• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    A Maryland resident can transfer a regulated firearms to another Maryland resident using the Maryland State Police (MSP). This is a writeup about that process.

A few notes
    1) This is only between Maryland residents. If the buyer and seller are from different states, an FFL must be used.
    2) The FSA of 2013 "banned" some previously "regulated" firearms. Those cannot be transferred (e.g. non-HBAR AR15s)
    3) You could also do this transfer through an FFL. It'll be more expensive, and not really any more convenient (with exceptions)

What the MSP says about the process
    The Maryland State Police Application and Affidavit to Purchase a Regulated Firearm (MSP 77R) can ONLY be completed through the Licensing Portal. Before beginning your 77R application you will need to create an account with a valid email address. Creating an account assists us with verifying your identity and ensures the safety of your personal demographics. Once you have created your account you will be able to log in to start your 77R applicaton. Upon submission of your 77R application you will receive a confirmation email with your application number and PIN number. Bring both items (application number and PIN number) to a licensed Maryland Regulated Firearm Dealer or to a Maryland State Police Barrack to complete the applicaiton process. The Dealer/Barrack will complete the application and submit it to Licensing Division. On the 8th day after the application has been submitted to Licensing Division by the Dealer or Barrack you will receive an email notifying you of your final disposition. If the notification email states your final disposition is Not Disapproved or Initial Review Not Disapproved this means that you have been approved and can now pick up your weapon. However if the notification email states your final disposition is Disapproved then you may contact the Maryland State Police for more information on the Disapproval; no further details will be provided in the notification email.

Here's a good discussion of one member's experience working through the process
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=213706&highlight=MSP+Transfer+barracks

List of Barracks

Glen Burnie. Yes (mostly good experiences)
    800 Aviation Boulevard, Glen Burnie, MD 21061, 410-761-5130, msp.glenburnie@maryland.gov
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/FieldOperationsBureau/BarrackPGlenBurnie.aspx

Annapolis Yes. Good experience reported. Supposedly available 24/7
    610 Taylor Avenue Annapolis, MD 21401 410-267-5800/Fax 410-216-9272 msp.annapolis@maryland.gov
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/FieldOperationsBureau/BarrackJAnnapolis.aspx

Waterloo. Yes (mixed experiences)

Rockville. Yes. Good experiences reported.

Frederick. Yes. Good experiences reported. Supposedly will do it 24/7.

Bel Air. Yes. Good experiences reported.

Step by step process for a buyer
    I am updating this as I work though the process myself and as people provide me info

1) Get an HQL (you need the HQL number to fill out the 77r)
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx
    http://www.scotts-gunsmithing.com/m...ctions/hql-standard-application-instructions/

2) Fill out online 77r
    You will need the seller's full name and an email address.
    https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MspBridgeClient/#/home

3) After submitting the form, you'll receive an email from the MSP licensing division with your pin and application number. Proceed to an MSP barracks. This is where it can get tricky as not all the barracks/troopers are consistent.

4) Proceed to your preferred barracks.
    Bring with you
    Buyer: Driver's license, HQL card, Piece of paper with the application number and pin written on it.
    Seller: Driver's license. The gun being transferred

Leave the gun in the car. Tell them you are there to complete a 77R. They'll want driver's licenses for both parties, and the HQL of the buyer. You will need to provide the application number and the pin number you received in step 3. At this point, the trooper will do some paperwork stuff. Eventually they'll need to see the gun. They may want to go out to your vehicle, or they may ask you to bring it in. There is a $10 fee that you must pay with a credit card (no cash, no checks). That's pretty much it.

5) After about 7 days, the seller will receive a not disapproved email (hopefully). At this point, the gun can change hands.

Comments and Other Threads
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5380114&postcount=16

Last edited:

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Thanks, I am thinking of consolidating the information and making it a step by step in the first post.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I can find nothing that indicates Annapolis does them. If anybody can verify otherwise, I'd love to know.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I can find nothing that indicates Annapolis does them. If anybody can verify otherwise, I'd love to know.

Yes, they do. I did one there a month ago, and the Sgt behind the window couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. He's a gun guy, too, and was very interested in the Springfield Saint we were transferring.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Really. Good to know. I tried calling, but only hit dead ends with the phone menus. Was planning on stopping by, but...

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Has anybody received a clear answer on the whole daylight thing? Is it barracks specific?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    That's an answer people have received about what hours they can bring the handgun to the barracks.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Anybody got some good links either here or external for the HQL process? I'll put them in the step one.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The Barracks and their computers are operational 24 hours a day so there should be no bar to going at any hour you choose.

That said, try to avoid the morning and afternoon rush hours because the road Troopers are busy and the Desk Troopers can be slammed with calls or radio traffic.

If the Desk Trooper says they are "too busy" with a Trooper vehicle chase or "whatever" at that time to help you, tell them you are willing to wait. I have found the Desk Trooper is usually freed up in 15-20 minutes, even if they say "you might have to wait an hour".

Do NOT accept a Desk Trooper's command to "take it to a gun store". I have been told that and responded, "Sir, I understand this transfer service is available to me and I wish to have this done here and I can take a seat over there until you are not busy".

That signals to them that you know you have a right to have transfers done at a barrack. Walking away makes it harder for the next guy or gal because you are rewarding a Trooper who pulls this BS and he/she will make it SOP.

Jk2013

Apr 26, 2016
    Frederick MDSP does the transfer as well. I’ve done 3 transfer there and were extremely nice and helpful

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I did one at the Frederick barracks and one at the Waterloo barracks, both we pretty quick and easy. The Waterloo barracks even had public WiFi, that we used for the seller to fill out his info on the 77R.I don't know if the Frederick barracks has WiFi as we filled out all the the 77R ahead of time.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The Annapolis barracks is good to go. The trooper at the front desk stated they'd do it 24/7. We were in and out with no problems and no wait.

I guess one thing to keep in mind is that a barracks could potentially be busy and or understaffed. Point is, in some cases a little patience would be warranted.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    The MGA designated MSP as one option for person to person transfer. Despite what MSP believes, that's the law. some troopers are very knowledgeable of the process, some less so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom