• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Love my 229. But it's a brick. That's not a bad thing, if you run out of ammo you can club someone with it. Or hammer a hole into a concrete wall or something.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I have a P229 Stainless Elite in 9mm. It is heavy, but a very soft shooter because of the weight. If a 45acp is in the cards, a P220 could be a good choice. My old West German model is an excellent pistol. The triggers on the older Sigs leave a bit to be desired, but they can be replaced (by Sig or Gray guns, for example) or gotten used to with practice. Good luck.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    If you get a p22X series make sure you get the Short Reset Trigger (SRT) it makes a huge difference. I also prefer the reduced reach trigger and the Houge G10 grips.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    I love my P226. As has been mentioned, however, it is a brick. Especially since it's the stainless version and also in .40. But it has the Short Reset Trigger internals and the Short Reach Trigger installed and it's a blast to shoot.

Having said that, I absolutely LOVE my SP2022 in 9mm. Much better gun than the price would indicate, very accurate, 15 rd mags. The trigger is amazing.
    In contrast, I absolutely hated my P250c in 9mm. The trigger was awful.

My SP2022 on the left, no longer my P250c on the right:
    SP2022-P250c.jpg

ivzarleinad

Jun 6, 2017
    I have to say, I highly recommend the P365. It is what I carry. Same size as my Glock 43, but 10-12 rounds instead of 6. And the trigger is nice too. If you like carrying the 43 I think you will really enjoy the P365.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Something good for both EDC and IDPA is a tall order, but not impossible provided you realize you will need to carry something larger/heavier, or compete with something smaller, unless you plan on sticking to the CCP or BUG divisions. Much depends on what you have spent trigger time with, I moved away from DA/SA pistols years ago, only keep a couple for range use being I don't practice with that trigger mode. That leaves DAK, SAO, and their striker guns. Of those DAK is pretty much gone, and kinda sucks, instead of a consistent pull with a short reset and long takeup ALA GLOCK, the pull is heavier with a short reset, and lighter if you let the trigger all the way out. I love my SAO, but outside of the legion, the reset is the old long standard, without a kit to shorten it up, and while it doesn't take long to get the hang of working the safety, I prefer a simpler setup. That basically leaves the 320/365 series. Both are excellent pistols with a ton of 320 variants, both have good familiar GLOCK-ish triggers, and can serve in both roles. I LOVE my 365, it is my EDC, and have used it for a steel challenge match with surprisingly good results, it has a reputation as being unreliable, but mine has been flawless after several hundred rounds through it, save for 2 short cycling jams within the first 50 rounds using unusually wide nosed 147gr V-crown ammo. I have seen a mix of reviews, mostly great, a few having issues, primarily with early models, but you need to test ANY carry gun till you are confident in it. Even still, a compact would be good, the X-carry would probably be the best they have to work both roles.

Sigfan77

My dog loves his Sig, too
    Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    Any Sig is a good Sig to own. I have 20+ year old guns as well as less then a year guns and they all shoot better than I do and they work. I mainly have the P series plus some of the 1911 series. Buy one and enjoy, Chris.

You've probably never owned a Mosquito, then.

Sigfan77

My dog loves his Sig, too
    Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    I've owned my 226 for 25+ yrs now, 1000s of rounds through it and never had an FTF/FTE. EVER. Love my 220 (just bought it last year), too but I wouldn't recommend either for daily carry. I won't even talk much about my Mosquito because it won't suit your needs.

That said, my 320 Standard Carry would certainly work very well for your dual-purpose requirements. That would be my recommendation.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Bought a 226 last July .worked fine for almost 3 months then magazine starred to disengage while shooting . Wouldn’t fall out , you couldn’t pull it out but as soon as I would shoot out it came .sent it back to Sig end of October and they still have it . Can’t / won’t give me answer when it will be returned . Bought it on a recommendation and I wanted a top shelf handgun. Well not real happy with it for obvious reasons and their customer service to me is horrible. I regret buying it and for me I won’t buy another one of their products . Hey they been great for other people but my experience with Sig has been far from positive. Spoke with other people who had warranty issues also who where less than happy.should have bought the Berreta,which I am familiar with and has never let me down. Like it a lot when it worked ,great gun to shoot , just a negative situation for me all around with Sig and their product.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    While most shootings don't require more than three rounds, I have never heard anyone who said they regretted having too much ammunition.

It sounds like you are moving to something smaller rather than larger. I don't think there is much difference between the P226 and P229. I've carried both. The P229 has been on my hip for 15+ years and it is fine. The P320/P250 are interesting because you can swap sizes easily and keep the identical trigger. My preference is the DAO P250, just because I like a hammer over striker. If I want a striker, I carry a Glock, G27 or G22, but my preference for small carry is my sub compact P250. The long pull trigger on the P250 is reminiscent of my revolver days, only the trigger is much smoother than any revolver I've carried.

SIG and HK handguns are a bit on the overpriced side of the market, IMO. While they are good guns and well made, they don't perform any better and they are no more reliable than Glock, IMO.

My only real suggestion is look for a police trade-in after you have shot a few of your potential choices. Let friends know what you are looking for and see if anyone is willing to let you put a few magazines through their pistol. I firmly believe that no one can choose a firearm for another person. What works for me, works for me. The only wrong answer is choosing something that doesn't work for you.

Be safe.
    I agree. However my SHTF guns are all HKs right now (USP-Compact, USP)
    Biggest reason is I can switch between 3 calibers in the USP-C with just a barrel change. Same mags, same slide and same recoil assembly and they all shoot fine. Working on the USP now. Its a .40 so it will shoot .357Sig fine. Just need to work it up for 9mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom