• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    My son is running track in high school, and because of that I've ran a few 5k's with him and really enjoyed it. Any runners/joggers here? If so, what do you run?

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I run the Air Force's joke of a fitness test (1.5 miles) every year and I'm training for the Baltimore Half Marathon in October.

leekl03

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Mary's County
    I'm still running the Marine Corps 3 mile physical fitness test (PFT). I'm working on gettign my time back down to what i was running in the corps.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I run the Air Force's joke of a fitness test (1.5 miles) every year and I'm training for the Baltimore Half Marathon in October.
    If no one's already told you, the Baltimore Half Marathon is pretty hilly.

Not a bad course, though it doeas go through sketch hoods between Johns Hopkins and Lake Montibello. Never had any problems, but also haven't seen this much gunfire in years.

Finishing up past Camden Yards and M & T is pretty cool.

Good luck!

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I'm still running the Marine Corps 3 mile physical fitness test (PFT). I'm working on gettign my time back down to what i was running in the corps.

That's what I was doing until I got injured, but have a ways to go when I start up again. 21:30 used to be so "mediocre" . . .:sad20:

leekl03

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Mary's County
    yeah one time i ran a 18:45 in okinawa. i was jacked up ripped fuel when i did it. felt like my heart was going to explode. now i'm running about 26:30. not good not bad either. what type of injury?

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Run MWF about 4 miles at pax. swim Tu-th in the pool or bay weather and jellyfish permitting.
    Allows me to drink beer without looking like the keg.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    What do you guys think is a respectable time for a 5k?

Depends on your age, gender, and prior experience. My brothers-in-law both run cross-country in college, so their "respectable" times are at or below 16 minutes. For me, I feel good when I break 20. If my dad went out and broke 30 minutes, I'd be proud but also worried that he might have a heart attack. So it all depends on the runner.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    Depends on your age, gender, and prior experience. My brothers-in-law both run cross-country in college, so their "respectable" times are at or below 16 minutes. For me, I feel good when I break 20. If my dad went out and broke 30 minutes, I'd be proud but also worried that he might have a heart attack. So it all depends on the runner.

I've got a ways to go then...I'm running a 5k in around 25 minutes.

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    i run couple of days a week to keep myself up for the army pt test. i run my two miles on avg 15 min but generally run 3-4 miles at about a 8-8.5 min/mile pace. i also like cycling a lot more than running. i feel i get a longer and better workout and the week preparing me for my PT test i generally do nothing buy cycle so my legs feel nice and fresh for the run.

i generally do all the running and cycling on Ft Meade.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    yeah one time i ran a 18:45 in okinawa. i was jacked up ripped fuel when i did it. felt like my heart was going to explode. now i'm running about 26:30. not good not bad either. what type of injury?

Possible sports hernia, from most likely working over the heavy bags muay thai-style too much when combined with weights/running five days a week. I had just started to step things up from three days a week to five when I got a severe lower ab pain while trying to lift an extremely heavy waterlogged plant pot. I had mild pain in the same general area before the Hercules imitation, but there was definitely a problem at that moment.:tdown: I'm at the end of 30 days' light duty to see if I can avoid surgery by taking it easy. So far so good, but I don't know about when I can get back to training. Some sources say it may be months without surgery (I consider surgery a last resort if rest fails).

My best 3-mile time before getting hurt was 26-something (not exactly sure of the distance I'm running, it's like 3.25 by the map). But the average was 27-28 min, sometimes even bleeding over to 29:00 on an off day :sad20: . I run around the Mall between the Capitol and the Wash. Mon., and over a few blocks to/from my office.

What do you guys think is a respectable time for a 5k?

It depends on your age and goals. If you were a couch potato, I think a 30 min 5K is a good target. If you are in better shape, then I think a 24:00 is a good all-around goal. As mentioned, I used to average 21:30, with my best time of 18:xx one day (at age 19) during a run similar to what leekl03 described (without the ripped fuel LOL). I would be proud to run a 24:00.

roberte33

Feb 26, 2009
    AA county
    I used to run. Ran a marathon ONCE. I was stationed in Athens and decided to run the annual Marathon following the original route from Marathon to Athens. Another Air Force guy and I trained for several months before the event. We ran 5k and 10k runs every other day for a month before the event. We both finished. My time was 6hrs 11 mins. and is recorded in a record book dating back from when they first started dating such things. I was 30 years old and by chance the number that I was assigned to run with was #30. My legs, especially my knees, hurt for years. I don't run anymore. Legs are better. Would I do it again? Not sure.:rolleyes:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I'm training for the army 10 miler in October.

I'm still pushing 220, so my times are more befitting a penquin. I can probably still qual on the navy pt test though..... Anyone care to post what the pt tests are for the army and marines? I'd be curious to see what they were...

I'm up to 3 miles four days a week, with one day for pace, one day of hills, one long run and one to put miles in the bank. Moving to 4 miles next week for the long run....

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    I run alot...or did run alot...

I'm trying to gain muscle mass, so I reduced my runs from 8-9 mile runs to sprint work on the local outdoor track

I run the 1.5 mile in 8:40....and since I've dropped the distance runs, I do alot of interval training, and 800 meter repeats on the track....when I'm training, the 800 metter repeates are 2:40 or so

I'm 21, 6'3 and 193 lbs......gained 9 lbs of muscle in 3 months....so droppng the distance running from my workout schedule and upping my lifting from 3 days a week to 5 really helped

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom