• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Thanks for your help in advance!

I'm trying to help an old friend stop losing sleep because he thinks the ATF could come knocking on his door over standard capacity mags he has owned for over ten years for his "now-banned in Marylandistand" semi-auto rifles.

Like the membership here, I fully understand the state laws. And I know the law has been discussed a bazillion times here. :thumbsup:

What I need is a web link to the MD FSA Statute - specifically the mag capacity text.

That way I can better educate and help him understand the law.

Thanks!!

j8064

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Here's the closest I was able to locate..

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=4-305&ext=html&session=2018RS&tab=subject5

This is from the law... Notice possession is not listed.

A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/FAQs.aspx

See the FIREARMS SAFETY ACT 2013 (SB 281) section...

It appears that registration of "already owned" regulated/banned firearms, after 10/1/13 is no longer part of the law? Do owners need to register those rifles? Or register already owned (greater than 10 round) magazines?
    ​Any firearm lawfully owned prior to October 1, 2013 is not required to be registered. Magazines are not required to be registered.​

If possession was part of the law - then thousands of us would be in trouble.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Here's the closest I was able to locate..

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=4-305&ext=html&session=2018RS&tab=subject5

This is from the law... Notice possession is not listed.

A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/FAQs.aspx

See the FIREARMS SAFETY ACT 2013 (SB 281) section...

It appears that registration of "already owned" regulated/banned firearms, after 10/1/13 is no longer part of the law? Do owners need to register those rifles? Or register already owned (greater than 10 round) magazines?
    ​Any firearm lawfully owned prior to October 1, 2013 is not required to be registered. Magazines are not required to be registered.​

If possession was part of the law - then thousands of us would be in trouble.

A direct link to that text is exactly what I'm looking for! Your link is to the GA bill...

I need a link to the enacted MD law...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181201-210548.jpg
      Screenshot_20181201-210548.jpg
      54.9 KB · Views: 575

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I'm a bit out of my wheel house here - but I think that link was for the passed law (not the house and senate bills). It just so happens to reside on the MGA website..

Per the FAQ:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmWebsiteHelp.aspx

Its says:

How do I access the Laws of Maryland?
    Use the Statutes link at the top of the home page to find information and access Maryland laws.

And §4–305 of the Criminal Law Statutes is the clip (and link) above...

Some other third party sites provide as well..

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2017/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-3/section-4-305/

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    A direct link to that text is exactly what I'm looking for! Your link is to the GA bill...

I need a link to the enacted MD law...

The first link in his post is to the current MD Criminal Law statute. That is the state's official site where they publish the law. That's it.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The first link in his post is to the current MD Criminal Law statute. That is the state's official site where they publish the law. That's it.

Looking again, you are correct.

Thanks holesonpaper! That's exactly what I needed!

:thumbsup:

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Re (future) registration; Unlike a firearm that has a manufacturer and serial number, none of my magazines have any identifying marks whatsoever. Not sure how a law to register previously owned magazines would be done. IMHO, that's why MD limited purchase and sale, not possession. No way to enforce the regulation.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Re (future) registration; Unlike a firearm that has a manufacturer and serial number, none of my magazines have any identifying marks whatsoever. Not sure how a law to register previously owned magazines would be done. IMHO, that's why MD limited purchase and sale, not possession. No way to enforce the regulation.

Unless they are Magpul PMAGs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom