and found a very good SN 844,xxx wth a 1949 barrel gun and had it checked for TE and ME. The TE was less than 2 and the ME was between 2-3. I told George to show me a few of the CMP stock sets and I picked out a really nice dark stain walnut stock. They had some with light stain but I really preferred the dark stain. I purchased the stock hardware from my friend that also has a passion for trading M1 parts and put the gun together last Friday. Saturday morning my oldest son and I stepped out of my basement and unloaded about 4 clips off hand at a target that I keep in my field below my house. We both shot 3" groups!! I can not wait to set up my shooting table and see what happens off the sand bags. We had to get ready to leave for an out of town wedding so we did not shoot the M1 anymore over the weekend. By the way the stock is really nice and after I hand polish it with boiled lindseed oil it will be even better. So now I have 2 Garands, one for each of my sons, for when I am no longer around to care about such things. The only thing is I also found out that the CMP only has Garands for about 1 more year at the current rate of sales...so another trip for maybe one more is necessary. Then I will have a Garand for each of us to shoot together:) .

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    CMP Visit Last Week

I forgot to mention that they also had about 6 correct grade HRA Garands ($900), and maybe 25-30 1917 Eddystone rifles ($350) that were in very good condition. With the National Match happening now I doubt that they will be there very long.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    WESTMD said:
    I forgot to mention that they also had about 6 correct grade HRA Garands ($900), and maybe 25-30 1917 Eddystone rifles ($350) that were in very good condition. With the National Match happening now I doubt that they will be there very long.

This is kind of like getting to the fishing hole and being told: "Boy, you should have seen this place yesterday!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom