• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I haven't been able to get out in a while. Seems like whenever I have time the river has been running high from all the rain, and its back up again after the weekend rains.

Charlie Taylor's weekly report usually has a pretty good summary of what's been going on.

http://www.charlietaylorfishing.com/fishing_report.htm

Thanks for this link! I'm bookmarking it.

On Friday evening at East Potomac Park I saw a guy wheeling out a wagon with at least 20 catfish and a few huge carp. He said he was using squid and cut bait.

I guess he was going to eat them? Sell them?

I don't know why people keep the fish they catch there. I fish there because it's the closest place for me to go from my house and I'm always curious to see what I can get on my line. I have never eaten fish from there because of the advisories. I know the water is much cleaner since the Blue Plains improvement project went online but I'm not ready to eat anything out of that water yet.

MemoryOne85

Oct 14, 2013
    Rockville,MD
    Hello, last year I tried to pickup fishing. Wasn't really sure what I was doing. Was probably because I was in a busy area off of Black Hills.
    I'd cast out a worm and all would come back is a nub.
    Does anyone do local fishing group trips and is up for teaching a 33yo newbie?

I have my own rod - some kinda Ugly Stik.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    With the weather forecast to go downhill yesterday, and a father prone to seasickness, I decided to stay close to the marina for yesterday’s trip. We trolled up a four person limit, and released a few more.
    5A0B3DDE-B456-4837-BBF0-A581C89CB6DE.jpg

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Hello, last year I tried to pickup fishing. Wasn't really sure what I was doing. Was probably because I was in a busy area off of Black Hills.

You need a smaller hook, or a bigger bait

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

On Friday evening at East Potomac Park I saw a guy wheeling out a wagon with at least 20 catfish and a few huge carp. He said he was using squid and cut bait.

I don't know why people keep the fish they catch there. I fish there because it's the closest place for me to go from my house and I'm always curious to see what I can get on my line. I have never eaten fish from there because of the advisories. I know the water is much cleaner since the Blue Plains improvement project went online but I'm not ready to eat anything out of that water yet.

Cats and carp are both invasive and many people simply kill them if they catch them.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Black Hills as in Germantown MD ? The nub was probably courtesy of Bluegills.
    Fishing with nightcrawlers for Bass does take some experience for less misses. If you have a Bass size hook, it's pretty difficult to set it on a Bluegill.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

I actually work directly with a high level DOEE (Department of Energy and Environment). They have done multiple studies over the last few years and have tested the catfish and found them to be exceptionally clean. I make it a point to go check who is fishing in Anacostia Park and introduce myself to them. There is a guy named Matt (Rides his bike with a baby stroller in tow he uses to carry his gear) who is always down there and I've seen some 30-40lb fish in his cart.

4000 Deane Avenue Northeast, Washington, DC

Park is easily accessible ON/OFF 295 and the park itself is very safe. If you have any questions on where to actually drop your line let me know via PM. I can get you a map and if it's during the day can even meet you over there while i'm working. Only fish the incoming tide.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    My Son and I went out for Shark off Cape Canaveral Fl Monday night beautiful weather got a nice black nose that made some very tasty grilled kabobs. The Capt left the lights on the rear of the boat on the ride back in looked cool, check that one off the bucket list.

Attachments

• Shark Off Cape Canaveral 2018.jpg
      Shark Off Cape Canaveral 2018.jpg
      58.4 KB · Views: 234
    • Back of boat returning.jpg
      Back of boat returning.jpg
      17.1 KB · Views: 231

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Fishing with ChrisD

First time out fishing with ChrisD, though I've been wanting to go out with him for a while.
    We had a real exciting start to our day. As Blaster said earlier, we limited out by 7:30 AM. Chris lived up to his reputation of knowing when and where the feeding fish were. it was a non-stop morning. Later we tried for some perch and later did a little trolling, but it seemed the bite was over early. regardless, we filled the boat. What a great time spent with good friends. Amy, Blaster, Mrs O, and moi with a good sampling of this morning's work(fun).

Chris is still booking trips. For info on that, please PM him. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• fish.jpeg
      fish.jpeg
      63.2 KB · Views: 206

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Heading out!
    6336ef514bb498cee15def152f6f2f30.jpg
    c9cea5ac88eb44e7c301c22aef8c9afd.jpg

First time out fishing with ChrisD, though I've been wanting to go out with him for a while.
    We had a real exciting start to our day. As Blaster said earlier, we limited out by 7:30 AM. Chris lived up to his reputation of knowing when and where the feeding fish were. it was a non-stop morning. Later we tried for some perch and later did a little trolling, but it seemed the bite was over early. regardless, we filled the boat. What a great time spent with good friends. Amy, Blaster, Mrs O, and moi with a good sampling of this morning's work(fun).

Chris is still booking trips. For info on that, please PM him. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words, and for going!
    Monday is open, and I’m trying to fill in a make up trip! Need 3 more to go!
    If I could get 4 or 5 to go from here, I’ll make a donation to this website like the last time.
    443-986-3048 for info.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Already a great time with Chris. If for anything, pick Chris's brain about boating, fishing, and anything Chesapeake Bay.
    0963a56b9ce93d4ae00f4e309cc6eb18.jpg
    a18f49e0e535a12da94e1e3790e0a5a2.jpg
    20e75f2f42f35fd29ff5b610a694add7.jpg

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Already a great time with Chris. If for anything, pick Chris's brain about boating, fishing, and anything Chesapeake Bay.
    20e75f2f42f35fd29ff5b610a694add7.jpg

I think you guys went RIGHT BY me today. Did you go back in to the Patapsco about 11:30? Where'd you fish? We got skunked off the reefs there (caught 2 shorts)

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I think you guys went RIGHT BY me today. Did you go back in to the Patapsco about 11:30? Where'd you fish? We got skunked off the reefs there (caught 2 shorts)

Yes I fish from the Hard Yacht Cafe on Bear Creek so we headed back into the Patapsco. The boat is pictured in my sig line below. Open Monday, and trying to put a trip together.:D

stank

Lifes Good
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pasadena
    Here's a few of my 8K- 10k Large Mouth Bass that I raise every year for the MD DNR to be released for you Bass guys.
    lshDaza.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom